PC freezes at Boot screen ! HELP!!

So,suddenly my PC stopped working.I tried to reboot & it freezed at boot screen.

What I did ?
- Removed RAM & remounted it. Result : Fail.
- Removed Harddisk & DVD Drive.Result : On screen error appears of "NO PXE ROM"
So,either DVD Drive is damaged or HardDisk.
- Replugged DVD Drive to SATA.Same error as above obtained.
- Replugged Harddisk again to same SATA port. Result : Freeze at boot screen.
- Removed Harddisk plugs from SATA1 & plugged to SATA2.result : Freeze at boot screen.
- Removed harddisk entirely from case & inserted bootable Linux CD & everything worked (ofcourse cant save a shit)

So,I think my harddisk is damaged.

Can any CEan tell me that is it possible to use internal hdd as external hdd & get all my data back ??
My 500GB harddisk consists treasures,man!
I have been collecting data-sheets,Self-made Linux tutorials,Hiphop songs,Project works,Bunch of tar ball files since last 3 years.

And being honest,I never took backup(the heck I was thinking of myself that my data will never get corrupted?).But if i lose these files (Linux tuts,data sheets & tar balls....songs are no big deal) then I'll be doomed πŸ˜”

Help me with some hardware side tweak so that i can use this dead hdd & recover my data back in new hdd.
Any help will be highly appreciated 😭

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Never heard of this problem. Is it on laptop?
    Yes, internal HDD can be used as external HDD. You can find a 2.5" or 3.5" case (as per your need) in local market @INR. 250/- .
    There are #-Link-Snipped-#that do not force to use that HDD it might cause permanent failure.
    get backup asap.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Try this simple solution, although I don't know if it works, but it worth a try:
    Replug HDD etc. and unplug all USB stuff, then try to reboot, without connecting any USB's with your computer.
    Lets Hope that this worksπŸ‘
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    Never heard of this problem. Is it on laptop?
    Nope, it's desktop.

rahul69
    Try this simple solution, although I don't know if it works, but it worth a try:
    Replug HDD etc. and unplug all USB stuff, then try to reboot, without connecting any USB's with your computer.
    Lets Hope that this worksπŸ‘
    Did it, nothing new happens.Thanks for trying to help.
    I am in ragemode like the incredible hulk!
    😑 😑
  • whiz.kid.aniket
    whiz.kid.aniket
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Use another spare HDD as primary and this one as secondary!
    This might work! So all your data is corrupted/deleted?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    whiz.kid.aniket
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Use another spare HDD as primary and this one as secondary!
    This might work! So all your data is corrupted/deleted?
    1 hd only <- main problem,else i wudve fixed it :/
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Troll_So_Hard
    Nope, it's desktop.
    If it is desktop then you need 3.5" hdd casing and first take backup.
    It mostly seems HDD problem.
    Is it Seagate HDD?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    If it is desktop then you need 3.5" hdd casing and first take backup.
    It mostly seems HDD problem.
    Is it Seagate HDD?
    Yeah! It's Seagate make.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Troll_So_Hard
    Yeah! It's Seagate make.
    Then,
    I afraid you need to take care your HDD soon.There are some cases I have seen, Seagate crashed just at a time without any warning.
    If not wrong HDD carry 5 years warranty do check if you can replace it.
    I suggest you to buy only Western Digital HDD now on.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Thank you very much #-Link-Snipped-#

But but before I switch to other hd,I am thinking of resetting BIOS by clearing it first.
    Sadly,I can't find jumper or CMOS battery,I know there gotta be CMOS but I can't find it.

Can you tell me whether it is on Northside bridge or Southside bridge ?
    Maybe re-configuring BIOS will fix the problem & simultaneously save my time & cash πŸ˜‰
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I used to reset it from BIOS menu or removing battery only, but haven't cleared BIOS from jumper.
    Better look with your motherboard specific manual or help. It got to be nearby battery only.
    Check this bios reset jumper - Google Search
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Try Hiren's boot CD. Not sure it will work or not but it is worth trying.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    godfather
    Try Hiren's boot CD. Not sure it will work or not but it is worth trying.
    Tried.Sadly my Hard disk is dead,I tried it connecting when PC was running - The harddisk doesn't even responds or gets hot πŸ˜”

Have to buy new HD.
    Any suggestions ?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Buy an #-Link-Snipped-# and an external 1 TB WD My Passport for back up.
    Fin your peace of mind πŸ‘
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    Buy an #-Link-Snipped-# and an external 1 TB WD My Passport for back up.
    Fin your peace of mind πŸ‘
    Thanks man but I can't afford both.
    The fact is I can't afford 1TB internal hd atm.

But hey I have a thought for this :
    Can I use my external hd as primary bootable harddisk.
    I know that I can,but my concern is "speed".
    I have read that using external hd to boot OS is not suggested as the speed will be less than that of internal hd.
    Illuminate my knowledge here πŸ˜€

I am thinking of biying either internal or external hd.
    If external hd works fast then I am thinking of making it bootable & carry my os & data wherever i want.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    You can boot from external hdd which support USB. oot ... But I am sure you have to compromise with speed ...
    Not sure how many times you need to boot on different machines but problems occurs while loading machine specific drivers.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    why cant u make your os using pen drive
    we can boot with pen drive too

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can a mobile phone be affected by virus?I transferred songs from a virus affected laptop.but the song files are virus free.the laptop had virus in some other files and not...
I came to know that

tag doesn't only adjusts the size of the text within it, but also nominates the text for search engines,i.e text written within header tag...

Infosys has been nominated to work on the Indian government's MCA-21 e-Governance project. The overall worth of the project is about Rs. 357.81 crore. The project is believed to be...
how to download java development kit latest version on my laptop having 32-bit windows 7 configuration ? also help me with downloading of SQL server .PLEASE DO HELP for heaven's...
Okay, here's something really to look forward to - the Japanese electronics major Sony has dropped a big hint that they'll announce something 'big' related to their Playstation brand. Now,...