Pattern making materials.

Hi friends, there are a few pattern making materials which are used widely in industry.
I will be telling you about them. Please correct me if I get wrong somewhere.

1.Wood: Wood has been a popular choice amongst foundry shops. It is very common and cheaply available. Mostly Burma, C.P.Teak is used. Wood has a tendency to warp.
Mostly nowadays compressed wood laminates and laminated wood impregnates are used. Laminated woods are nothing but resins.

2.Metal: This has an advantage that it does not have any storage problems.
Whenever any metal is used as a pattern, a shrinkage allowance is given to it.
The various metals commonly used are
cast iron: It is very brittle and is not used for applications involving shocks hence it is available cheap than other iron and steel varieties.
Brass: Heavier than cast iron but it does not rust. and also, it is restricted to smaller patterns.
Aluminium: Melts at a very low temperature, soft and easy to make pattern. Only draw back is that it can break hence has to be handled with care.
White metal. It is the best metal that can be thought of. It melts at 473 K and does not shrink much.

3.Plasters: Nowadays, gypsum is used as a pattern making material. It has a compressive strength of 275-300 kg/cm2. The various varieties of plasters in market are Hydrocal and Hydrostone etc.

Rubbers, waxes and plastics are nowadays used mostly because they are cheap. They have the exact properties for a pattern materials. Mostly thermoplastics and epoxy resins are used in plastic and wax varieties respectively.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This is quite interesting. Researches funded by the Sao Paulo Research Foundation have found that minced banana peels are effective at absorbing toxic metal from water. Its good to know...
plz tell me about the regenrative braking sysytem. are these system used in cars these days,.,?what is the drawback of these.,.?
Can I use +5V and 0V for the power pins of the 741 Op amp if I'm only outputing 0 to 1V with it? I think I read somewhere that...
Dear Civil Engineers, I have collected about 2200 no of I S Codes through the free forums in internet. I wish to share the collection with the Civil Engineers of...
Social Activist Anna Hajare is on "Fast Until Death" protesting against corruption and introduction of the unbiased Lokpal Bill. I'm surprised, shocked and happy to see the way nation is...