Why are managers obsessed about 'meetings'?

My decision to quit IT was taken during a meeting that I badly wanted to escape. The managers, I've noticed, are unnaturally obsessed about conducting meetings - which 99% of the times are a pure waste of time of everyone involved. I've even experienced that out of every 1 hour spent in such 'meetings', the 'real work / task / issues' were discussed for not more than 10 or max 15 minutes. Everything else, usually is pure chit-chat.

Yet, everyone wastes so much time in meetings. Can this be fixed?

Replies

• Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Yes! But who wants to quit it? It gives you billing hour for the time you waste on nothing?

If anybody is that badly pissed off, you know he would be a Big-K or Rupam somewhere down the line.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - You didn't get my point. I'm saying if you're going to get billed anyways - why bother wasting time 'together'? I had once suggested that all meetings should be conducted with everyone 'standing' so that the meeting gets over in 10 minutes and everyone goes back to work - or killing time (officially).

Maybe the 'managers' want to 'show' their subordinates that they are in 'control' and remind everyone about their 'authority'.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In my previous assignment at Trivandrum I was a scientist in myindividual capacity, head of an academic department and also head of the lab. Wearing three hats (preference to the first) was trying. I told everyone that if they wanted to meet they can catch me wherever I was on the 26 acre campus on a hill with a maximum height difference of about 200 feet.
    Meeting while climbing up or down did not suit many. Only really important things came my way. In my own department daily we had a 10 minute sunrise and sunset meeting in the workplace. All standing.
    Being an engineer without MBA has advantages.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Managers are obsessed about meeting because that's the only way to justify their day!!! Unlike developers, they can't say they fixed x number of defects or finished a module!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The latest update from NASA Curiosity team is that the rover has drilled the Red Planet to find traces of water. It has completed drilling (for the first time by...
Harvard University has developed a soft 'exploding robot' that's capable of jumping to 30 times its body height. The 3-legged robot made up of silicone and is filled with oxygen...
hi frds give me the me the method for change the acess of pen drive hi have tried following method but unuseful. Registry method safe mode dos box formating and...
Hello Guys, Me Safia & Want to do Robotics engineering in good college in India...Can you tell me which is the best engineering colleges in India for robotics??? Help me...
Hello frndz, I want to create a dynamic photogallery segment in php . The basic requirements of my client is to create the albums ,insert some images into that album...