Is "Fast Until Death" Right Way To Protest?

Social Activist Anna Hajare is on "Fast Until Death" protesting against corruption and introduction of the unbiased Lokpal Bill. I'm surprised, shocked and happy to see the way nation is responding to this initiative by the elderly man. It's probably a great answer to those who ask "What Can I Do?" when it comes to National Service and fighting against corruption.

The result of Hajare's fast is the continuously building pressure over the Indian Government to take action and address the issues in Lokpal Bill. Only time would tell how the Government will react and I hope in favor of the activists.

This brings us to the topic of debate - Is 'Fast Until Death' the right way to protest? No doubt it's one of the most effective ways to bring public attention to your cause. Voice your opinions in this debate. Looking forward to your views. You ought to have one!

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    This brings us to the topic of debate - Is 'Fast Until Death' the right way to protest? No doubt it's one of the most effective ways to bring public attention to your cause. Voice your opinions in this debate. Looking forward to your views. You ought to have one!
    In another forum I mentioned a few days back that I thought that Mahatma's fasts were a sort of emotional blackmail. The same applies here. However in both instances there were no personal agendas. (There were lot of jundas). A sort of benevolent dictatorship.
    I for one am vastly comforted that cricket is not the only uniting force in India.

Bioramani
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bioramani
    I for one am vastly comforted that cricket is not the only uniting force in India.

Bioramani
    +1 . I hope the enthusiasm continues to build up while the IPL season's on.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    'Fast Until Death' is in fact not the best option, but it is the last option. Anna had to do it to get mass attention. If he had just started shouting slogans and giving speeches on the roadside, nobody would pay heed.
    I just wish it was someone younger, probably engineers like you and I.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    I just wish it was someone younger, probably engineers like you and I.
    True!! But just that the family would not accept.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    But the politicians in Tamil Nadu are too bad that the national news is not being broadcasted ( including the one of Anna's fasting). Because of the state election. people in rural areas have no knowledge of what is going on for a good cause.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Let's stick to the topic - is the the 'right' way to protest?
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    Yes it is the right way to protest as the reason for fasting is known and it is a better way of gaining attention. Especially when it is for good cause.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Anna Hajare - 71 year old social activist is on fast until death, protesting against the corruption and unbiased, error-free Lokpal Bill amendments. I wish to know how many engineers...
Application Of Friction Part 3 -- video lecture Lecture on Engineering Mechanics by Dr.G.Saravana Kumar, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Guwahati. Feel free to ask questions, doubts and contribute your...
Lecture on Centroids and Center of Mass under Engineering Mechanics by Dr.G.Saravana Kumar, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Guwahati. Feel free to ask questions, doubts and contribute your ideas in...
Centroids and Area Of Moments explained. Lecture on Engineering Mechanics by Dr.G.Saravana Kumar, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Guwahati. Feel free to ask questions, doubts and contribute your ideas in...
Understand the basics of Product Of Inertia, Rotation of Axis and Principle Moments Of Inertia. Product of Inertia concept Lecture on Engineering Mechanics by Dr.G.Saravana Kumar, Department of Mechanical Engineering,...