Transfroms Why are there So many of them

Why in the world are we having so many transforms to map a signal in time domain into frequency domain

We have Fourier series, the Laplace transform, The fourier transform for the continuous signals alone and the Z transform and DFT for the Discrete signals

And not to forget series expansions in many names as well

WHy are we having so many of them any advantage of one over the other

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    😨
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Kaustubh Katdare
    😨
    Well strange expression sir this is not chillax Why is so many transform there in signal processing ?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Conqueror
    Well strange expression sir this is not chillax Why is so many transform there in signal processing ?

Probably he is as confuse as I am.
    Just a suggestion,

After typing your post, you should read it once just to make sure that others will be able to understand what do you want to convey, right?

-CB
  • Ahsanul haque
    Ahsanul haque
    We are Ideal Follower of them...
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Beauty of these Mathematical expressions is that they convert complex problems into simpler ones which can be solved easily. e.g. Fourier transform converts a time domain problem to frequency domain problem.

Now as much as we can understand the term continuous, for any practical application we need to break it down to discrete values which can be handled by computing machines. e.g. integral is a sum of series of discrete values with number of terms tending to infinity. Similarly, DFT/FFT is for Fourier transform and Z-transform is for Laplace transform.
  • Halil Alper ONAY
    Halil Alper ONAY
    I agree with Anand. As an example, if you want to multiply two signal in time domain,it is too difficult. However, if you do that in laplace domain it is much more easier. At the end, transforms exist for easiness.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Laplace transform converted the signal to s domain mate and not laplace domain A really nice way to emphasis though

Multiplication in time domain will result in convolution in frequency domain right

Halil Alper ONAY
    I agree with Anand. As an example, if you want to multiply two signal in time domain,it is too difficult. However, if you do that in laplace domain it is much more easier. At the end, transforms exist for easiness.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

DTFT is Discrete time Fourier transform In DTFT and Fourier transform we convert a signal from time domain into frequency domain DO note they may look similar with their names...
Well most of us are fascinated by music specially the hard core beats from a professional Drummer can't be forgotten by any of us Well I recently found that Drum...
I have to submit project in this semester. so i'm interested to submit MicroControl/ Power/ Electronics Related Project Please give me some project related idea. this project must be Cheaper...
I have installed tt-rss & I couldn't find the way to add feeds. I simply edited tt-rss's feeds & changed with CE, but I would like to add few more...
Samsung has initiated the first step towards a classy wrist- that of filing an application for a US trademark with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office for it's wearable electronic...