Using banana peels to clean polluted water

This is quite interesting. Researches funded by the Sao Paulo Research Foundation have found that minced banana peels are effective at absorbing toxic metal from water. Its good to know we can rely on nature for help rather than expensive chemicals that may do more harm than good. Perhaps CEans can fabricate a banana peel flotilla to clean their local river 😉

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    I know that Banana is the only plant whose plant parts ( what else can i call them can be used up), like in INDIA, the branch , flower are cooked as food, banana leaves serve as plates and bananas ate as a diet. But to know that leaf can do this benefit truely looks like self-healing process of nature .
    But thinking future, what can be done with the polluted leaves after they absord the toxic stuff?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    According to the source research material, the minced peels can be reused up to 11 times. So I assume the absorbed metal ions can be recovered quite easily to be used again in the industry without using too much banana peels 😀
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    I know Banana is good for health. 😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    durga
    I know that Banana is the only plant whose plant parts ( what else can i call them can be used up), like in INDIA, the branch , flower are cooked as food, banana leaves serve as plates and bananas ate as a diet. But to know that leaf can do this benefit truely looks like self-healing process of nature .
    But thinking future, what can be done with the polluted leaves after they absord the toxic stuff?
    Banana peel may remove toxic chemicals. How about following it with old sarees to kill cholera bacteria?
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Bioramani

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

plz tell me about the regenrative braking sysytem. are these system used in cars these days,.,?what is the drawback of these.,.?
Can I use +5V and 0V for the power pins of the 741 Op amp if I'm only outputing 0 to 1V with it? I think I read somewhere that...
Dear Civil Engineers, I have collected about 2200 no of I S Codes through the free forums in internet. I wish to share the collection with the Civil Engineers of...
Social Activist Anna Hajare is on "Fast Until Death" protesting against corruption and introduction of the unbiased Lokpal Bill. I'm surprised, shocked and happy to see the way nation is...
Anna Hajare - 71 year old social activist is on fast until death, protesting against the corruption and unbiased, error-free Lokpal Bill amendments. I wish to know how many engineers...