A bike with Infinite Gears: Novara Gotham

A NuVinci bike effectively has an infinite number of gears. You can adjust it smoothly, without worrying about clicking into gears, to provide the precise right amount of resistance. You can start at a very low gear to pedal easily and then smoothly ramp up to a higher gear as you gain speed. And since everything is internal, repairs are rarely necessary. It's a revolution, really--one of the most fundamental changes to the bicycle in decades.
[​IMG]

The basic concept is pretty simple. As in other internally geared systems, a traditional front chain ring and cog are used to provide power, but the entire transmission resides within the rear hub, rather than the changing ratio between a front chain ring and a set of rear cogs determining the relationship between power input and output.

Full details:#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Its looks cool, hope it will resolve the problem of jamming of gear which changing.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Pardon my limited Mechanical Engineering knowledge; but why'd they call it an 'infinite gears' system? I've seen the video on the link but it's still not clear. What I'm more interested in knowing is does the system make me put lesser efforts uphill?
  • pradeep74m
    pradeep74m
    Ya the bike clearly makes uphill an easier task. The bike distinguishes the amount of effort required to perform the task which is different from the traditional gearing system where you have to decide the right number of gear for the uphills and flat surface.
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    i m not g
    pradeep74m
    A NuVinci bike effectively has an infinite number of gears. You can adjust it smoothly, without worrying about clicking into gears, to provide the precise right amount of resistance. You can start at a very low gear to pedal easily and then smoothly ramp up to a higher gear as you gain speed. And since everything is internal, repairs are rarely necessary. It's a revolution, really--one of the most fundamental changes to the bicycle in decades.
    [​IMG]

The basic concept is pretty simple. As in other internally geared systems, a traditional front chain ring and cog are used to provide power, but the entire transmission resides within the rear hub, rather than the changing ratio between a front chain ring and a set of rear cogs determining the relationship between power input and output.

Full details:#-Link-Snipped-#
    i m not getting the concept of this byke,,can u explain me clearly?
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    how
    pradeep74m
    Ya the bike clearly makes uphill an easier task. The bike distinguishes the amount of effort required to perform the task which is different from the traditional gearing system where you have to decide the right number of gear for the uphills and flat surface.[/quote
    pradeep74m
    Ya the bike clearly makes uphill an easier task. The bike distinguishes the amount of effort required to perform the task which is different from the traditional gearing system where you have to decide the right number of gear for the uphills and flat surface.
    .i m not getting that how can u say it as infinite gear vehicle...?
  • pradeep74m
    pradeep74m
    What they are stating is effectively infinite number of gears. You shouldn't take the literal meaning as it is. If you study the full details clearly the amount of resistance you can give is not limited by the number of gear as in conventional system. Here you can choose the amount of resistance you need without limitation of numbered gear system.
  • gohm
    gohm
    So it seems to work on a similar principal as a cvt system found on scooters and formula 500 race cars. Is that right?
  • pradeep74m
    pradeep74m
    Ya it functions similar to cvt.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    The_Big_K
    Pardon my limited Mechanical Engineering knowledge; but why'd they call it an 'infinite gears' system? I've seen the video on the link but it's still not clear. What I'm more interested in knowing is does the system make me put lesser efforts uphill?
    I think popsci.com may have over-exhaggerated the description. What this sytem offers is, like the regular cvt, is an infinite number of gear ratios within its range. That is the range it is designed for. Within that range you can access different gear ratios in an incrimental manner rather than discrete pre-determined gear ratios. This means you can gradually increase torque and speed. This answers your last question K, yes it should make uphill traverse easier. I think its an amazing design of CVT. What of the cost of this? #-Link-Snipped-# If i wanted to buy the unit itself how much will it cost me?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    is an infinite number of gear ratios within its range
    That makes more sense. 'Infinite Gear' looks to be marketing term they're using. Infinite number of gear ratio is what they're offering.
  • pradeep74m
    pradeep74m
    CE Designer
    I think popsci.com may have over-exhaggerated the description. What this sytem offers is, like the regular cvt, is an infinite number of gear ratios within its range. That is the range it is designed for. Within that range you can access different gear ratios in an incrimental manner rather than discrete pre-determined gear ratios. This means you can gradually increase torque and speed. This answers your last question K, yes it should make uphill traverse easier. I think its an amazing design of CVT. What of the cost of this? #-Link-Snipped-# If i wanted to buy the unit itself how much will it cost me?
    The gear unit alone costs around 350$.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    pradeep74m
    The gear unit alone costs around 350$.
    Waw and thats US$ right?
  • pradeep74m
    pradeep74m
    CE Designer
    Waw and thats US$ right?
    Yes, its US$.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everyone! I want to learn AVR & PIC controllers from basics. So please suggest me how & from where to start???
I'm facing a problem accessing webpages. I'm unable to access a few websites. The error message requires me to do this: Add Google Chrome as a permitted program in your...
I am basicaly Fire safety consultant. I am in Fire protection system exicutions, Designs, Estimates and training etc. You are welcome to clarify about Fire protection sytem guidelines etc regards,...
😀 hello crazy engineers ..... i am varsha a 2nd year ece student and wanna a part of this community ..😎 after 2 years of engineering now i realized that...
Hi, I just came to know about CE and found it interesting and joined immediately.