Thermal design of buses

Hi everyone,
I am presently searching for a mini project to work on in thermal sciences.
I thought i would go on with the study of the design of the public transport buses with regards to the thermal aspect of it.
As anyone would know, its uncomfortable traveling in a bus during summer. i would like to study various designs of buses and also propose modifications( like size of the windows,shape ,number or location) to the present design for a comfortable ride in buses.I intend to use ANSYS 11 for the same.

I would like to know if this idea is workable. What are the things i need to gather.

Replies

• ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    waht is ANSYS 11 ??
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    @Ashwij: All ideas are workable if you believe in them. You will need a bus model, information about its design, material used, temperature readings etc
    @Gaurav: ANSYS is a software for analyzing a design. It analyses mechanical and structural stresses and thermal considerations.
    11 is the version number.
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    For this you need to study fluid flow analysis. and for this only Ansys is not sufficient CFD is also need to be used software like fluent.
    this idea is good but not that easy as you think.
    But nothing is imossible...

Best of Luck....😁
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    I feel city busses should have more wider windows and the head space should be more,secondly,they should make the structure which will not absorb heat,and ventilation should be proper too.and thirdly,the AC buses(in Mumbai)dont have proper distribution of cool air as some parts are extreme cold or hot!!!
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    The concept seems to be quite interesting , I will get to it soon friend.
    Best Luck!😀
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    There seems to be a problem in posting a reply , I will have to solve it first, See you later
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    Dear Ashwij,
    The bus design must be done to have a front face shaped so as to give maximum airflow towards the sides of the bus. There should be no eddies or vortice formation as this will reduce the velocity of air and spoil the flow pattern which will inturn reduce the cooling effect of the air reaching the windows. So a flow analysis must be done to avoid above problem and design the front side accordingly.
    The material used must have low heat absorption and high reflection property, which will reduce the heat influx to the bus interior.
    The windows should be designed to have proper dimensions, number of them and the seperation among adjacent windows and their placement such as to overall give more air inflow and better ventilation.
    The inner surface of the bus must use plywood and thermocol to further reduce the heat influx.
    There can be another thought , to have a cavity between the exterior top roof of the bus and the inner roof of the bus, thruoghout the roof. In this cavity we will have a fluid with high heat sensitivity and high heat absorption capacity and the fluid will circulate . This fluid will thus continously absorb some of the heat from the interior of the bus( which includes heat due to conduction from the hot bus body, the radiant heat from outside, and the heat due to respiration of passengers). This fluid will be cooled by using fans of appropriate size and power which can be calculated from the cooling load calculations. Cooling load will be determined from the ambient tempreatue and the degree of cooling required in the bus considering various heat sources.
    To power the fans we can implement solar panels on top of the roof and their numbers and capacity can be calculated to suffice the cooling needed. In addition to the fans the flowing wind on the roof can be used as another cooling agent to cool the fluid along with fans. This will reduce the load on the fans too. And both the sources ie the suns heat( high intensity in summer so more power developed!!) and the wind are both free of cost so efficienct too.
    The solar panels can also provide power to run small fans inside the bus to do direct cooling of inner space.
    Also the concept of havinfg a cavity can be extended to the sides of the bus, but here instead of a special fluid we will have air packed in the cavity which due to its low heat conductivity will reduce the heat flow to the inside of the bus through conduction from the outer heated surface.
    The solar cells can also provide extra power to run A/C's with higher capacity in purely A/C buses thus giving more cooling effect at almost no extra expenditure on power(except initial cost of installation).
    This idea needs to be evaluated for workability, and I am sure you smart ceans will let me know. So do think of it and discuss.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    @Rohan_sK=>
    Can you guess aproximate cost of this bus??
    & now a days is it right to spend such lot of mony on bus which is going in loss?
  • vegbruiser
    vegbruiser
    You want to find* yourself a copy of CFDesign if it's Computational Fluid Dynamics you're looking to carry out - it ties in really easily with Autodesk Inventor or any of the other main stream 3D packages (solidworks etc.)

* click cfdesign torrent - Google Search
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    @vegbruiser: Any more torrent links and dude I will give you the Pink Slip.
  • vegbruiser
    vegbruiser
    raj87verma88
    @vegbruiser: Any more torrent links and dude I will give you the Pink Slip.
    Fair enough raj - I did wonder if that link was ok - it won't happen again.

CFDesign is ace though.
  • ashwij
    ashwij
    hello everyone...
    I had already thought of introducing a cavity
    (with a suitable composite material or by circulating a fluid) in the bus frame. But as Gaurav had mentioned it doesn't look economical.I am aiming at IMPROVING the present design of buses (the public transport type)by bringing about more cooling.
    Thanks for the ideas and the support.I would welcome more ideas.
  • gohm
    gohm
    small, double pane windows; reflective paint; insulation & alternate power source for the AC compressor/fan assembly as they are vary taxing on an engine robbing a lot of power. maybe solar cells on the roof? being a public transport bus it would not be cost effective to go too high tech. Best choice is to make it very efficient.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    How about large fans,the air can be distributed through ducts!!!!
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    sauravgoswami
    How about large fans,the air can be distributed through ducts!!!!
    Hey Sourav, how about incorporating a percolation system along with the fans( big ones;-)) just like in commercial air coolers, so that there will be more cooling done than simply air cooled by fans ( remember your psychometry). This can do better cooling and also if there are duct losses ( which will be of curse) the air still remains cooler.
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    gg_gaurav
    @Rohan_sK=>
    Can you guess aproximate cost of this bus??
    & now a days is it right to spend such lot of mony on bus which is going in loss?
    gaurav, can you estimate the cost of the bus for us , or atleast what factors will you consider in evaluation??
    And what do you mean by transport system running in loss already? which one??
    It was just one possible soltion and noactual costing was considered, can you tell us the cost of say, solar panels for eg. which led you to the LOT OF MONEY SPENT conclusion, educate us please;-)
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    Rohan_sK=>
    gaurav, can you estimate the cost of the bus for us , or atleast what factors will you consider in evaluation??
    And what do you mean by transport system running in loss already? which one??
    It was just one possible soltion and noactual costing was considered, can you tell us the cost of say, solar panels for eg. which led you to the LOT OF MONEY SPENT conclusion, educate us please
    I want to tell that Now a days people are give more prefarance to railways Which is more economical & comfertable. So is it right to invest money in improving bus?
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    @gaurav : buses are still preferred mode of transportation,we can reach to corners of the city which is not possible in trains and if dedicated bus lanes are provided buses can also be as fast as trains!!!!
  • notypie
    notypie
    is thermocole safe for bus insulation
  • darshi43
    darshi43
    IIT Delhi students have done some work on this.
    Here is some lateral thinking .

Home - AMBIATOR - Affordable, Eco-Friendly Cooling
  • naveen royal
    naveen royal
    yep absolutely thats an innovative idea by iit students... i firstly wanna convey my congrats to them on behalf of crook ..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I read somewhere that it is possible for a television station to track which viewers are watching their channel at a particular time, by using some technology called "finger printing...
​ We'll be honest, we're always on the lookout for faster and better ways to annoy our Twitter followers with hopelessly mundane status updates, and this brain-control interface from the...
Sun started with simple philosophy: Sharing is good!!​ Today, Java is shared by 4,500,000 developers and found in hundreds of millions of products – everything from cell phones, PC’s and...
Any pointers for Symbian-C++ programming crash course in gurgaon/ Delhi (India)??? ++thanX prashant.soni [at] gmail [dot] com
😕 ​hello, i'm in IT technology / telecommunication and computer networking department .i have to make my graduation project and i don't have a clue wat to do , i...