Why are scientists obsessed about finding water on Mars?

The latest update from NASA Curiosity team is that the rover has drilled the Red Planet to find traces of water. It has completed drilling (for the first time by any bot on Mars) and has collected enough samples to analyse and see if water existed on Mars. Here's how the drill spot looks -

NASA-Drill

I'm more interested in knowing what's making NASA spent so much of time, energy and money on discovering water on the distant planet? Are humans planning to setup civilisation on Mars? It's already known that Mars' thinner atmospheric blanket can't retain energy and may not be suitable for humans to survive.

What's the real reason behind the quest for water on Mars?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    It is proved that, Mars was just like earth until, its magnetic field was destroyed. This led to destruction of atmosphere on Mars. So the materials present in liquid state on its surface were exposed to intense solar radiation evaporated and escaped to outside universe.

Yet the possibility that liquid materials (possibly water) might be present somewhere deep in its crust or still at a greater depth.

Hence an answer to your question.

Second supporting fact is that, there may be ecosystem (medium) on other planets that can sustain life On earth, we have water. So, if we can find water, we can definitely say, life exists/ existed on Mars. Moreover, The scientists are also interested in further research.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It is (sorry for the pun) curiosity.

Organic life is possible only with water. In the vastness of the universe there must be some other life (hopefully intelligent).
    The quest is to see if any traces are available.
    It will be the height of optimism to think of sending excess population of the Earth to Mars. The cost, not to put too fine a point on it, will be more than astronomical.

Though the Encahnted Mind Lion's (Man Mhan Singh) government that palms off smart palm tops to BPL population may attempt that too.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Oh well! We *know* that we won't be able to form colonies or plant trees on Mars. Why bother researching whether water really exists there or not? Why not make efforts on finding out whether there's a planet where life 'can' exist?

I might even begin believing the conspiracy theories about the curiosity. 😖

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Harvard University has developed a soft 'exploding robot' that's capable of jumping to 30 times its body height. The 3-legged robot made up of silicone and is filled with oxygen...
hi frds give me the me the method for change the acess of pen drive hi have tried following method but unuseful. Registry method safe mode dos box formating and...
Hello Guys, Me Safia & Want to do Robotics engineering in good college in India...Can you tell me which is the best engineering colleges in India for robotics??? Help me...
Hello frndz, I want to create a dynamic photogallery segment in php . The basic requirements of my client is to create the albums ,insert some images into that album...
I am looking for book for Digital Signal Processing subject, which have simple and easily understanble language. Anyone have some good recommendations?