Do meters consume energy themselves ?

I just wondered, if a multimeter is connected across the terminals of a battery, to check its voltage, and is kept in that manner continuously for a long period of time, then would the battery voltage diminish. (considering that no other load is powered by the battery.

because according to the laws of thermodynamics, even the meter requires some energy to work.

wouldn't the same thing go the watthour meters ?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Yeah true

"Every Action Has Equal and Opposite Reaction"

So we need an action to trigger a reaction. An action requires energy to do it. If this is the case battery uses some power when a multimeter is attached to check its Voltage.

The funny part is this power consumed is almost 0 W as the voltmeters have very very high resistance and so the current passing through them is very minimum.

This being said if any device allows current to flow through it, It consumes power but the magnitude differs

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Many youngsters are bothered about lack of a proper degree or work experience to put on their resume. The start up Cream.hr tries to address this by developing a scientific...
GOOGLE seems to be looking for other maps to conquer. It has started seeing stars. 100,000 of them! It has come up with a new visualization tool called 100,000 stars...
IEEE periodically offers free content on pertinent topics. Here is a clutch of free white papers: https://www.ieee.org/portal/innovate/freecontent/index.html?mtcCampaign=12537&mtcEmail=117584974
hello everyone i completed my b tech from jntu university. i am confused with my career. 1 SAP 2 oracle 3 networking which one is better
those who have appeared for gate and have got results please share your RANK and MARKS, gate score(optional).and dont forget to mention your stream and year of exam.please post as...