Mark Zuckerberg On Facebook's mobile future. Do you like what he had to say?

Mark Zuckerberg enthusiastically answered the question fired at him by Michael Arrington to grip the attention of a rapt crowd at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference. Instead of sharing the whole talk, I would share here some of the excerpts from what Zucky Boy had to say about Facebook's Mobile Future.

"The performance of the stock has obviously been disappointing," Zuckerberg said. He went on: "...the commitment we've made it make the world more open and connected...for the long term. The next three to five years is really going to be how well we do with mobile."
Facebook, he summarized, is now a "mobile company."
Later when talking about Facebook as a 'Search Company', he said this -

"We do a billion queries and day and we aren't even trying. Mostly, they are trying to find people or brand pages or apps. There is a big opportunity in search, evolving to giving a set of answers to a specific question, and Facebook is uniquely position to do that."
Zuckerberg gave an example of how Facebook could do search better than Google or Microsoft: "Which of my friend or friends of friend work in a company I might like to work at."
What do you guys think about his ideas and the future of Facebook? Is it just going to go down from here? Or is Facebook going towards better ideas?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    They sure have great engineers to innovate but ultimately it's going to be all about people who'll determine where facebook goes. Their stock got a free fall ever since its launch and the company's currently worth half of what it was at the NASDAQ launch. Zukerberg also said that adopting HTML5 for the mobile version of the site was a big mistake and they're now working on improved apps on both iOS and android phones.

Search is definitely a great idea for Facebook because they have access to HUGE amounts of personal data 'donated' to them by the people. I'm sure they can use it to personalize search results better than Google, because Google still relies on your internet search history to personalize things [Google+ is yet to become the main personal data repository for majority of people].

That said, Facebook might even want to go with the equation Internet = Facebook. I think they already have setup a team of search engineers to build a Google competitor. If they do, Google's going to find it VERY hard to be in the business; because Google still makes money via searches.

I can even envision Facebook launching their own mobile operating system [on Facebook Phone] to offer a completely personalised telephony experience including free person to person video / audio calls, chats, photo / video shares and so on.

It's high time someone develop a facebook competitor and allow people to have 'options'.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Reading all that, I am wondering if it really happens - that Facebook becomes equal to Internet, what will all the naysayers do or go? The people who are concerned about their privacy and think they shouldn't share things on Facebook will either completely ignore it or accept it to certain extent. Facebook Phone, Facebook OS - it all seems so tremendous.

I personally don't like the idea of Facebook competing with Google in search. ๐Ÿ˜ Not sure why.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

So I was invited as a guest of honor at installation of the entrepreneurship development cell in the 'top private engineering' college in Maharashtra. Upon reaching the venue, the organisers...
I wonder what is the reason behind having such a shifting pattern. We have seen other bikes which had all-down (TVS-Suzuki times) or all up (Hero Honda). Now, 1-up &...
Here's a research paper project for BioTech Students - The investigation of signal transduction pathways is critical to the basic understanding of cellular processes as these pathways function to regulate...
if any of you have any problem regarding job....or unplaced freshers looking for job please do contact me may be i may help you out somewhere
Hey there brilliant Engineers or soon to be engineers out there. I would like to ask whether is it possible to interface speech recognition technique to control a robot via...