Do students lack awareness about entrepreneurship?

So I was invited as a guest of honor at installation of the entrepreneurship development cell in the 'top private engineering' college in Maharashtra. Upon reaching the venue, the organisers (students) and the professors associated asked me to create 'awareness' about entrepreneurship among the students. The 'attendance' to the even was compulsory and that made sure that the event had at least 100-150 students in a small gathering hall.

What I noticed among the students is complete lack of "interest" in the subject and had the attendance not been made compulsory; the hall would have had only the guests on the dais.

What surprised me more was that the students were participative because many of them felt that if they express their interest in entrepreneurship, they'd not be allowed to appear for the campus placements.

I wanted to ask the organisers - why did they organize the event in the first place when the students aren't interested. It's humanly impossible to motivate anyone to become an entrepreneur.

But given the theme - do students lack awareness or lack the interest in entrepreneurship?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Yes...
    I think, taking decision on jumping into entrepreneurship in a subject needs very high interest and passion towards it.
    I blame it to out EDUCATION and social system that until a Indian student think about entrepreneurship he/she is 21-22 years old totally dependent on parent till the date and offcourse there is its most of cases its family pressure to settle down in 2-3 years and take care of the family and youngers.
    While if any one thinking into entrepreneurship, I don't think there could be surety about next 3-4 years.
    We know that its very hard to change social system but Education system should be modified and student must have to choose a direction after high school. There are enough general knowledge about all subject taught till high school and after that they should choose a career path after it.
    This will enable a student to gain knowledge and become a strong in their field to think about doing something better about it.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Good one, I remember someone organizing some event about "Awareness of Health" the theme is on side effects on smoking and etc, and attendance is compulsory. Thought I didnt attend it didnt help anyone.

I would say, we still need to wait for few more years, where many students understand what is entrepreneurship and they ask and they voluntarily come to understand it.

your question: do students lack awareness or lack the interest in entrepreneurship? Yes. I dont know about other places but in our state 99% the answer is yes.

my analysis is:

10% colleges are best , 50% Average and 40% worst.

So students from best colleges get campus placements, or go for higher studies. The students from Average goes for off campus placements , trainings at Ameerpet ( A holy place for students to learn IT courses) so there is no thought given to entrepreneurship. They lack awareness and they lack interest and they dont want to do something different. and yes I am no exception 😔
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    But why should students be dependent on college education or anyone else to read about entrepreneurship? What about the inner kick that makes them find out how to get started? It's not a rocket science. You could just build a part-time project and start selling it online ( you don't have to move your bum an inch today to sell stuff ). Internet is your friend!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    not only students but even full time employed people have same attitude right?
    I think its not about interest, its more about prenotions set to ourselves.
    When i graduated, i decided that i would pursue my further studies, did not attend any interviews nor applied for any jobs. (similar to students thinking they would do a job and not showing interest being entreprenuer) , i attended only 1 interview along with a friedn of mine (as i was waiting for my i20) and got the job and settled in job :-s/
    so I think, it s more of what we think what we want to do.
    Job is safer option.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    INDIANS are the greatest thinkers but the awareness we have to incorporate our own ideas is really low i must agree

though there are excpetions they have to battle the whole society to come out of the shell
  • clZazy
    clZazy
    I think the main reason is the struggle at the start. even if most of us know very well that we may have to face a lot of failures in the path of the entrepreneurship, we give up at the start. we go with the logical option instead of our intuition. lack of confidence in ourselves and our abilities make us do this.
    This type of subject should be introduced in our education system, in schools to build up children's confidence at an early age.

well #-Link-Snipped-# I want your advice on the online marketing, I mean how to start it?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The field of online marketing is vast and the only way to get started in it is to read up all the material you can and get a 'feel' of what it is. I might be able to answer a few specific and direct questions. 😀
  • clZazy
    clZazy
    Whenever I search for "online marketing" in internet, it gives me a lot of results and options. most of them advertising their own product. don't know which one to trust.
    I am thinking of building a website of my own. can you tell me about that?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I wonder what is the reason behind having such a shifting pattern. We have seen other bikes which had all-down (TVS-Suzuki times) or all up (Hero Honda). Now, 1-up &...
Here's a research paper project for BioTech Students - The investigation of signal transduction pathways is critical to the basic understanding of cellular processes as these pathways function to regulate...
if any of you have any problem regarding job....or unplaced freshers looking for job please do contact me may be i may help you out somewhere
Hey there brilliant Engineers or soon to be engineers out there. I would like to ask whether is it possible to interface speech recognition technique to control a robot via...
Here is a collection of project ideas for Cryptography related mini project ideas for computer science or IT students. 1. Command line interface for crypto functionality 2. Action history view...