HTML query

Guys whenever i see the coding of any web page on a web Browser...I wondered why this line is written on start of any webpage...
why it is required...?Is it really necessary to write this?

😕😕

Replies

• Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    !DOCTYPE is a top level tag that identifies which version of HTML or XHTML the document is using (called DTD).
    HTML and XHTML come in a variety of versions

DTD stands for "Document Type Definition" and is a tool used by web browsers to determine what set of "rules" to use when reading the document. These "rules" are actually machine language that layout the legal structure,
    elements and attributes of a type of HTML or XHTML.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    mahesh_dahale
    !DOCTYPE is a top level tag that identifies which version of HTML or XHTML the document is using (called DTD).
    HTML and XHTML come in a variety of versions

DTD stands for "Document Type Definition" and is a tool used by web browsers to determine what set of "rules" to use when reading the document. These "rules" are actually machine language that layout the legal structure,
    elements and attributes of a type of HTML or XHTML.
    Thanks Mahesh...
    But is it necessary to mention this?
    I mean ..I have also created website for my college..at that time i have not use this
    but there was no problem
    or it is standard?
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    Not having a Doctype will prevent a page from validating.
    Validated HTML is important for search engine indexing.
    When the !DOCTYPE tag is omitted most browsers will attempt to guess at which language the document was written in. When forced to guess at the !DOCTYPE, the browser will render pages much slower and often in error.
    If the !DOCTYPE cannot be determined by the browser, it will default into "quirks" mode parsing. Quirks mode parsing is more forgiving, but can often render code in a way not intended by the author.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Thanks...mahesh..i

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Guys I am not much aware of this...since years ago I heard something like that we can make clouds to thunder according to our wish ..by puting some salt on...
A lady was driving along with her father. They came upon a storm, and the young lady asked her father, What should I do?" He said "keep driving". Cars began...
Hi, I am a Mechanical student, currently at my final year so I am to do my FYP aka Final Year Project with the title of hybrid power generator (solar...
CEans, If you have been following our discussions in this sections, you might be aware that we're now starting to actively promote CE among colleges in India (to begin with...
WizMouse Version: 1.0.0.2 File Size: 510 License: Free WizMouse is a mouse enhancement utility that makes your mouse wheel work on the window currently under the mouse pointer, instead of...