Report on MATLAB, LabView and MultiSim

I've got this report due in on the 20th of April. Basic outline dictates that we are to write up on the tasks we've been set to do during class. Pretty straightforward. I've actually been lazy in getting started 😁. I'm going to start my report today. I'm suppose to discuss the merits and demerits of each, I think I've got most of my material on MATLAB as I did my presentation on that software, but the other two especially LabView I'm struggling with. If anyone has any advantages or disadvantages to say I'd appreciate the help.

I'll keep you updated on my progress, I hope to get this report done by Friday at the latest. Just want to get full marks or as close to it as possible as it's 60% of our second module (40% being the presentation).

=) Thanks in advance!

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, I dont get it. The three you have mentioned are basically tools for varied uses. How can they be compared against one another??
    Anyhow, I'll just give you an overview of all the three.

MATLAB : It's a computational tool. It is also used for simulation of some technical phenomena. Anything from simple trajectory planning to complex graph algorithms can be worked out in MATLAB.
    Using MATLAB, you can do normal programming, special tasks like image processing, pattern recognition and matching and so on.

LABVIEW :Labview is a product of National Instruments. it's basically a control systems designer and simulator. You can design blocks of input, feedback and output, you can connect them and form a control system and simulate it using Labview. That control system may actually be anything. It can be an electric circuit, it can be a mechanical ocntrol system, etc. As long as it's related to control, you can simulate it in Labview.

MULTISIM : It's a circuit simulation tool. It's old name was electronics workbench. it's a good tool to simulate simple circuits with opamps and transistors. It can also simulate digital circuits. Multisim comes with some other tools as well, using which you can design layout for your pcb'sand do some other circuit related tasks.

So, in effect, matlab is a computational tool, labview is a control system simulator and multisim is a circuit simulator.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    and add these points too..

MATLAB : It can be also used to control a hardware or specifc operations.

Labveiw : You can even use it now to programme PLD's like FPGA,ARM so on.These days Labview can be integrated with other s/s like matlab for analysis and simulation.Labview is used more as a VI than in Control system

MULTISIM : It even allows you to view response of a particulat circuits as it supports many analysis techniques,these days it is more preferred for development of RF circuits and also embedded systems to some extent.
  • Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    It's not a comparison, we are simply reviewing these softwares. ^^ Thanks guys.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Correction these are EDA-Electronic Design Automation Tools , If thats is so,then you should try them yourself or take feedbacks from one who are using them,as these EDA tools are getting very popular!!!
  • Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    Oh I have tried all three. I just want any external opinions and ideas, because I'm bound to miss points out. I'll put up what I've got tomorrow that way you can add anything I've missed out.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Sure,all the best,be a good presenter and half of your job is done!!!!do share your result with us!!!
  • Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    Agh, I just realised I'm stuck on this one part in MATLAB, I'd appreciate anyone who could share the answer with me? I did most of the parts, just struggling with the last part.

Write a MATLAB script that does the following:

1. To compute the kinetic energy (Joules) given by the formula:
    2. KE = ½ mv2, where m is mass in kg, and v is velocity in m/s
    3. The user is asked to input a list of velocities and constant mass (i.e. the mass is the same regardless of velocity)
    4. A vector showing the Kinetic Energy values must be displayed
    5. A table showing columns for mass, velocity and KE must be displayed
    6. A plot of KE against velocity with appropriate axis labels, title and gridlines must also be shown.

v% This script calculates the value of kinetic energy for the users defined mass and velocity
    vM = input('Enter mass in kg: ');
    vV = input('Enter velocity m/s: ');
    vKE = (0.5*M.*(V^2));
    vdisp('The Kinetic energy is:')
    vdisp(KE)
    vdisp('Joules')

vtable = [M', V', KE'];

Enter mass in kg: 70 % Input 1 prompt
    Enter velocity m/s: 5 % Input 2 prompt

The Kinetic energy is: % Output fixed
    875 % Output of manipulated inputs

Joules % Output fixed

>> table

table =

70 5 875 % The first value is the mass (kg), the second velocity (m/s) and the third is the kinetic energy (joules)
  • Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    Oh and this last one :\

The range of an object shot at an angle θ with respect to the x axis and with an initial velocity v0 is given by:

R = (v02/g) sin (2 θ) for 0 < θ < π/2

The above formula neglects air resistance, and the range R is given in metres, v0 is in m/s, the acceleration due to the earth’s gravity, g, is 9.81m/s2.

For an initial velocity of 100m/s, create a MATLAB script that shows that the maximum range is obtained at θ = π /4 by plotting the range in increments of 0.05 from 0 < θ < π/2

On the same plot, and using the same script, show that the maximum range occurs at θ = π /4 for an initial velocity of 50m/s.

Your plot should include the appropriate title, labels and gridlines. Your script should also show comments.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I couldn't get the first one. It seems you have solved it. All seems fine to me.

SO, I go to the next one. The range thing..
    here, pls note that regardless of the initial velocity, range will be maximum for theta=pi/4.

so, here we go. It'll be a simple program i think. I'll just give you the overview of how to do it. You do it. If you are stuck with some issue, let me know.

first, begin with theta...
    Initialise theta from 0 and increment by say pi/16 or pi/32.

ie, you may write,
    theta=0:pi/32:pi;
    And then, use the formula for 100 m/s and 50 m/s separately, and you'll get two arrays as answer.
    Let's call them as 'first' ans 'second'. Now you want to plot them in the same graph and show that maximum occurs at pi/4. For that, you use the command 'hold on'.

Do this :
     plot(first); hold on; plot(second);
    You can also use subplot, but then, it'll not be in the same graph. Two graphs will be plotted.
    Hope I'm clear. All the best.
  • Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    Silverscorp I'm good with the second one thank you. The first one is the graph. I attempted to put in the values say for example the v is 5m/s, and the m is 70kg, making KE 875 joules. How do I then take these values and plot them into a graph? :S

I tried doing
    plot (KE,V)
    Which returns me with a graph window but there's nothing on it.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    oh..
    You must use a vector for a graph.
    Let me explain.

As you have clearly stated in the question, you need a kinetic energy Vector for this problem. Prompt the user to enter a range of values for velocity and compute the K.E for each value of velocity. It'll go like this:

Input velocity values:

Input Mass: 100
    Then you calculate K.E for each of these values of velocity and then use all these to plot the graph. Clear??
  • Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    I did say I was going to post my full report when I was done but have failed to do so. Apologies! Well this is what I handed in, I'm not sure about the mark I received but I will try and get a hold of it in August some time.

Thank you for everyone who helped! It was much much appreciated. I hope this helps other CEans, please feel free to use this as you please =)

Wasn't sure about where to upload, so I've chosen randomly. If anyone prefers an alternative site, I'd be happy to upload it there. It's a fairly large .doc file, 703 KB.

Anyway, be sure to leave any feedback so future CEans and me can learn from any mistakes I've submitted!

Download:

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Guys, I am planning to buy a Thunder Bird Next month. I have driven the bike few times from friends and did test drive also. The new RE TB...
Manufacturer and distributor of instruments for water quality testing capitalizes on business benefits after first year of deployment SDL Maidenhead - UK, 15th April 2009 SDL, the leading provider of...
Microsoft's Office team has officially announced a Service Pack 2 for Office 2007, which adds some speed, reliability, and printing improvements across the board. The major new new thing? Native......
I have been trying to solve this issue for a while now and have finally caved in to ask for some help. Can someone give me some advice on how...
error : package does not exist when i try to import one pakage into other package .But actually package exist.what to do?