PC freezes at Boot screen ! HELP!!

Abhishek Rawal
@abhishek-fg9tRh โ€ข Oct 27, 2024

So,suddenly my PC stopped working.I tried to reboot & it freezed at boot screen.

What I did ?
- Removed RAM & remounted it. Result : Fail.
- Removed Harddisk & DVD Drive.Result : On screen error appears of "NO PXE ROM"
So,either DVD Drive is damaged or HardDisk.
- Replugged DVD Drive to SATA.Same error as above obtained.
- Replugged Harddisk again to same SATA port. Result : Freeze at boot screen.
- Removed Harddisk plugs from SATA1 & plugged to SATA2.result : Freeze at boot screen.
- Removed harddisk entirely from case & inserted bootable Linux CD & everything worked (ofcourse cant save a shit)

So,I think my harddisk is damaged.

Can any CEan tell me that is it possible to use internal hdd as external hdd & get all my data back ??
My 500GB harddisk consists treasures,man!
I have been collecting data-sheets,Self-made Linux tutorials,Hiphop songs,Project works,Bunch of tar ball files since last 3 years.

And being honest,I never took backup(the heck I was thinking of myself that my data will never get corrupted?).But if i lose these files (Linux tuts,data sheets & tar balls....songs are no big deal) then I'll be doomed ๐Ÿ˜”

Help me with some hardware side tweak so that i can use this dead hdd & recover my data back in new hdd.
Any help will be highly appreciated ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Replies

Welcome, guest

Join CrazyEngineers to reply, ask questions, and participate in conversations.

CrazyEngineers powered by Jatra Community Platform

  • Anoop Kumar

    @anoop-kumar-GDGRCn • Jan 16, 2013

    Never heard of this problem. Is it on laptop?
    Yes, internal HDD can be used as external HDD. You can find a 2.5" or 3.5" case (as per your need) in local market @INR. 250/- .
    There are #-Link-Snipped-#that do not force to use that HDD it might cause permanent failure.
    get backup asap.

  • rahul69

    @rahul69-97fAOs • Jan 16, 2013

    Try this simple solution, although I don't know if it works, but it worth a try:
    Replug HDD etc. and unplug all USB stuff, then try to reboot, without connecting any USB's with your computer.
    Lets Hope that this works๐Ÿ‘

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Jan 16, 2013

    ianoopNever heard of this problem. Is it on laptop?

    Nope, it's desktop.

    rahul69Try this simple solution, although I don't know if it works, but it worth a try:
    Replug HDD etc. and unplug all USB stuff, then try to reboot, without connecting any USB's with your computer.
    Lets Hope that this works๐Ÿ‘

    Did it, nothing new happens.Thanks for trying to help.
    I am in ragemode like the incredible hulk!
    ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก

  • whiz.kid.aniket

    @whizkidaniket-5IiBCq • Jan 16, 2013

    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Use another spare HDD as primary and this one as secondary!
    This might work! So all your data is corrupted/deleted?

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Jan 16, 2013

    whiz.kid.aniket#-Link-Snipped-#
    Use another spare HDD as primary and this one as secondary!
    This might work! So all your data is corrupted/deleted?

    1 hd only <- main problem,else i wudve fixed it :/

  • Anoop Kumar

    @anoop-kumar-GDGRCn • Jan 16, 2013

    Troll_So_HardNope, it's desktop.

    If it is desktop then you need 3.5" hdd casing and first take backup.
    It mostly seems HDD problem.
    Is it Seagate HDD?

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Jan 16, 2013

    ianoopIf it is desktop then you need 3.5" hdd casing and first take backup.
    It mostly seems HDD problem.
    Is it Seagate HDD?

    Yeah! It's Seagate make.

  • Anoop Kumar

    @anoop-kumar-GDGRCn • Jan 16, 2013

    Troll_So_HardYeah! It's Seagate make.

    Then,
    I afraid you need to take care your HDD soon.There are some cases I have seen, Seagate crashed just at a time without any warning.
    If not wrong HDD carry 5 years warranty do check if you can replace it.
    I suggest you to buy only Western Digital HDD now on.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Jan 16, 2013

    Thank you very much #-Link-Snipped-#

    But but before I switch to other hd,I am thinking of resetting BIOS by clearing it first.
    Sadly,I can't find jumper or CMOS battery,I know there gotta be CMOS but I can't find it.

    Can you tell me whether it is on Northside bridge or Southside bridge ?
    Maybe re-configuring BIOS will fix the problem & simultaneously save my time & cash ๐Ÿ˜‰

  • Anoop Kumar

    @anoop-kumar-GDGRCn • Jan 16, 2013

    I used to reset it from BIOS menu or removing battery only, but haven't cleared BIOS from jumper.
    Better look with your motherboard specific manual or help. It got to be nearby battery only.
    Check this <a href="https://www.google.com/search?q=bios+reset+jumper&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=2333UMWlHYrUrQf4noC4Bg&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=900" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">bios reset jumper - Google Search</a>

  • Harshad Italiya

    @harshad-ukH5ww • Jan 16, 2013

    Try Hiren's boot CD. Not sure it will work or not but it is worth trying.

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Jan 18, 2013

    godfatherTry Hiren's boot CD. Not sure it will work or not but it is worth trying.

    Tried.Sadly my Hard disk is dead,I tried it connecting when PC was running - The harddisk doesn't even responds or gets hot ๐Ÿ˜”

    Have to buy new HD.
    Any suggestions ?

  • Anoop Kumar

    @anoop-kumar-GDGRCn • Jan 18, 2013

    Buy an #-Link-Snipped-# and an external 1 TB WD My Passport for back up.
    Fin your peace of mind ๐Ÿ‘

  • Abhishek Rawal

    @abhishek-fg9tRh • Jan 19, 2013

    ianoopBuy an #-Link-Snipped-# and an external 1 TB WD My Passport for back up.
    Fin your peace of mind ๐Ÿ‘

    Thanks man but I can't afford both.
    The fact is I can't afford 1TB internal hd atm.

    But hey I have a thought for this :
    Can I use my external hd as primary bootable harddisk.
    I know that I can,but my concern is "speed".
    I have read that using external hd to boot OS is not suggested as the speed will be less than that of internal hd.
    Illuminate my knowledge here ๐Ÿ˜€

    I am thinking of biying either internal or external hd.
    If external hd works fast then I am thinking of making it bootable & carry my os & data wherever i want.

  • Anoop Kumar

    @anoop-kumar-GDGRCn • Jan 19, 2013

    You can boot from external hdd which support USB. oot ... But I am sure you have to compromise with speed ...
    Not sure how many times you need to boot on different machines but problems occurs while loading machine specific drivers.

  • narayana murthy

    @narayana-z4W16q • Jan 20, 2013

    why cant u make your os using pen drive
    we can boot with pen drive too