Detailed engineering on Engine!

Hi Everyone,
i know how an engine works. What i want to know is what are the materials used for engineering a engine. Like the material of cylinder block, crank case, cylinder, valves, piston, cam shaft etc. I want the reason behind the selection of the materials. I need it briefly ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Al-Otaiby
    Al-Otaiby
    I have everything at home, once I get back I'll check my university books and get back to you ๐Ÿ˜€
  • viky1147
    viky1147
    Awaiting
    #-Link-Snipped-# ๐Ÿ‘
  • viky1147
    viky1147
    Thanks sir! Will go through it
  • mechky
    mechky
    cylinder block - grey cast iron/cast iron alloyed with nickel & chromium/aluminium alloy
    crankcase - alloy cast iron/plastics
    cylinder - cast iron/aluminium alloyed with silicon
    valves - chromium-silicon steel(silchrome & volmax) also known as valve steel
    piston - alloy cast iron/aluminium alloy
    camshaft - alloy cast iron
  • Al-Otaiby
    Al-Otaiby
    Here you go buddy ๐Ÿ˜€

-Cylinder block in old engines and diesel engines are made of grey cast iron (it can take high compression)
    -Cylinder block in air cooled engines and new engines are made of Aluminium alloy (It gains and looses heat rabidly)
    -Oil pan is made of steel plate (it looses heat fast and can resist hits)
    -Pistons are made of Aluminuim alloy in normal cars and from gery cast iron mixed with aluminuim alloy in new and sport cars (better heat treatment and can take compressions)
    -oil rings are made of steel chips for flexibility
    -compression rings are made of steel
    -Piston arms are made of tempered and normalised steel for high bending torque.
    -Crankshaft is made of steel or cast iron with spherical graphite requirements and to achieve high resistance to stresses often used Hardening Alloy Steel.
    -Flywheel Made of steel cast-iron mixture

If you need anything else please don't hesitate to contact me.
  • viky1147
    viky1147
    Thanks a lot both of you ๐Ÿ˜€ Hats off!
  • viky1147
    viky1147
    al-otaiby
    Wat about Valves, Gears, Chasis?
    And wats the difference between Gray cast iron and cast iron?
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Cast Iron is formed from Iron-carbon alloys having a very high percentage of carbon.
    In gray cast iron the excess carbon forms graphite flakes in the microstructure whilst in white cast iron the excess carbon forms cementite which makes white cast iron extremely hard and brittle, more so than gray.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    gray cast iron has granules of graphite in it which constitutes the pearlite
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    viky1147
    al-otaiby
    Wat about Valves, Gears, Chasis?
    And wats the difference between Gray cast iron and cast iron?
    chassis is not part of the engine.

but anyways, we use steel as its material

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Bandra Worli sea link is probably India's few mega structures project. The sea link is a cable stayed bridge that is 5.6km long and uses viaducts on either side....
CEans, Through small talk we interview engineers who've had an impact in the world. If you wish to see your favorite personality in our Small Talk, please post your suggestion...
Inviting all the random thoughts and views on identifying your own passion and why it is important.
Ok CEans, I have something really interesting to share with you all. I had been to Phoenix Mills, Mumbai, India last friday, and I witnessed Creativity Live. It was an...
when will be ies exam 2012