Is interstellar travel possible? - 100YSS Program

For those of us who wish to explore space beyond what is conceivable today, the 100 Year Starship (100YSS) is like a dream come true.

Mae Jemison, M.D., the world’s first woman astronaut of color to travel in space (1992’s Space Shuttle Endeavour) has taken up the leadership to build an organisation that focuses on making human travel between distant stars possible within the next 100 years.

Read our article here:
#-Link-Snipped-#

Do you think interstellar travel is possible?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    They're planning for the next century at the beginning of this century! That's a good plan. I hope to trave at least to the moon, by 2030. 😨
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Proxima centauri is the closest star to earth at 4.24 light years even at 90% speed of light a round trip will take about ten years to the traveller. Because of relativity time dilation will mean that about 25 years would have passed onearth. On return the traveeler would be 15 years younger than if he stayed back on earth.
    Enormous amounts of energy will be needed even to reach 90% speed of light.

In my opinion, interstellar travel is not possible.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Never say never.

😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Let us wait and see. At 73 may not have too much time to wait.
    Is Warp Drive Real? | NASA
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bioramani
    Let us wait and see. At 73 may not have too much time to wait.
    Is Warp Drive Real? | NASA
    Never say Never! 😁
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think we should interview Mae Jemison and ask her why she thinks this is possible and how are they going to proceed.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    We would probably need new energy sources like the anti-matter or dark matter or something for that kind of space travel, I guess..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    silverscorpion
    We would probably need new energy sources like the anti-matter or dark matter or something for that kind of space travel, I guess..
    Why can't light energy work? I'm sure the space ships will always find a light source to power it. Plus, once the ship is in motion; it can continue without needing any extra source of energy for a longer duration.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Light energy? You mean something like solar energy in the space?

Hmm.. Since we are talking about interstellar space travel, we should assume that on the course of travel, there might be points where our ship is in the region where there is no light available. We are leaving our star, the sun, and trying to get to another star. There may be regions in between, where we get no light from either stars. What would be our energy source then? We will not be sure how long this dark phase would exist and when we would begin getting light again..
  • shreyasstar
    shreyasstar
    I agree with #-Link-Snipped-#, the tremendous energy needed can be harnessed from anti-matter.
    In a post posted few days back Brian Greene said in the video that anti-matter produces a repulsive force that is pushing the galaxies away from each other. Now if we could harness this energy it could be used to power such a travel.
    Lets see...in a few more years from now it could be a reality...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    This perhaps:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • akash.kasina
    akash.kasina
    but though we managed to find a way for travelling,the universe is full of many dangers that we may face on the way,like asteroids,meteors,and of course black holes,wormholes.who knows!!!we may even come in contact with life from another planet!
  • robo_warrior
    robo_warrior
    there are much simpler ways of interstellar travel probably:: in a beer bottle ship 😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Never say never.
    😀
    An update:
    I (in the next birth perhaps) may have to eat my words.
    NASA is developing a test rig to measure artificially generated warping of space-time.
    However, I am not very hungry yet and this will not happen in a hurry.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hii everyone I want 2 know about work exerience in Amdocs?? actually what type of work I m gng 2 perform ?
Someoone please help me with this. How do I find the elctrostatic energy per unit length using these 3 methods: 1. 2. (Q^2)/2C 3.
IM MARINE ENGINEER..I HAVE DONE B.S IN MARINE ENGINEERING .TOLANI HAS STARTED A One Year Master’s Programme in Marine Engineering ​IN COLLABRATION WITH Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde in Glasgow...
As a response to warrantless surveillance Bill C-30, Bill C-11, SOPA, and all similar future legislation the Pirate Party of Canada is initiating Operation Electronic Leviathan. This operation aims to...
I need help regarding the Final year diploma Project Topics(computer engineering). Guys please Suggest some awesome topics