230 V A.C. to 5 V D.C. direct IC

Ive heard that there is a new IC in the market that converts 230V A.C. to D.C. directly. it has all the components built in. has anybody heard of this? If yes can you provide me the details?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Something like this?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    You can do it without IC (and transformer) as well with proper rating of diodes & capacitors, however this is a very dangerous setup as due to absence of transformer there is no isolation.

There could be an IC, but I think the reliable solution would be using a transformer itself. You should realize that lots of SMALL components are packed in a very less space so generally ICs have a lot of problem with heat dissipation. Using ICs for such high voltage application would be obviously an unreliable solution.
  • munesh kumar
    munesh kumar
    the idea of this type of ic is not reliable must use transformer.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    munesh kumar
    the idea of this type of ic is not reliable must use transformer.
    Can you tell us why its not reliable ? If we can remove transformer we can make system compact.
  • rohit_jun22
    rohit_jun22
    ^exactly. As far as the heat factor goes, it can be controlled by using a heat sink like a normal regulator IC. This type of IC saves a lot of work and it probably is cost effective.
  • munesh kumar
    munesh kumar
    i agree system must be compact without using txr..but how stepping down of ac can be done without trasformer?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In cheap systems all that is done is to use a series AC capacitor of correct voltage and capacitance.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    munesh kumar
    i agree system must be compact without using txr..but how stepping down of ac can be done without trasformer?
    Have a look at the link given by Bioramani of datasheet.
  • munesh kumar
    munesh kumar
    ok

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

"need again" keep it up......
My name is Muhammad taha .. I'm an mechanical engineering student in cairo university.It' my first year as a mecahnical engineering student so anyone that has any advice for me...
Hello CEans, I am currently placed in TCS,completed the training and am on TCS bench right now. As my training was done in JAVA testing , i have been told...
Apple official are in discssion with Twitter management and showed a desire of investing hundreds of millions of dollars in the social media networking. Apple, the giant in phone and...
can anybody help with a control system project, but i want this project to be related to telecommunication.