Engineers at University of Michigan Develop Self Healing Cement!

I think this is quite amazing, a team of engineers and scientists at umich.edu have developed self healing concrete. The best thing is, all the material needed is water & CO[sub]2[/sub].

Explaining the process, Victor Li, the E. Benjamin Wylie Collegiate Professor of Civil Engineering, commented: “It’s like if you get a small cut on your hand, your body can heal itself. But if you have a large wound, your body needs help. You might need stitches. We’ve created a material with such tiny crack widths that it takes care of the healing by itself. Even if you overload it, the cracks stay small.”, reports 'Latest-Engineering-News'.

Watch the video: #-Link-Snipped-#

What do our Civil Engineers have to say about this invention?

Replies

• CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    it is a wonderful innovation in the field of constructions 😁

it is one topic which students widely use for seminars and stuff these days 😀

some weeks back i also came across this article 😁

check it out guys 😀
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • gohm
    gohm
    what a great step forward! What applications do our C.E.s think this new technology will be applied to first?
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    i think the bridge constructions should go for these. since these concrete in bridges over water are subjected to moisture and hence corrosion, this would be the best option for a long life span😁
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Wow!! This is cool! Indeed a great stride forward.. 😀
  • RISHABH LALA
    RISHABH LALA
    Its a Rocking Concrete and it heals itself whenever the crack appears !
    There are basically two methods to make SHC and they are
    1. Chemical Method - Successfully Experimented by chan-Moon Chung,Yonsei University in South Korea.
    2. Biological Method - The Bacteria are released in the concrete in their spores which break when the conditions for the bacteria becomes unfavorable i.e. it gets in contact with the moisture/water that precipitates in the material through the crack . The bacteria releases limestone by reacting with the calcite present in the unhydrated cement which fills the crack developed in the concrete.
    Hence, the life of SHC is not predicted so far as its a very new concept but there is an estimation that it would last for the 40 years or so as the cracks are healed instantaneously; compared to 15 years of conventional concrete.
    One of the famous structure built with SHC is THE THREE GORGES DAM, CHINA.
  • prahu mac
    prahu mac
    seems like a beginning of a new era in the history of civil engineering!!!!!!!!
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Its a better innovation needed at the correct time. If I am civil engineer I would use it in earthquake resistable buildings and building which are in close contact to it.
    Anybody out there please post some updates on self healing cement if possible.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Germany is going to play against Spain for an entry in FIFA 2010 final and I'm sure everyone here is going to be glued to their TV Sets. This thread...
dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
This is a conflicting question that frustrates me. what extent of dependency is good? in sense healthy. There are two facets of it, dependency and getting way by lettings other...
Hi every one, My project is Design and Implementation of Integer Factorization Tool based on Multiple Algorithms.I have written code using trial division method, pollards factorization methods ,ecm,quadratic sieve algorithms.I...
Ever since CE started, we've been following two rules and we've been quite hard on implementing them - English as the medium of communication. Strict no to SMS language I...