ESA: Astroid Deflection Mission

What we've seen in movies might just become a reality one day and we'll have a big astroid coming our way to destroy the Earth. What'd you do in such a case? Being prepared to handle such situation is the first step - and it's the ESA's Astroid deflection mission.

The mission will officially be called "Asteroid Impact and Deflection mission – AIDA". It will have a set of two spacecrafts sent on the mission. The first of the two, Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) will be responsible for will collide with the smaller of the two astroids approaching Earth. The second spacecraft, Asteroid Impact Monitor will monitor the collision and record various parameters of the collision (before and after).

How the actual deflection mechanism will work is yet to be known, but the ADM folks are working hard on it. I'm sure they'll come up with a solution quickly.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

sir, we can share our net connection from our phone to laptop through Bluetooth facility(wireless mode)....but why it is not possible in personal computer?
we know that any object which is thrown with a speed of 11.2kmps or greater can overcome the earth's gravitational pull and enters the space....is there any method or any...
So,suddenly my PC stopped working.I tried to reboot & it freezed at boot screen. What I did ? - Removed RAM & remounted it. Result : Fail. - Removed Harddisk...
Can a mobile phone be affected by virus?I transferred songs from a virus affected laptop.but the song files are virus free.the laptop had virus in some other files and not...
I came to know that

tag doesn't only adjusts the size of the text within it, but also nominates the text for search engines,i.e text written within header tag...