upper floors design above a transfer beam

Hi all,
My question is about transfer systems and regarding the floors which have one or more of their vertical support being transfered using a transfer beam in the lower stories.

These columns (which are planted in the below stories) will have some vertical deformation due to the fact that the transfer beam is deflecting. the differential deflection between the columns in one story will result in additional moment and shear in the slabs (above the transfer beam ) due to this joint displacement that has been occured.

To take this into account in the design, should we :

- Assign the long term deflection of the transfer beam as a joint displacement in the columns being transfered (when modeling the upper floors) which will result in the inversion of the bending diagrams at support and the middle of span (at support, some bottom reinforcement will be required depending on the deflection of the column).

- Or should we model the column being transfered by a spring instead of a fixed support ?

_Or finally (and the most easy and practical solution), we limit the long term deflection of the beam to some stringent allowable deflection (L/500) and we assume that, when modeling the upper floors slabs, taking the columns as a fixed support can be assumed even though, in the real life of the structure, this may not totally true.

How do you treat this problem ?

Thank you

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

"I do not know where family doctors acquired illegibly perplexing handwriting; nevertheless, extraordinary pharmaceutical intellectuality counterbalancing indecipherability transcendentalizes intercommunication's incomprehensibleness." This is a sentence where the first word is one...
HELLO CO-ENGINEERS, I AM PRIYA,STUDYING ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATION.U MAY WONDER WHAT THE TERM dREAMITIVITy IS?IT IS NOTHING BUT A dREAm AND cREATIVITy... EVERY ENGINEERS SHOULD HAVE BOTH OF THESE QUALITIES...
Hai hello I'm raihana. I am a newbie here. I am an electronics and communications engineer. I'd like to know about the various mtech courses offered for ece students
Name- Khirod Kumar Sethy........ Well I am B tech Graduate and My Discipline Is Electronics And Communication Engineering.. I am a Test Engineer By Profession and Have a 2+ years...
Its a fact that light(electromagnetic radiation) is created when charged particles are accelerated but what happens in a neutron star(composed of neutrons only) which makes it emit light, neutrons are...