Storage of electricity

When we know the principle of `Storage for rainy day’., ,electricity was also stored for portability, emergencies, and remote application. Latest technologies are improving the capacity of batteries. However, storage, size, chemical deterioration, electrode wear etc. impose restriction to widespread use of batteries as power storage for longer duration. They are presently, no substitute for generating stations. Conversion of alternating current into direct current and inversion into alternating current also introduce losses. Do you think that there is any alternative for storing electricity on large scale for future generations?

Replies

• lal
    lal
    I think, Its a very important topic of concern in the present world. The whole world is too hungry for energy and want it to be portable. Chemical reactions basically power all our portable devices and make it possible to carry and store energy.
    We can also think of using mechanical energy storing devices like a spring to store energy and convert it to electricity. Or run a miniature generator by human power whenever we need some. Those seem to be renewable 😁

Or, may be the best way to store energy is not yet invented 😐
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    [quote="akpower, post: 200336, member: 108130" Do you think that there is any alternative for storing electricity on large scale for future generations?[/quote]

China seems to be doing it. With batteries!
    See here: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bioramani
    [quote="akpower, post: 200336, member: 108130" Do you think that there is any alternative for storing electricity on large scale for future generations?
    China seems to be doing it. With batteries!
    See here: #-Link-Snipped-#[/quote]

Holy kaw! But batteries can't be a permanent solution; unless we're in Afagnistan and digging out tons of Lithium 😉 . I had an opportunity to visit 'Better Place' - an electric car company in Israel and they too are working on developing better batteries. But the kind of storage batteries provide; we can't rely on them for our extended electricity requirements.

My mind keeps me taking back to Geothermal energy and I strongly believe that the petroleum companies in the world are making sure that this form of energy isn't exploited. I've even read that the geothermal energy can take care of humans for thousands of years to come at fraction of a cost.
  • lal
    lal
    And another way is increasing the efficiency of appliances. Just like sticking on to a car that gives a descent mileage than a luxurious fuel drinking monster.

Lightning seems to be a big source if we can some how achieve the ability to store the energy in it.

What if there was an artificial mechanism that's just like the metabolism in human body. Feeding bread and milk to mobile phones, tabs and laptops 😁
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Storage actually means for me is storing the resources for generating power.

If we store enough Uranium and have a safe plant (which is a bit critical now) we can store electricity.
  • Mike Paul
    Mike Paul
    Power storage systems can benefit generators, transmission and distribution utilities, and endusers. It can balance energy fl ows, thus facilitating the integration of variable renewables, and can provide system services and support to electricity infrastructure.

Thanks a lot.
    Mike
    magnetic storage system seems to be an efficient system so far
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    How does a magnetic storage of electric power function?
    As far as I know it is just a property of matter. It can serve as a memory device.
  • Eng.Micah
    Eng.Micah
    mechanical ways of storing electricity are possible like fly wheel in a vacuum can be used to store power.
  • Eng.Micah
    Eng.Micah
    what about employing the principle of photosynthesis or solar simulators ?
  • Kaustubh
    Kaustubh
    super capacitors are the best & efficient devices for energy storage.
    The cost is somewhat large.
    Research is being carried out on these capacitors..
    The major application is in hybrid electric vehicles.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When you cannot generate at-least conserve it. This idea prompted many scientists, engineers, to devise improved appliances for daily use. Most popular amongst them being CFL (compact fluorescent lamps). LED...
CEans from Hyderabad would come together for a CE meet? Date, time, location would be decided on majority , once the number of attendees is confirmed.
Scientists from Karlsruhe Institute of engineering (KIT) have come up with a unique cost effective solution for current limiters. What is it? Can you use it in your household appliances?...
A transformer supplying power is the main transformer and an auxiliary transformer is connected for load sharing. Transformers are operated in parallel to share excessive load on one transformer. In...
I selected a topic for my mini project which is 'Implementation of IPPBX' using Asterisk Open Source Software and it got accepted. Infact my group's aim is to customize the...