07 Feb 2012

Remember Orkut? It's Got #hashtags, if you still care

Do you remember Orkut? Almost everyone around me was hooked to it until Facebook came and ate its lunch. But Google's still betting on the service and adding new features to the service. Google's just enabled #hashtags feature in Orkut. When you post any content, you can create hashtags automatically by adding a hash in front of the word that you wish to tag. For example, if you write - I just joined #crazyengineers (remember, no spaces) then the service will automatically highlight #crazyengineers and will link it to a search page where other hashtags or relevant results will be displayed.

Check this official Google Blog update: https://www.pluggd.in/orkut-launches-support-for-hashtags-297/

By the way, how many of you are still active on Orkut?
K!r@nS!ngu

K!r@nS!ngu

Branch Unspecified
07 Feb 2012
I forgot the URL of orkut ! can someone post it here ???😛
Mr.Don

Mr.Don

Branch Unspecified
07 Feb 2012
Interesting, found out many CE communities created by various college students in Orkut!

https://www.orkut.co.in/Main#UniversalSearch?origin=box&q=crazy engineers&searchFor=A
Sahithi Pallavi

Sahithi Pallavi

Computer Science
07 Feb 2012
What is orkut? I've almost forgot about it.

@Mr.Don - Nice search 👍
Ankita Katdare

Ankita Katdare

Computer Science
07 Feb 2012
Mr.Don
Interesting, found out many CE communities created by various college students in Orkut!

https://www.orkut.co.in/Main#UniversalSearch?origin=box&q=crazy engineers&searchFor=A
Thats a HUGE list! 😲

one of my friends said she missed the 'testimonials' on Orkut.

PS: No one cares what orkut does, let alone if it even exists or not.
Anoop Kumar

Anoop Kumar

Branch Unspecified
07 Feb 2012
Openness , games and apps on facebook killed orkut.Google lately allowed games and apps.
No friends activity was going on facebook.
One day one of my friend asked me to be team of game Mafia war and neighbor of a game Firmville , no matter you play or not.
This was a significant way that you can be on social network and play games meanwhile.

I don't know why still Google still improving Orkut!!!
nigelb

nigelb

Branch Unspecified
10 Feb 2012
Its fun to see Google keeping Orkut alive when they themselves have a competing product in G+.
circularsquare

circularsquare

Branch Unspecified
11 Feb 2012
nigelb
Its fun to see Google keeping Orkut alive when they themselves have a competing product in G+.
This is true of many Google products. They sometimes acquire a competing product but still keep both products operational instead of merging them.
This has happened with youtube and google video as well. For a long time google video hosted its own videos even though youtube was under the google household.
11 Feb 2012
Most of the Google products have been failures.
circularsquare

circularsquare

Branch Unspecified
11 Feb 2012
The_Big_K

Definitely not this one - https://www.google.com/logos/2011/lespaul.html
11 Feb 2012
circularsquare
Definitely not this one - https://www.google.com/logos/2011/lespaul.html
That's not a product. It's a doodle. Google Buzz was a classic failure.
Reya

Reya

Branch Unspecified
11 Feb 2012
Ah! I have an account in orkut😲 I don't think that orkut can compete with Facebook.
Anoop Kumar

Anoop Kumar

Branch Unspecified
11 Feb 2012
The_Big_K
They are monster in making products... if most of them will succeed Google will be synonym of internet and software.
take a look a search engine: who use other search engine other than google.com. Microsoft tried on bing a lot but nothing happens.
Gmail is fastest growing email in personal users.
Android already beats iOS.
Adsense and adwords changed the way of internet ads.
Cloud is coming.

At least some space should be there on internet other than google. 😀
circularsquare

circularsquare

Branch Unspecified
11 Feb 2012
Something to think over -
Initially when google started out till many years it didn't create it's own content. It only linked to other people's content.
For example google news never provided it's own news. It has always linked to news agency websites and just collated the content at one place according to relevance.
Google search always is about other websites.

Same with youtube , the videos are posted by someone else.
In contrast yahoo has always been content provider what with games and stuff.

Is this proposition still valid that 'Google doesn't produce own content as such only brings it together in one place' ?

By content I mean stuff such as knowledge , games, entertainment, news articles , etc.

I won't include videos which explain google features as content per se. Those are simply information.
I think closest Google gets to being part of world culture is when it does the doodles.
vinci

vinci

Computer Science
13 Feb 2012
google is still strongly competing Apple and facebook in terms of products and softwares
sowjitha

sowjitha

Branch Unspecified
13 Feb 2012
Yup I have a orkut account in my past but now I don't know.I just forgot my id and password
Dancer_Engineer

Dancer_Engineer

Branch Unspecified
13 Feb 2012
sowjitha
Yup I have a orkut account in my past but now I don't know.I just forgot my id and password
Ohh, that's sad. Never mind! 😉

Share this content on your social channels -

Only logged in users can reply.