How To Dual-Boot Windows & Any Linux OS (With Pictures).

Abhishek Rawal
@abhishek-fg9tRh โ€ข Oct 27, 2024

Here, I will be using Windows 7 & Xubuntu 13.04 for pictorial explanation.
Considering, Windows 7 is pre-installed; we'll further move for the manual installation process.

  • Download any Linux ISO & burn it on DVD or make Pendrive bootable using <a href="https://www.linuxliveusb.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">LinuxLive USB Creator</a> or #-Link-Snipped-#. You can use any, but I will recommend Unetbootin though.
  • After creating Bootable DVD or Pendrive, insert it on Disk-drive or USB slot respectively.Restart the computer & the Linux Live image will load. Two options will be available for you : Try "OS_Name" or Install "OS_name" as shown in image below :

screenshot-07022013-115312pmโ€‹

  • Now Click on "Install OS_name". Below shown figure will be obtained. No need to tick on "Download updates while installing" & "install third part softwares".โ€‹
  • I have found that, while downloading updates while installing, Flash doesn't works properly & crashes. So I recommend you, not to!โ€‹

screenshot-07022013-115349pm

  • Click on "Continue".
  • Next Image will something like shown below :

screenshot-07022013-115441pm
As you can see many other options are available, you'll even have an option called "Install OS_NAme alongside Windows", don't click on it !
I repeat don't click on anyother option except "Something else"

  • After clicking on "Something else", click on "Continue" & you'll see the partition table as shown below :

screenshot-07022013-115539pm
I have two hard-drives, so you can see in the table that there are two hard-drives shown naming /dev/sda & /dev/sdb.
Note : You have to install Linux OS in same hard-drive in which Windows OS is installed without touching any part of the Windows main drive.
I have created a free space, by deleting one partition in my first drive where Windows 7 is installed.So, you don't have free space, you gotta do same.
Just take precaution that you dont delete Windows partition.

  • Now we will create partitions manually & allot the size to it. You see the "+" button below the table ? Click on it.

screenshot-07022013-115539pm

  • In Mount point, click on drop down menu & select /boot & allot it 250 MB
  • Now again click on drop down menu & select / (root) & allot it around 30,000 MB
  • IMPORTANT : Click on Drop-down menu of "Use As" & click on "SWAP AREA" & allot the size equal to 2xtimes your computer RAM size. eg : If my PC has 2GB RAM means SWAP AREA = 4096 MB.
  • Now, again click on drop down menu of "Mount point" & select /Home : Allot it maximum size. 70-80 GB would be good.

All the screenshots of above process are sequentially uploaded below, Check it out :
screenshot-07022013-115705pm screenshot-07022013-115753pm screenshot-07022013-115909pm
After manually partitioning, the Partition table should look something like this (the size allocated may vary, but the required partition i.e root,/boot,/home & SWAP AREA should be there)
screenshot-07032013-120015am
Do check the below option under table :
"Device for boot loader installation " : this should be the location of where Windows exist & partition you just made.

  • CLick on "Install Now" , select location, click next, select keyboard layout : shown in images below

screenshot-07032013-053106am
Continuing in next thread : as only 10 images per post is allowed ......

Replies

Welcome, guest

Join CrazyEngineers to reply, ask questions, and participate in conversations.

CrazyEngineers powered by Jatra Community Platform

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Jul 2, 2013

    Keyboard layout image :
    screenshot-07032013-053128am

    • Click on "continue" & fill the required data, like username, Computer's name, password ,etc.

    screenshot-07032013-053226am
    Click on "continue" & Installation will proceed.
    screenshot-07032013-053922am
    Now while it's been installed, have a patience & get ready to join awesome community of Linux ๐Ÿ˜
    Once installation is completed, the pop like this :
    screenshot-07032013-054414am

    • Click on "Restart" & Remove bootable pendrive or Disk.

    Whenever you'll start PC, after boot logo : a GRUB Menu will be available which will let you choose the OS you wanna use.

    I hope this tutorial helped you ๐Ÿ˜€

    Edit : I will be posting Image of GRUB Asap, I need to find way to take screenshot of GRUB Menu. Apologies.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 6, 2015

    I used the partition tool on windows to create free space before I can use it for UBUNTU installation. When I begin ubuntu installation, after "something else", i see twoo partitions with windows 7 loader (208 mb and 415 gb respectively) and the free space that i created usong wondows utility, now appears "unusable". I want to use that space. How can I do that? what went wrong there?

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 6, 2015

    its the 4 logical+primary volume mezs. Merging two now.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 6, 2015

    Seems like you have MBR partition table.
    Post it here if you're still having trouble.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 6, 2015

    You can partition from Ubuntu live usb itself.
    Insert live USB, click on 'Start Ubuntu without installing'.
    Open terminal & type 'sudo su'.
    This will grant you superuser access. Then type 'gparted'
    Now you can resize partition from this tool.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 6, 2015

    So here is what my research about partitioning told me:

    1) I can have at most 4 (primary + logical) partitions on my HD.

    2) I already have 4 - System, C:/, Recovery and HP Tools. Each one of them is absolutely essential .I cannot merge any two or delete any. I am stuck with these.

    3) If I try to shrink my C:/, the opened up space becomes "inaccesible" in ubuntu. I cannot touch it.

    4) This really sucks.

    Now: Are you telling me that if I goto the ubuntu terminal and open gparted, I can create an addition partition? Because when on the "other options" window during my previous ubuntu install, I chose to shrink the size of C:/ partition in ubuntu itself (although did not use the gparted utility), and that showed up as inaccesible too.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 6, 2015

    Shashank MogheNow: Are you telling me that if I goto the ubuntu terminal and open gparted, I can create an addition partition?

    Yup. But since you have MBR partition table (reason why you can't create more than 4 primary partitions). You may delete HP tools partition as it is small & can be easily recovered.
    Once deleting HP tool partition, you'll have unallocated partition. Create an 'extended partition', now right click on new unallocated partition(nested inside extended partition) & create logical partitions for Linux in it.

    PS : GPT Partition table can create upto 128 primary partitions.
    And this rule applies to all OS whether its Linux or Windows. MBR = 4 primary partitions. GPT = 128 Primary partitions.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 6, 2015

    Somehow, I am afraid to remove the HP Tools partition. The people on the HP support website said it was essential for me to maintain that as it identifies hardware issues and facilitates the Recovery Manager.

    What are the drawbacks of running ubuntu in the live version with persistent storage? How much slower is it expected to run than native installed ubuntu?

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 6, 2015

    Shashank MogheWhat are the drawbacks of running ubuntu in the live version with persistent storage? How much slower is it expected to run than native installed ubuntu?

    Drawback is everytime you have compile openFOAM, unless you have enough amount of persistent space. Plus all dependency required toinstall openfoam will be installed in /bin and every reboot you'll lose it. It's speed depends on USB bandwidth, with 3.0 it's pretty fast.

    I have optional solution :
    I) Create an extended partition and place HP_Tools and recovery partiton in it.
    II) Then create another extended partition to allocate Linux partitions in it i.e / & swap.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 6, 2015

    One another way is to use 'fixpart' to convert MBR into GPT. But again Windows 7 doesn't support GPT. Windows 8 does.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 6, 2015

    Moving my partitions (recovery and tools) to a new partition will require me to have scope for one to begin with, right?

    Besides, if I move my partitions inside some other partition, would they remain useful?
    How dumb design is it anyway? You create 4 partitions and place the upper limit at 4? I am totally flabbergasted here.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 6, 2015

    Are you saying Windows 8 is GPT by default? I am still technically a student, I can probably get my hands on a free copy of Windows 8 through my university I suppose.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 6, 2015

    Shashank MogheAre you saying Windows 8 is GPT by default? I am still technically a student, I can probably get my hands on a free copy of Windows 8 through my university I suppose.

    Yup, Windows 8 is GPT by default.
    How old is your laptop ? Sometimes old hardware lacks Windows 8 drivers support. Better check drivers section in HP website before switching to 8.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 6, 2015

    Oh my..I feel like a victim here. My laptop is 2010 I guess.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 6, 2015

    Shashank MogheMoving my partitions (recovery and tools) to a new partition will require me to have scope for one to begin with, right?

    Backup your partitions somewhere and delete those two partitions. Create an extended partition totalling of these two partitions and create two partitions in it naming as it were original.
    Create another extended partition for Linux.

    Shashank MogheBesides, if I move my partitions inside some other partition, would they remain useful?

    I don't know yet, sorry (Maybe you should test). I received my HP laptop with Win8, my first step was to remove every fucking partition, go back to legacy boot and Install ArchLinux. Profit!

    Shashank MogheYou create 4 partitions and place the upper limit at 4? I am totally flabbergasted here.

    Four primary partitions. World has moved on GPT.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 6, 2015

    I am very disappointed with WIndows/Hard Disk company or whoever here. I am so fed up that I dont even know whom to blame. I have tried every possible way to get openFOAM running, it appears as if my laptop is never going to see the light of Linux.

    But I am sure there was a time when I had installed 12.04 LTS in parallel with Windows. Wonder what has changed.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 6, 2015

    Shashank MogheBut I am sure there was a time when I had installed 12.04 LTS in parallel with Windows. Wonder what has changed.

    With versions <= Precise Pangolic (12.04) one was capable to install Linux inside Windows using tool known as 'wubi' which comes with Ubuntu ISO. Wubi tool has been removed after 12.04 releases.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 6, 2015

    As a last resort I am creating the live USB for 12.04. Try booting with it. See if there is something otherwise its good riddance to installation. I will only run live mode.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 6, 2015

    Shashank MogheAs a last resort I am creating the live USB for 12.04. Try booting with it. See if there is something otherwise its good riddance to installation. I will only run live mode.

    Screenshot from 2015-02-07 11:30:49

    You'll succeed in Precise Pangolin. Check highlighted shit there (wubi.exe). Download it & execute it on Windows machine.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 6, 2015

    And this tool is different from VM? Because I had a very bad experience running VM - too slow.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 6, 2015

    Shashank MogheAnd this tool is different from VM? Because I had a very bad experience running VM - too slow.

    Plus thing, it's not VM ๐Ÿ˜€
    For details : <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">WubiGuide - Ubuntu Wiki</a>

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 6, 2015

    Well, well. Looks like wubi.exe is working for me. Wonder why the distribution for this has stopped ๐Ÿ˜ Thank you so much (although too early to say anything, its still installing on my C:/)!

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 6, 2015

    Shashank MogheWell, well. Looks like wubi.exe is working for me. Wonder why the distribution for this has stopped

    There are many bugs. It's sure is good concept but not great program. I usually never suggest anyone to use unmaintained software (Wubi developer has dropped its development). But since you've no other possible way remaining to install ubuntu in your system, I have to suggest it.

    If you're lucky you won't get any error. But make sure that you don't upgrade kernel. It will break your system. I repeat, don't upgrade kernel in ubuntu installed with wubi.

    As it's development is stopped, you won't get any support regarding wubi from Ubuntu.

    I still think it's safe to dual-boot. Don't lose hope. Dual-booting > Wubi crap.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 6, 2015

    Alrightyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wooooohoooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Dual boot ready! What a relief! Thank you so much #-Link-Snipped-# , you are absolute genius!

    I was also able to edit the GRUB file to stop ubuntu from being default booted ๐Ÿ˜ Thank you soooo much!

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 6, 2015

    Shashank MogheAlrightyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wooooohoooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Dual boot ready! What a relief! Thank you so much #-Link-Snipped-# , you are absolute genius!

    I was also able to edit the GRUB file to stop ubuntu from being default booted ๐Ÿ˜ Thank you soooo much!

    I am glad, I could help you ๐Ÿ˜€
    Cheers, mate.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 7, 2015

    ๐Ÿ˜€

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 10, 2015

    Alright, I am back with simpler problems (for you). I have installed openFOAM (it took me around 8-10 hours). ubuntu seems to slow down on any install now (it would act very slowly, irritatingly) even when I try to install firefox from terminal now. The firefox (when opened) always shows up "unresponsive script" error. Whats the problem here? As soon as I login, everything is lightning fast. As soon nas I start the terminal and try to install something like "sudo apt-get install firefox", it would take a loooong time to download just ~48 MB and then take at least half an hour to install from that downloaded file. And after that, everything is slowed down. Windows will open slowly, and the whole system kinda "drags".

    This is something I know can be fixed, may be some performance setting or something. Please help me out here.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 10, 2015

    Open terminal & type top.
    Post screenshot of it please.

    As you said even Windows OS is slowing down, it seems like Wubi bug is affecting you.
    As Ubuntu is acting as application of Windows, it might be affecting the performance.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 10, 2015

    No Windows is fine. By "windows" I meant the folder windows that open up when I see any folders in ubuntu.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 10, 2015

    Shashank MogheNo Windows is fine. By "windows" I meant the folder windows that open up when I see any folders in ubuntu.

    Does Ubuntu runs in Unity 2D or Unity 3D mode ?
    Is it happening like this since first boot ?

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 10, 2015

    I have absolutely no clue what 2D or 3D or what Unity means. After the first boot, before doing anything else, I opened firefox and opened the page which had openFOAM installation instructions. That mozilla page went "unresponsive script" several times during the course of 24 hours (yes the laptop was on all the time since I didnt want to leave installation midway). And I got openFOAM installed, After that, when I rebooted and started using openFOAM, it worked fantastic. But when I opened firefox it was still going unresponsive. I uninstalled firefox and tried to install again from terminal, but the system went terribly slow every single time. I rebooted to windows OS and now am here.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 10, 2015

    Seems like heavy disk activity is freezing the OS.
    In terminal type :

    echo "deadline" | sudo tee /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler

    Now open firefox or install something from terminal again.
    Did you noticed performance boost ?

    If yes, then I will post how to permanently change scheduler to deadline below.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 10, 2015

    Screenshot from 2015-02-11 08_39_28 Screenshot from 2015-02-11 08_41_24 Here are the screenshots of "top" (the list was changing, looked like a task manager equivalent to me, hence I took 2 screenshots at different instants).

    I have read this Compiz thing is the root of the problem. My noob understanding.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 10, 2015

    Try this :

    Abhishek RawalSeems like heavy disk activity is freezing the OS.
    In terminal type :
    echo "deadline" | sudo tee /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
    Now open firefox or install something from terminal again.
    Did you noticed performance boost ?

    If yes, then I will post how to permanently change scheduler to deadline below.
  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 11, 2015

    Ok. I will do that the first thing after I go home today. BTW, did the images tell you anything about the problem? Was it helpful? I don't know how to read them, what they mean. What is Compiz btw? I keep reading about it all the time.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 11, 2015

    Shashank MogheOk. I will do that the first thing after I go home today. BTW, did the images tell you anything about the problem? Was it helpful? I don't know how to read them, what they mean. What is Compiz btw? I keep reading about it all the time.

    Nope. I just wanted to see if any resources is not using too much of memory.
    Compiz is compositing manager. All the animations & bling bling you see in Ubuntu OS UI is due to compiz.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 11, 2015

    This is so much help! Thank you once again. Btw, you are still an undergrad?

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 11, 2015

    Shashank MogheThis is so much help! Thank you once again. Btw, you are still an undergrad?

    Yup, currently in last sem! ๐Ÿ˜

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 11, 2015

    Damn! You must have no problems getting a job. That's too much learning at a young age! Awesome!

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 11, 2015

    Shashank MogheDamn! You must have no problems getting a job. That's too much learning at a young age! Awesome!

    Woah! Thanks for compliment,man. That boosts me to work harder. But there's too much competition you know. You simply can't afford to stop. [HASHTAG]#Evolve[/HASHTAG]

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 11, 2015

    Totally agree. You have a good headstart I must say.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 11, 2015

    Shashank MogheYou have a good headstart I must say.

    ๐Ÿ˜€

    -------
    Back to the topic,
    Have you tried dual-booting ? Trust me in longer run you'll have even worse problems working with wubi.
    Switch to dual-boot asap.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 11, 2015

    I cannot dual boot with Windows 7. The partitioning is a problem. And I am not on campus any more, cannot get a free Windows 8 upgrade ๐Ÿ˜”

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Feb 11, 2015

    Shashank MogheI cannot dual boot with Windows 7. The partitioning is a problem. And I am not on campus any more, cannot get a free Windows 8 upgrade ๐Ÿ˜”

    Get rid of HP_Tools. I don't think anyone needs it. Do we ? What is it's purpose ?

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 11, 2015

    They say it is essential when we do system restore. I have restored twice in the last week ๐Ÿ˜

    So you are saying its the "Linux inside Windows" that's the reason for the lag?

  • durga ch

    @durga-TpX3gO • Feb 11, 2015

    ok not to hijack the conversation - but why cant you full install ubuntu(not dual boot, just ubuntu by itself) and run windows as application on ubuntu??? I mean the other way around, from your other post its evident that windows is all gone (I am assuming that so is data) so you should be able to start afresh on ubuntu only..

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 11, 2015

    Well, lets just say Windows has hijacked me for so long that I have The Stockholm syndrome now. I plan to get over it slowly.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 12, 2015

    Well, wubi.exe was slowing down my windows considerably too! It became painfully slow at a point, when I had to uninstall Ubuntu ๐Ÿ˜” Back to square one. Thinking of deleting the HP Tools partition now. But cannot gather enough courage to do it, given my history with things that come back to bite me.

  • durga ch

    @durga-TpX3gO • Feb 12, 2015

    #-Link-Snipped-#: you can always take a backup .If things dont work as expected, you should be able to restore from backup.

  • Shashank Moghe

    @shashank-94ap1q • Feb 12, 2015

    Is writing the data in the partition on a dvd good enough?