D-I-Y Perpetual Motion for die hard believers (Fake of course)

It is difficult to believe that this contraption is not for real, seeing only the video. Only when one gets down literally to bolts and nuts do we see where the catch is. Fun though, all the way.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The first photograph from step one brings back so many memories of the 'Mechano Days'. I guess most of us CEan used to play with the Mechano tools. (You probably called it something different?)

This whole idea was a masterpiece though! 😀 The way that guy revealed the secret of all the perpetual motion builders was the best part.
    Like someone asked in the comments there - Does anyone here have any idea for the ways of cutting that CD using really basic tools? That would be of help.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    The first photograph from step one brings back so many memories of the 'Mechano Days'. I guess most of us CEan used to play with the Mechano tools. (You probably called it something different?)
    Meccano
    When a kid, I was given the basic set. Had loads of fun with it. Some how parents used to give only toys that required the child to do something with it rather than just plug and play.
  • lal
    lal
    That looks perpetual at first 😁 The nuts and bolts create, kind of, an illusion!

Happened to stumble on something similar. An idea for infinite energy 😁
    [​IMG]
    It looks workable at first. I think the force exerted by the hollow balls in the water to pull in new balls cannot counter the opposite force by water at the bottom (at the rubber tube in picture). Or is there any other reasons!
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

the balls can't pass over the pulley so easily due to friction.

besides belt drive is the least efficient of all transmission systems and the input mechanical power to the generator will be very less.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-# asked:Or is there any other reasons!
    Let us do a simple calculation.
    The ideal case for this system to work is when the balls have zero weight and they are all touching each other to maximise the buoyancy of the portion inside the water. Let us further assume that there are n balls in the column with a diameter D
    Total volume of balls in water (pulling upward) = nxPix(D^3)/6...(1) which is also the buoyancy force pulling the assembly up (density = 1)
    The depth of water = nxD, which is also the pressure at that depth for water (density = 1)
    Area of one ball = PixD^2/4
    Force pushing the ball out = pressure x area = nxDxPixD^2/4 = nxPix(D^3)/4...(2)

(2) is greater than (1) whatever the value of n. In the absence of friction, the chain will revolve in the opposite direction with a corresponding volume of water pouring out, which is only a variation of hydro electric generation and is no great shakes.

Poser: Suppose we have a hollow flexible tube snugly fitting the bottom hole. In this case no water leaks. So even if we get a reverse motion, it is free energy. That would still count as perpetual motion. Will that work? A similar calculation will disprove that assumption too.
  • lal
    lal
    Thank you sir. I tried to work out the forces when the balls were replaced by a tube as you said.

I got buoyancy = force pushing the ball out = pixR^2xh
    'R' being the radius of tube and 'h' the height of column.
    So the tube willnot move at all. Right sir?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    lal
    Thank you sir. I tried to work out the forces when the balls were replaced by a tube as you said.

I got buoyancy = force pushing the ball out = pixR^2xh
    'R' being the radius of tube and 'h' the height of column.
    So the tube willnot move at all. Right sir?
    Right you are. 100%. That exactly matches the push out force.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

My nephew sent this to me: Quote: Some years ago, a group of people in Warangal Andhra Pradesh - threw acid on a girl's face because the girl had rejected...
Jeffrey Wright has got it right. A Physics teacher, he loves to teach, he teaches love. His methods are crazy enough to make him a top CEan. An amazing man...
Vivid and startling pictures taken from space of Good, Bad and the Ugly of events of 2012: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20214931
In these days of rapid technology development, the line of separation between Sci Fi and Science Facts is really getting blurred. Star trek is barely a nose ahead. Nasa's NEXT...
Take a roller coaster ride alongside the Space Shttle on the Solid Rocket Booster (SRB). The sound is the best part. https://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/157965