Education style in india

What do you think about the education style in india?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't think about it anymore.
  • Differential
    Differential
    ms_cs
    There is lot to say on it! But at this moment, I would say, education is a field which was never given proper attention to, by Indian governments. The state of government school is still poor at many places. Moreover, they don't change with time! Same old stuff!
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Could you refer some link or give some basic idea about Indian Education system? Just for the benefit of our Non Indian members. This way they would also be able to chip in their views.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Maybe.. if one of you start talking from your own childhood experience, it would be an interesting perspective 😀
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    In my point of view In India the education system is not good ...
    I dont want to blame the students...The school system itself is bad..as Differential said,,state board students still lagging in technical knowledge...
    In India if a student want to get degree and having money means he or she can get an engineering or some other....What is my point is In most of the places money places a important role..
  • gabriel
    gabriel
    Establishing a hall mark of quality in Indian teaching methods may be considered a Utopian dream by some. Yet most our Indian educationalists are aware of the momentous issues. So we, Indians, are still optimistic about the improvements of our teaching methods which will lead to a climate of inquiry and thought. That in turn will lead to a fast expanding CrazyEngineers drawn from the diverse social classes of Indian society.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    India have the most cretical quction Papulation So it will directly affect the eduation
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    the main fact is that If you have money then there will be very very less affert in edution. But if you are from midle class or poor (third) then You have to fight for scolership. there are very difficulty of post gradution for middle class student
  • thisisananth
    thisisananth
    This is a really big topic but suffice to say that there is a lot to be desired.

I have studied in one of the best Engineering colleges in Andhra Pradesh but I still feel that I havent studied anything in those four years. It was just mugging before the exams.

Though I should blame myself for the sorry state of affairs, I think the lecturers have played their part in making it so boring.

Atleast I saw the IITs buzzing with activity during Shastra..

Though the system requires a lot of changes, if I am given just one change to make then I would want the classes to be more practical. And in engineering most of the things taught in colleges are being used in the real world so I think it is not at all difficult for the lecturer to show them practically.

And I think they have to teach in such a way that the students feel passionate about a subject and they love it. That is missing which makes the four years a big bore... other than thinking about future..!!!

A timely post on this topic by a knowledgeable person #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    @ananth: I strongly agree with you.

In fact lecturer/professor job is low paying job(when comparing to job in companies) but having requirements ,with high quality.But most of the colleges recruiting the persons irrespective of their quality and considers just a degree. In the current scenario if the person having ME/PG or PHD degree means , he sure get job in colleges.They want to give small salary, that could be the reason for the good engineers dont prefer lecturer job mostly
  • thisisananth
    thisisananth
    Yes, thats absolutely true. But now a days I think a lecturers job is also an attractive proposition as some of my friends in the IT industry are planning to quit to teach..
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    You guys are correct!!!
    But its not to blame the lecturers alone ..
    In our childhood in kindergarden say we were taught with expressions and practice more of practical than mugging something.
    When we grow older people and parents around need marks not knowledge.
    We study as you said we Mug for marks so we dont get the knowledge .
    And the worst is techers also teach how to remember rather how to understand 😔 so the situation is bad.

The system has to change in the direction of the thought !!! marks are deciding factors for ones knowledge in subject , the practical analysis is required.

This is the only reason many final year engineers from India ask for ready made projects , a person studying about conductions coils in 2nd year will never see them in the transformer in his 4 years .
    So the theory part has to be reduced and practical part has to be increased.

From childhood say from class 2 we were used to spoon feeding so people are used to it very badly such that they need everything without efforts!!!

there is lot more to change , firstly we here in CE have to change , instead of asking any question here we can instead try our level best and then ask the question such that it will be a first step to change 😎
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Hello CEans,

Have a look at this thread,

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    It will become best the day teachers stop dictatorship in schools and stop being over lenient in colleges. Indian students are very intelligent what they lack is they dont know here to use that intelligence, lack of knowledge for implication should be filled with the practical teaching of what they study.

Thats my opinion
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    kashish0711
    It will become best the day teachers stop dictatorship in schools and stop being over lenient in colleges. Indian students are very intelligent what they lack is they dont know here to use that intelligence, lack of knowledge for implication should be filled with the practical teaching of what they study.

Thats my opinion
    Hmm...Due to this, the other countries utilize Indian brains effectively.
  • din_Power Engg
    din_Power Engg
    ya the lecturer inefficiency is there...but in general in a country like India where social setup is so strong and nearly inseparable from day to activities, i think the present system holds good. may be not better....Also as we know that our people living in various regions are more emotional than intellectual.....they expect their culture and lifestyle also gets included in the education system of their kids(though they certainly knows that its of no use in real life).....we all remember what happened when some proposed to include *** education in schools....because it is not inclusive enough (certain sections of the society opposed it)...the same holds for all other reforms too......Indians are seen as intelligent enough due to not only of their technical skills, but also due to their social skills, their ability to be sincere, loyal, trustworthy and positive attitude....... i think these are best served and provided only due to the current setup.....

but, here i make it clear that i'm not a opposer to reforms nor me a big fan of the current system......i just want to say that no better system can suit India and its regional, sectional, social and emotional aspirations than the current ones....

-------------------------------------------------------------
    if you are thinking something more forward in time not in line with the current generation, first u will be labeled fool...then a dreamer.....then a guy with thoughts...and finally the father of a new theory/ philosophy......but at that time already a century would have passed after your demise.......
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    I disagree.

Ya.Indian students are intelligent. But don't say as we have good education system. If possible read the article 'Several engineers are unemployable' | Bengaluru News - Times of India .
  • din_Power Engg
    din_Power Engg
    i have to clarify a thing here, my point here is that, the prsent system is to be reformed, not replaced and the steps for that. Just debating that the system is bad, bad, and bad or good will wont help. We have to come to a conslusion. Some tangible reforms and alternatives are to be presented for improving the system. My solution is to move step by step...
    1. obolish all the present state and central education boards
    2. let the center, in discussion with the respective states introduce a seperate syllabi and grading system for all the states indudivally.
    3. All of these should be governed by a single board from centre with statewise sub boards governed by the respective states.
    4. The system should be amended every certain fixed years conssidering the situation then.

of all, my unofficial request is to omit the histroy subject from the curriculum. it creates unnecessary delusions among the classes and regions.
  • thisisananth
    thisisananth
    @dinesh

Looks like all your recommendations are going to be implemented soon... Yashpal committe report has all these recos and Kapil Sibal plans to implement them in 100 days... Its a welcome change in Indian Education
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Yashpal committe have to see my thread 😉
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    you are right ms_cs

One Point:

Here in India Technology comes form industry and University teaches them to colleges while
    in some other countries University creates technology and send them to Industries.

am i right?
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Hmmm.You are correct GF.

Standford,MIT are examples.
    In india, Even the research centres are few.
    And one more point, The real innovative thinkers are just migrating from india to other countries, I have read one article recently, which is related to mentor of google, who is an Indian.I forgot his name.Our Indian universities should have such great mentors,
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    But our country has financial problem to provide funds for such researches !!!

All money goes to the pockets of politicians.
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    ms_cs
    Most of institutions in India make admissions by taking a look at the board exam marks.
    Especially most of the state government boards concentrate on the theoretical knowledge in comparison to practical exposure.Theoretical knowledge is important but in addition to it even the the places where they are applied also should be concentrated.
  • tech_vaibhav_ee
    tech_vaibhav_ee
    vishnu priya
    Most of institutions in India make admissions by taking a look at the board exam marks.
    Especially most of the state government boards concentrate on the theoretical knowledge in comparison to practical exposure.Theoretical knowledge is important but in addition to it even the the places where they are applied also should be concentrated.
    I have a point to make here..we keep on criticising our education system and ask for practical education...maybe that is the root of the problem..i am studying in an engineering college right now and have seen most of the students criticising almost every course they study and hence pay no attention to understand the concepts involved in the course..they just say that they want practical education without even uderstanding what practical edu. is....what i believe is that theory and practical are hugely interrelated and only a thorough understanding of the theory may lead to a beneficial practical application ....but what we do is we just try to jump to the practical part of everything....Maybe that is the reason why most of the engineers coming out of our engineering colleges are actually "not engineers"..
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    Just a little suggestion from my side :

I think there should be much more emphasis on the Practical Implementation of the subjects learned esp. in Engineering colleges.

Except a very few Institutions imparting Technical education, the rest DONT CARE to give their students any Practical exposure correlating the Theory they teach.

This should be taken care of at the earliest if we have to bring up Real Engineers.

The Private Engineering colleges are the worst of the lot except a very few rare examples which really make a mark in the education they provide.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I tend to agree with tech_vaibhav_ee.

With regards to practical implementation.. while it is the school's responsibility to implement that in their syllabus, I'm sure students are still able to implement the theory in practice by themselves.. doing side projects, etc.

We can say that the institutes don't care. But would the students care? If so, they would have been proactive. Hopefully, this can show those in charge that practical education does have its benefits.
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    The situation I mentioned is from the Largest Metro in India where I studied, so you can imagine what the plight is elsewhere. And this the bitter ground reality here.

There are only a very few exceptions as I mentioned( like IIT's , some regional colleges, few NIT's, BITS, etc.) But the rest have just become a money minting business, which has to change.

We all take up small projects, but do the students get enough guidance, support and a helping hand from their professors or colleges in their efforts. The answer is NO in majority of the cases, or just a little otherwise.

Again there will be exceptions. The professors hardly care to even check if the student has understood anything from his 1 hour blabbering in the lecture. And if you go to them for doubts or problems the response is almost like 'What the heck ' in most cases. There is more of discouragement than interest shown.

And for the students to do projects themselves( except FYP's), well, I would say, it doesnt take much fiddling with transistors, pcbs and leds, its just the same what people mingle with in college labs day in and day out. But what when it comes to compressors, turbines and gas plants, believe me its not just turning nuts and bolts. These are not things to lay your hands on sitting in the corner of your house and say Ive done a small home project.

For this we need Industrial visits, seminars or other such programs on REGULAR basis in the college and not just leave it for an annual techfest or treat it like an yearly formality. Does it happen on a sufficiently frequent intervals here?

Its easy to comment when one does not even know the ABC's of what the education system holds for reality, in here.

And implementing Theory correctly in Practical does need proper guidance and I say this because its dangerous to have engineers with misunderstood or unclear concepts trying hands on equipments, machines or tools and going on a figure out byself trip.
    I would be more than happy to see professors taking interest in it and actually taking out time to help students in this regard or atleast encouraging them.

Is it correct to expect all the initiative to be taken by students and the authorities sit with their bums frozen.

It has become a trend to pound students saying they are not doing some thing from their side, well its true upto an extent. But thats living in a paradise of fools I would say. There has to be a conducive environment provided which will inculcate the desire in students to themselves feel more interested in their fields, which has disappeared in thin air in most places. First provide the basics needed and then ask for perfection.
    Those who studied here know it well.

And I think that its better if the responsibility for a certain thing is owned by the ones who are indeed supposed to do so and put things in place.( here the administration of colleges and the govt) and not shrug your shoulders saying, oh you could well do it from your side.

And yep, students need to care and be proactive and what? be seen sitting in the Chanceller's chair, running colleges, is it so??

And for what Vaibhav said, yes its absolutely necessary to have your Theoretical concepts strong.To tell you, Your college practicals are just the tip of the iceberg as far as practical implementation of the subject is concerned. Be sure, you'll see it for yourself in your college in course of your degree. The curriculum is not even an iota of what you face in the real industrial world.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Rohan_sK I agree with you. One have to very strong in theoretical knowledge. I can say that, If he/she is strong in the methods, and theoretical knowledge, the manual provided by company for the equipment will be enough to work in practicals
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Mate Indian Education is Good mate...
    When compared to other country they have high standard of education in practical way mate..
    So only i have decided top take Diploma instead of High Class Studies mate...
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    I don't know, I just finished my diploma in electrical engineering from one of the most reputated college of my state in fact for diploma, it stands at second spot after Thapar University.

And well I have been recently looking at the pattern for studies abroad as I am looking to go for B.Tech there and I found that comparative to that, in India education system is like very behind. We only lack the teaching style, the things we study is same and believe me the day they start teaching everything practically, abroad colleges will get way behind in the race, we Indians are already praised for our theoretical knowledge and the day students (not yet engineers) are made to learn how to use that knowledge in practical life, we will get to the top.

Right now, no offense, but I think our education system is only good in few universities/colleges like IIT etc. but for others, we need to improve heavily.
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    kashish0711
    I don't know, I just finished my diploma in electrical engineering from one of the most reputated college of my state in fact for diploma, it stands at second spot after Thapar University.

And well I have been recently looking at the pattern for studies abroad as I am looking to go for B.Tech there and I found that comparative to that, in India education system is like very behind. We only lack the teaching style, the things we study is same and believe me the day they start teaching everything practically, abroad colleges will get way behind in the race, we Indians are already praised for our theoretical knowledge and the day students (not yet engineers) are made to learn how to use that knowledge in practical life, we will get to the top.

Right now, no offense, but I think our education system is only good in few universities/colleges like IIT etc. but for others, we need to improve heavily.
    Yeah exactly mate..
    The Teaching style also varies from institution you choose even the same pattern is there mates...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

need help with designing electricity distribution network for a rural area that uses renwable energy as a source of energy. 😁specifically specifications of the cheapest components avaliable on the market
Hello friendz.. I am a B.Tech 2nd year(Computer Science) student..Want to pursue some enrichment course or summer training after 2nd year.. Can somebody help me to sort out the things....😕...
In a recent post, Sarah Lacy posed the question of whether Israel has lost its mojo. It looks like AOL believes the mojo is still very much somewhere in the...
We had our second official CrazyEngineers meet in Delhi, India on 28th March 2009. It was a very productive meeting with ideas flying all around the place! We met at...
CarDomain and StreetFire, the no. 1 and no. 2 social networks for car enthusiasts, respectively, have merged. An announcement will be made later this morning. StreetFire CEO Glenn Rogers will...