Technology does not make you dumber

Over the past 3 years, a lot of people have taken pot shots at Technology. Right from the #-Link-Snipped-# in 2009 to abolish the use of computers in work, to using technology as an education/learning tool. People have made forecasts that the world is getting dumber with lesser and lesser fundamental innovations being made every year. With work getting automated at levels where an entire car can be manufactured without any manual intervention, the use of technology in our lives is rampant.

#-Link-Snipped-#
Image Courtesy: Rapid Web News

It is because of this that articles like #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# are written and lapped up by the society. Reading this makes me want to shake up the authors real hard and ask them, “Why would you want to spit in your own plate? Backstabbing the very profession that feeds you?”

Technology ensures that tasks which are repetitive are automated within the given set of parameters. This means that you have more time left to do more. If having more time on your hands makes you more stupid, then I shall buy this argument of technology making people dumber. What you do with the additional time is completely your prerogative. If you choose to waste it, so be it.

Why blame technology for that?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The looong wait is finally over. WordPress 3.0 is out and its got custom post types, taxonomy, menu system, brand new theme called twenty ten and lot of new features....
My blogger colleague at CE, Kidakaka has already written about all the hype surrounding cloud in his latest entry. While the hypes have traditionally yielded in nothing (SOA, iPhone?), for...
This question is to all those who loved riding their bicycle in their school days, “Don’t you miss the cool breeze brushing your face as you paddled against your limit?”...
This article is #4 in the series on Entrepreneurship and continued from "Entrepreneurs Should Learn To Fail". Point 4: It’s not about being your boss. It’s about having a vision....
One of my assumptions about career design lays shattered today. I thought that students do not have visibility into their next career spaces, and that is why there is so...