The future of cloud computing

Two weeks back we had an interesting post on Cloud Computing; exploring #-Link-Snipped-#. It is a current topic and this is well discussed in our #-Link-Snipped-# as well; And we should considering the fact that this technology is going to change the way we work in the near future. Pew Research recently did a web-based survey on how cloud computing is going to change the way we work by 2020.

You can view their findings #-Link-Snipped-#. An excerpt of their findings -

#-Link-Snipped-#Technology experts and stakeholders say they expect they will ‘live mostly in the cloud’ in 2020 and not on the desktop, working mostly through cyberspace-based applications accessed through networked devices. This will substantially advance mobile connectivity through smartphones and other internet appliances. Many say there will be a cloud-desktop hybrid.

I had participated in their survey (which had a good set of questions design to provoke thoughts and conflicts as well) and honestly speaking ... I am left disappointed with the results. I mean, come on to have these findings, why do you need to waste so much time and resources on research. We already had Gartner present the Hype Cycle in 2009, which covered this. I had blogged about it on Gartner Hype Cycle 2009 back then. Based on that hype cycle, this is no surprise. I hope they release their data points, that way an astute person can find mine it for more insights than a statement like the world will be in a cloud by 2020.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Over the past 3 years, a lot of people have taken pot shots at Technology. Right from the Samajwadi party’s manifesto in 2009 to abolish the use of computers in...
The looong wait is finally over. WordPress 3.0 is out and its got custom post types, taxonomy, menu system, brand new theme called twenty ten and lot of new features....
My blogger colleague at CE, Kidakaka has already written about all the hype surrounding cloud in his latest entry. While the hypes have traditionally yielded in nothing (SOA, iPhone?), for...
This question is to all those who loved riding their bicycle in their school days, “Don’t you miss the cool breeze brushing your face as you paddled against your limit?”...
This article is #4 in the series on Entrepreneurship and continued from "Entrepreneurs Should Learn To Fail". Point 4: It’s not about being your boss. It’s about having a vision....