CAT - 2009 - Verbal Discussions

Hello people,

In this thread we will discuss all the methods , strategies short cuts , easier methods what ever to crack the toughest part of CAT exam that is verbal.
In this thread we will discuss how to score marks in the Verbal section.
So major discussion include :

1. How to improve reading speed .

2. What are the materials to be referred.

3. Learning Vocabulary.

4. Strategy to Crack the RC .

5. Learning Grammar.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The first topic is the reading speed :

The reading speed for CAT aspirants should be atleast 250 words per min.

For increasing there is a approach, Dont read one word at a time instead read couple of words at a time.

This can be done on concentrating on the middle of the line not at the corner.
    observe the news papers they give all the news in short lines rather than long lines.
    so practicing it takes some time but speed increases very soon.
    So guys start reading books ,novels , blogs etc etc fast such that your speed will be good.

please post your questions here ?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    For increasing reading speed, there's a book called "How to read better and faster" by Norman Lewis. It's a good book, and it might be of some help to drastically increase your reading speed.
    But be informed that reading that book will not increase your speed. That book will give you techniques for speed reading and will point out the mistakes you make that slow you down during reading. 'You' have to practice more and more and fine tune your reading skills.
    As told, reading speed is an important factor in CAT RC's.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Also, there are some excellent books for developing your vocabulary. I would recommend the following books,

1) Word power made easy
    2) Six weeks to words of power
    3) Tyranny of words

In that order. 1st book is fairly easy and fun. 2nd book is a little advanced. 3rd is truly for advanced english users. I've finished 3/4th of the first book and have got the second one..
    PS These are not absolutely essential to develop vocab. They are just one of the ways to do it.
  • whizkid123
    whizkid123
    Word power made easy is a must read book.Nautical miles by IMS is also good for improving vocabulary.
    online resource for vocabulary
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Ceans, In this thread we will discuss all the methods , short cuts , easier methods to crack the QUANT part of CAT exam . Mathematics is a bit...
Hi people, Just now, English Scared started two threads for quants and verbal for CAT 2009. He left out DI. So, I'm starting one for DI too, as it's also...
Hi guys, this is one interesting connect. You can very easily identify the theme, but getting to the connect is a bit tricky.. Good luck. Happy connecting😁😁
Is that easy to get a Mechanical Engineer job in the Philippines for someone like me considering the fact that i am an indian? Anyone have any ideas??? Please help...
What is electromagnetic force(emf).please give me a brief explanation about it