Oracle now owns Sun...End of a beautiful dream!

Sun started with simple philosophy: Sharing is good!!​

Today, Java is shared by 4,500,000 developers and found in hundreds of millions of products – everything from cell phones, PC’s and smart cards, to mobile games and automobile dashboards.
Solaris, the world’s most advanced operating system, is shared by a base of over 1,500,000 users. And OpenSolaris ensures more people in more places will soon have more options​

Now with Oracle buying into Sun..the only question to be asked is:
Is it the end of Open Source? and how is it going to redefined everything Schwartz and Sun have been working towards for five-plus years: platform independence, open systems, and affordability ?​

More details:
#-Link-Snipped-#
#-Link-Snipped-#​

Pour in your comments all open source lovers...​

-CrazyBoy​

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: Oracle to buy Sun Micro for $7.4 bn

Is it the end of Open Source? and how is it going to redefined everything Schwartz and Sun have been working towards for five-plus years: platform independence, open systems, and affordability ?
    Noway! Java is just a part of the Open Source World.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Re: Oracle to buy Sun Micro for $7.4 bn

The_Big_K
    Noway! Java is just a part of the Open Source World.

K I am not sure that Is it the emotional feelings towards Open Source community? or just an aftermath of reading this article?

This article is hinting towards the end of Open source Era... I wish this should not happen...

CEans...😒
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I will never believe any damn article that talks about the end of Open Source.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well.. who cares about Java... lots of alternatives available..

.... kidding 😛

Sun could have been bought by IBM. But who knows, there might actually be synergy between Oracle and Sun. At least Oracle do have some OSS projects of their own.
  • arunhero99
    arunhero99
    All those java APIs which we used, reused and misused; cant imagine a proprietary tag coming along.

on a lighter vein, I hope this at least leads to a better java and DB interaction. JDBC oracle interaction sucks.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Is this news is authentic... ?

I checked a dozen articles mentioning that Oracle was going to buy SUN (which alreadey have MySql):

Oracle to buy Sun Microsystems in $7.4 billion deal - Apr. 20, 2009
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Is this deal is done?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Yes very much authentic. Check this

#-Link-Snipped-#

@Ash IBM and Oracle are big rivals. The way Oracle is buying and taking over other companies, it looks like one day IBM will be bought by Oracle only.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yeap, they are big rivals indeed in the software segment. Before Oracle's bid, IBM wanted to gobble up Sun for themselves. I initially thought that would have been a more viable direction seeing they are in similar businesses.. but with conflicting product lines, some would have to be shut down.

But as I said, Oracle and Sun would have a great synergy.. allows Oracle to get straight into the enterprise server markets and compete against giants like IBM, Cisco and HP.

Its funny though. Cisco has an alliance with both Oracle and IBM. Possible conflict of interest?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Any pointers for Symbian-C++ programming crash course in gurgaon/ Delhi (India)??? ++thanX prashant.soni [at] gmail [dot] com
😕 ​hello, i'm in IT technology / telecommunication and computer networking department .i have to make my graduation project and i don't have a clue wat to do , i...
hi how do i connect to a mysql database from visual studio 2008? i'm not able to create an odbc data source either, as there is no driver installed for...
The world of Computerised Maintenance Management Software is being revolutionised by the launch of the next-generation in cutting-edge technology. At the forefront of this progress, Effishon offers businesses a generically...