Why is project topic selection such a tough thing?

I've often wondered why is project topic selection such a tough thing? A huge number of engineering students come to CE seeking project ideas. Aren't ideas all around us? Improving on something existing is 'the best' way to think of a project idea.

It's easier to think of a project idea by trying to solve a problem. I wish to ask everyone who comes to CE looking for project idea: Why is it so difficult?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    General failure of the (engg) education system. In my opinion quite a bit of trouble is with the teachers. They seem to leave it to the internet to do their job for them. Ultimately the country loses on wasted talent.
    I agree that students should look around to find problems to solve. Their grades should be based on the approach and methodology and not on success alone.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : I do agree, but when students get frustrated not finding the idea online, can they not come up with ideas on their own? I think very few do. Is it the responsibility of the teachers to teach students to think on their own?

PS: Yeah, grades and project marks - they are the top factors.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I agree.
    The students must share the responsibility equally. I despair not to see fire in the belly kind of enthusiasm any more in the bulk of the student population. All are in the rat race. There is no internalizing at all. It seems to be always a case of looking over the shoulder to see if some one else is trying to forge ahead of them.
    One should set one's own goal and go after that full blast. The trouble is that getting into an IIM after engineering and go off to foreign shores is the restricted dream of many. So grades are everything.
    However, the teachers have to show students the way to think, to come up with innovations for enjoyment of doing it. This is unlikely to happen if teachers use tattered old notes and drone on till the hour is over. Remember the video on how Steve presents?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Main Problem is education system and specially Teacher. They are forcing student to get new idea every year If student is going to update existing project they says its old if so then why they are teaching same subject for years.

if student thinks by themselves and designs a small working demo we must have to accept it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's kind of strange. Yeah, I see a point there. The professors don't want to take any pain in working with the students.

But if students are asked to come up with innovative topics; wouldn't India be the innovation hub of the world by now? Year after year, students are submitting the same topics under fancier names.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I am sure that the students would (should?) come up with innovative (sometimes hare brained?) ideas. The teacher should spend time with the student to separate wheat from the chaff and zero in on an executable project.
    My own experience in Andhra University was very good. The teachers were always willing to help. More importantly, there was a comraderie not only within each department but with allied branches as well. The seniors and PhD scholars would patiently listen to us and help us decide or explain concepts. They also extracted their pound of flesh by making us do some of the menial tasks of taking readings and such. It was great fun.
    I do not think that this sort of thing happens now.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    bioramani
    I am sure that the students would (should?) come up with innovative (sometimes hare brained?) ideas. The teacher should spend time with the student to separate wheat from the chaff and zero in on an executable project.
    My own experience in Andhra University was very good. The teachers were always willing to help. More importantly, there was a comraderie not only within each department but with allied branches as well. The seniors and PhD scholars would patiently listen to us and help us decide or explain concepts. They also extracted their pound of flesh by making us do some of the menial tasks of taking readings and such. It was great fun.
    I do not think that this sort of thing happens now.
    Now a days there are very few quality teacher with practical experiance available that is also big worry.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    godfather
    Now a days there are very few quality teacher with practical experiance available that is also big worry.
    That is why I maintain that the Second Law of thermodynamics is universal. Everything keeps running down. The universe as a whole is going to a state of complete chaos by itself. This seem to apply in all walks of life: politics, probity, education and what have you.
    The second law also gives a way out. There is a spontaneous degradation unless the system is acted upon by an external force. It is up to us to provide that.
  • siraj.mussafirr
    siraj.mussafirr
    The_Big_K
    I've often wondered why is project topic selection such a tough thing? A huge number of engineering students come to CE seeking project ideas. Aren't ideas all around us? Improving on something existing is 'the best' way to think of a project idea.

It's easier to think of a project idea by trying to solve a problem. I wish to ask everyone who comes to CE looking for project idea: Why is it so difficult?
    I'm an Engineering student and what I wish to say is there is no use in blaming the teachers alone. They too are the products of the same Educational System in which the new generation is brought up. If they don't know how to think out of box, then how can they preach it to their students?

What need to be changed is the education system. It should follow a syllabus that could include the most recent technological aspects and concepts, both theoretically and practically as well. The students need be given more practical oriented and challenging assignment rather than theoretical once which is easy to make with the use of Internet. They should be allowed to bring up their own ideas and be given the freedom to try them out even if it may fail, because failure is the best teacher.

Leave the new generation to explore their own ideas, elders and wise need only guide them. Please never make them a remote controlled version of human.

The best answer I'd like to quote is: 3 Idiots
    This film by Aamir Khan shows up the answer for the question.
    Thanks a lot... 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Ive heard that there is a new IC in the market that converts 230V A.C. to D.C. directly. it has all the components built in. has anybody heard of this?...
"need again" keep it up......
My name is Muhammad taha .. I'm an mechanical engineering student in cairo university.It' my first year as a mecahnical engineering student so anyone that has any advice for me...
Hello CEans, I am currently placed in TCS,completed the training and am on TCS bench right now. As my training was done in JAVA testing , i have been told...
Apple official are in discssion with Twitter management and showed a desire of investing hundreds of millions of dollars in the social media networking. Apple, the giant in phone and...