Try Everything Once - Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Today morning when I flipped open our local newspaper, I saw an ad from the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, India that said ->

Screen shot 2012-06-20 at 11.21.50 AM

and I suddenly remembered some of my friends saying, "We want to try everything once. Be it smoking, drinking or taking drugs" There strategy for life is that we may live only once, so why not try everything at least once?

I want to know the views of CEans on this. Is it a good idea or bad idea to indulge into all this EVEN once?

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Once is fine, but its in our hands to control ourselves or not!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    If you already know the result, what is meaning of trying once.
    Context of "Life me ek baar" is different, which aims to experience once what you wanted to do and what you like.It is more close to adventure things, that other people have done it or nobody done it but wanted to do it, and you like it to do it.
    I am not with formula controlling on our-self. If any person not wanted to continue with some drug/smoking what is meaning of trying once.(I am not questioning that people smoke or not its their own choice)
    If you say so just try once why not try once biting by king cobra or testing sodium cyanide (there are some people who survived from it).
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Someone once said "Learn from others' mistakes, because you can't possibly make them all yourself". I think this applies to experiences too. One can't possibly experience everything this earth has to offer. Doing something just to get that experience might be very good in certain cases. Might not prove to be that good in certain others.. In any case, who is ready to jump from your rooftop to get an experience of 'flying'? πŸ˜›

AbraKaDabra
    I suddenly remembered some of my friends saying, "We want to try everything once. Be it smoking, drinking or taking drugs" There strategy for life is that we may live only once, so why not try everything at least once?
    Will those friends of yours commit a murder to get an experience of how it is to kill a man? Some things can be called experience. Some others simply can't be. It's upto us what we consider an experience and how far we are willing to go to get that experience.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I had this wise friend who in a very blunt langauge said - there is a hiarline of difference between being an idiot (try-all type) and being a courageous man'. πŸ˜€ . This guy now has done everything else in life apart from smoking and drugs, he simply says- i know the line
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, try everything once can be a good idea provided you aren't trying the things you know as 'bad'. I've always used this simple technique to decide "Will this make my parents proud/happy?". If the answer is 'No', I'd simply not do it; no matter how exciting it is. I've been offered 'just one smoke, be a man!' and 'just one shot, enjoy life' a *LOT* of times (including closes friends, boss who mattered the most and so on) and I simply enjoyed saying 'No'. Because saying 'No' looked more interesting (like taking pride in not being a common man, who'd otherwise give in to the bully-requests).

One of my friends got addicted to cigarettes just because he tried it 'only once'; and I know because it all happened in front of me. I feel bad about not being able to stop him. Now after so many years, it's obvious that he's suffered a lot because of his chain smoking habits.

Whoever came up with the idea of the ad gets my thanks and I just hope it will prevent youngsters and impressionable minds from trying the things they aren't supposed to try.

#-Link-Snipped-# : Even I had a friend who had tried 'everything': from all types of drugs to going to the jail. When he told me his story of how he began, I was shocked! He obviously wasn't proud of his doings.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Andhra 'Varsity used to give a pan and a cigareete (for some reason Capston Navy Cut) on special dinner nights. I always passed on this and gave it to friends. One fateful evening I lit up. Before going to sleep that night I smoked twenty. Within a week I was on hundred a day and graduated close to double that. State Express 555 was free issue to naval personnel, who sold it to us students at Rupee one per can of fifty. I was a hopeless slave of Dame Nicotine for a full ten years.
    Again on another evening in 1967 I told myself,'I'm stopping now'. Never smoked again.
    They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I have learnt this trick, the courage to say 'no'.
    I now know that I have nothing to prove to anyone including myself.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ Biggie, its not about someone doing it and taking pride in it. Be it jail or drugs.the point in the post was to make a claer distinction between what can be tried once and what should not be tried even once.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Within a week I was on hundred a day and graduated close to double that
    β˜• Did you by any chance receive a call from Guinness Records folks?

No offense meant! Sorry!

My ex-boss used to do about 20 and he'd be fuming all the times. Literally.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Simple. If awake I'll be smoking. Even at lunch. If I nicked myself while shaving, my blood used to smell of nicotine.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There is an old English saying: Curiosity killed the cat.
    Shakespeare had this to say: 'What, courage man! what though care killed a cat, thou hast mettle enough in thee to kill care.'

durga
    the point in the post was to make a claer distinction between what can be tried once and what should not be tried even once.
    Even at 73 I do occasionally try my hand at something new, though after thinking through.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    bioramani
    Simple. If awake I'll be smoking. Even at lunch. If I nicked myself while shaving, my blood used to smell of nicotine.
    Was like this for 4 long years πŸ˜€

I still smoke , I must say I am addicted to smoking and yes I am NOT proud of it.

Guys, who all want to smoke just a honest suggestion you cant quit it easily so dont try it πŸ˜€

There is fun liner , To stop smoking, I need to think about it and to think about anything I need a cigarette.

So , dont smoke! atleast if you havent tried and if you want to try once you can. but dont get addicted.

I watched a movie, and I wanted to smoke like that , so I started !
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    "Guys, who all want to smoke just a honest suggestion you cant quit it easily so dont try it πŸ˜€"
    Ok, now dont get me started. Quitting smoking is not difficult. Not at all! I personally know 3 people who have quit smoking, one just quit it one fine day saying - I wont smoke from today and another took 4 attempts and 8 months.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I personally know many of my friends who are struggling since years!

I quit once for 8 months, once for a year and many times though. But quitting is difficult. I know πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    English-Scared
    I personally know many of my friends who are struggling since years!

I quit once for 8 months, once for a year and many times though. But quitting is difficult. I know πŸ˜€
    Just keep quitting every morning and follow it till the next.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Its great to see how this thread is progressing. This was primarily the reason why I started it. I knew CEans would reply in a positive way.
    And now I just hope that whoever reads these replies takes a positive note from it. πŸ‘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    So, the lesson for everyone is: If you can't control for the first time, you won't be able to control ever! Learn to say 'No' & take pride in it.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Not that bad. But it is a lot more hard work to say no later than at the beginning.
    The American Philosopher William James' book (actually the chapter on Habit) helped me kick the Butt. (cigarette butt that is)
    Classics in the History of Psychology -- James (1890) Chapter 4
    The whole book can be downloaded there.
  • Manashree Thokal
    Manashree Thokal
    Its always a curiosity at the beginning. The addicts today were not fond of it before. Everyone 'tries' out of curiosity and then gets addicted. If its useless, kill the curiosity and don't even try.

By trying it once, the result may or may not be negative. But by not trying, the result can never be negative.
  • Smriti Jha
    Smriti Jha
    bioramani
    Whoa! Hundred Cigarettes a day? Even regular smokers start feeling guilty at 10!
  • Smriti Jha
    Smriti Jha
    Hilarious concept though, of trying everything once. Because people who really, actually follow that and flaunt it on later decorated with stories of how they never get "addicted" to anything, are in my opinion, the poorest analysts of all.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The point I was trying to make in another post was that my habit was automatic. There was no pleasure. It was another activity like breathing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

presently in 3rd yr....... and confused😐!
A NuVinci bike effectively has an infinite number of gears. You can adjust it smoothly, without worrying about clicking into gears, to provide the precise right amount of resistance. You...
Hi everyone! I want to learn AVR & PIC controllers from basics. So please suggest me how & from where to start???
I'm facing a problem accessing webpages. I'm unable to access a few websites. The error message requires me to do this: Add Google Chrome as a permitted program in your...
I am basicaly Fire safety consultant. I am in Fire protection system exicutions, Designs, Estimates and training etc. You are welcome to clarify about Fire protection sytem guidelines etc regards,...