Does getting certified hold any value in Industry now a days?

While interviewing some candidates, I found them talking more about their certifications than interests. There was this guy whom I interviewed who started saying "I am Sun certified Java professional, Oracle certified, Microsoft certified and CISCO certified." But when I asked a few basic questions he could not answer them.

I have seen people studying from dumps and as the certification exam pattern doesn't change much, people easily get certified. In their own words "certification guarantees you a job opportunity or at least gives you an interview?"

I am just looking for the views of CEans here as to what they think? Does getting certified really give you an edge now a days?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A certificate or any degree if basically a formal confirmation of your knowledge. But the way degrees are allotted and certificates are distributed these days, I'd rather not trust anyone who shows me an array of certifications.

In fact, when a candidate has formal certification and cannot answer basic questions; it creates a very negative impression and often leads to rejection. The bottom line is that certificates don't guarantee a job. It's just a marketing hype created by those who sell these certifications.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Well, I think both i.e Certificates & knowledge are equally important.
    If I say I am 10th pass out but since last 5 years I am doing nothing but just learning on my own & I know C,Linux Device drivers,Kernel architecture,ARM programming,etc will you hire me ? No! At that time you will ask me for the certificates for those skills.

If certificates aren't that important, then I wouldn't have wasted my time in Diploma Engineering & then after bachelor Engineering. I would rather learn whatever I want myself in these six years.
    Inshort both certificates & knowledge is equally important, & yeah the certificates do increases your opportunity to get better job.
    Sad thing, but that's truth.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    I think I have been misunderstood. By certifications I mean the technical certifications like OCJP, MCP, SCJP and not the formal b.tech degree.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I just wanted to know about a particular certification- "Charted engineer". Charted Engineer: What is it?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Nick_Sharma
    I think I have been misunderstood. By certifications I mean the technical certifications like OCJP, MCP, SCJP and not the formal b.tech degree.
    I was talking about same, as i don't think any Indian Engineering college teaches you Linux Device Drivers or kernel architecture or ARM programming in bachelor course.

In last paragraph, i have used normal bachelor certificates instead of core technical certificates, sorry for that.
    Replace the normal certificates with technical certificates, my answer will remain the same as I still firmly believe in India there is demand of number of courses you've done, number ofexams you've attempted & no one really cares (except few) how much you know about a specific domain or subject.
    This is the way it is!
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I have a *little* different views on this.
    Certificate is not the confirmation that you have good knowledge of the subject, however in today's competitive world certificates helps a lot in clearing the level 1 of selecting your CV for the interview.

Few days back I was talking to one of the Sr HR personal, he told me that during the screening of the CV's out of thousands, definitely CV with some kind of certificates have the weightage.

-CV
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    crazyboy
    Few days back I was talking to one of the Sr HR personal, he told me that during the screening of the CV's out of thousands, definitely CV with some kind of certificates have the weightage.

-CV
    Thats correct! Regardless of how adept or not the certificate holder is, it gives the employer a better chance on finding a worthy candidate. When you have so many applications to process, you don't have time to interview everyone to confirm their capabilities.

Besides, most certifications are not a waste of money. If you actually take advantage of learning the materials and undertaking the practical tests, you benefit greatly. If you actually have the skills and will, why not prove it in some form? Whoever refers to memorizing dumps, its their loss. They'll just struggle on later.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    At the time of screening - the best looking resumes would be shortlisted. There's no doubt about it. The real trouble starts when you interview a candidate who says he's certified in Java and fails to answer the basics. That creates a very negative impression.

I'm in no way undermining the importance of certificates. It's just that certification shouldn't be for the name's sake.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The real trouble starts when you interview a candidate who says he's certified in Java and fails to answer the basics. That creates a very negative impression.
    There may be few dumbo's in a queue of Rambo's 😁
    I would still recommend all the aspiring engineers to go for certifications (with heart), I am sure that will add value to your CV and career at some point of time.

-CB

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am creating a pictorial tutorial for dual-boot of Windows & linux, I however found a way to save the screenshots from live images to cloud storage, but I also...
Here, I will be using Windows 7 & Xubuntu 13.04 for pictorial explanation. Considering, Windows 7 is pre-installed; we'll further move for the manual installation process. Download any Linux ISO...
Back in 2004 Apple launched Airplay which allowed wireless streaming of data (Audio,Video,Pics,etc) between devices. However, it's proprietary stack thus you will need Airplay compatible devices like iPad, iPhone &...
Few hours ago in the MailPipe, announcement of the release of Fedora 19 has been made. We have already discussed about the features that's been included in the Fedora 19....
Paul Jacob, chairman & CEO of Qualcomm, in their IQ event in Moscow today highlighted the concepts to greatly improve capacity as reported by Telecoms.com. Three main points worth discussing...