What creates light ?

Its a fact that light(electromagnetic radiation) is created when charged particles are accelerated but what happens in a neutron star(composed of neutrons only) which makes it emit light, neutrons are not charged particle so theoretically a neutron star should not emit any electromagnetic radiation ,so is it that some other factor is creating light ?
Similarly when a particle and its corresponding antiparticle annhilate each other create two photon(light particles) which is well and good for charged particles but when a neutron annhilates an antineutron how is light created(no charged particle involved in overall process) is it a proof for existence of fractional charges called quarks which are the constitute a neutron.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The issue is that neutron stars are not composed of only neutrons. The outer crust is largely ordinary atomic nuclei crushed together with a sea of electrons flowing through gaps.
    However the one million degree Kelvin temperature means that the radiation is essentially Gamma rays or high energy X rays.
    In the case of white dwarfs the emission spreads uniformly across the EM spectrum and the object appears white.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

actually i can't find any category to post this thread...so can anyone tell me how to prepare for GRE.... and i had completed my B.E in elec. and electronics.....bt i...
want to know" how to overcome thrashing "plz
The other day, I went to attend a meeting which was conducted for creating public awareness about Road Safety. The message by the Motor Vehicle Inspector intrigues me. He said:...
any one knows about ruby on Rails.. i want to know and the best study meterial and development environment... Thanks in advance
can anybody tell me that how pressure is an intensive property but i think that at many place pressure gernation depends on mass..u can see that if there are two...