What is EMF?

What is electromagnetic force(emf).please give me a brief explanation about it

Replies

• syedaafaq
    syedaafaq
    The electromagnetic field is a physical Field %28Physics%29 produced by Electric Charge. It affects the behavior of charged objects in the vicinity of the field.
    The electromagnetic field extends indefinitely throughout space and describes the Electromagnetism. It is one of the four Fundamental Force of nature (the others are Gravitation, the Weak Interaction, and the Strong Interaction). The field propagates by Electromagnetic Radiation; in order of increasing energy (decreasing Wavelength) electromagnetic radiation comprises: Radio Wave, Microwave, Infrared, Visible Spectrum, Ultraviolet, X Ray, and Gamma Ray.
    The field can be viewed as the combination of an Electric Field and a Magnetic Field. The electric field is produced by stationary charges, and the magnetic field by moving charges (currents); these two are often described as the sources of the field. The way in which charges and currents interact with the electromagnetic field is described by Maxwell%27S Equations and the Lorentz Force Law.
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    true...with emf we can measure voltage deflections too
  • shoaib_y4u2
    shoaib_y4u2
    guys we relate EMF with voltage y is dat so.... EMF is field ryt?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Electro-Motive Force can be used to determine voltage direction.
    Electro-Magnetic Field ........ Syedaafaq has explained it.

They are two different things. The starter of this thread got confused and he/she mixed the two names.
  • morganparkar
    morganparkar
    praba230890
    What is electromagnetic force(emf).please give me a brief explanation about it
    Hi Friend,

Electronic Music Foundation (EMF) is an ensemble of programs that provide different perspectives on how music, sound art, technology, and science come together to enhance human creativity and communication. The programs relate to public events, dissemination of information, and access to materials. The following paragraphs list and describe the programs.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    morganparkar
    Hi Friend,

Electronic Music Foundation (EMF) is an ensemble of programs that provide different perspectives on how music, sound art, technology, and science come together to enhance human creativity and communication. The programs relate to public events, dissemination of information, and access to materials. The following paragraphs list and describe the programs.
    I don't think this is what the Thread Starter wanted as an answer. He has specified "Electro Magnetic Force". Please read first before answering.
  • Ernesha
    Ernesha
    An infinite-range attractive or repulsive force which acts between charged particles. A particle at rest feels only the force due to the electric field , called couloumbs law.
  • Ernesha
    Ernesha
    In physics, the electromagnetic force is the force that the Electromagnetic Fieldelectromagnetic field exerts on electrically charged particles. It is the electromagnetic force that holds electrons and protons together in Atomatoms, and which hold atoms together to make molecules. The electromagnetic force operates via the exchange of Messenger Particlemessenger particles called photons and Virtual Photonsvirtual photons. The exchange of messenger particles between bodies acts to create the perceptual force whereby instead of just pushing or pulling particles apart, the exchange changes the character of the particles that swap them.
    :roll: 😛
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    shoaib_y4u2
    guys we relate EMF with voltage y is dat so.... EMF is field ryt?
    A si already discussed EMF can be used to variate voltage deflection since its Motive force,another is their as Raj mentioned
  • Ernesha
    Ernesha
    According to Maxwell, even a potential difference can have the same effect as an emf. Nevertheless, normal usage does not consider a voltage difference as a source of emf.

1. For a resistor the voltage difference across its ends serves as the sole source of emf.
    2. For a voltaic cell the net emf is the sum of the chemical emf, which always tends to drive current so as to discharge the cell, and the voltage difference emf across its terminals. The combination of the two emfs can drive current in either direction, thus permitting both charge and discharge; in equilibrium, where there is zero current, these two emfs cancel.
    3. For a circuit as a whole, such as one containing a resistor in series with a voltaic cell, voltage does not contribute to the overall emf, because the voltage difference on going around a circuit is zero. (See Kirchhoff%27S Circuit Laws)
    4. For a circuit consisting of a capacitor that discharges through a resistor, the emf that drives current is solely due to the voltage difference across the resistor, and due to the capacitor.
    If a source of emf is not connected to an external resistor, then an electric current cannot flow through that resistor (Ohm's Law). In this case, between the terminals of the source there must exist a true electric field that produces a voltage difference that exactly cancels the emf of the source.
    The source of this true electric field is the electric charge that has been separated by the mechanism generating the emf Electromotive Force Cite Note 5. For example, the chemical reaction in a voltaic cell stops when the electric field across each electrode is strong enough to stop the reactions at each electrode.
    This electric field between the terminals of the battery creates an electric Potential Difference that can be measured with a Voltmeter. The polarity of this measured potential difference is always opposite to that of the generated emf. The value of the emf for the battery (or other source) is the value of this 'open circuit' voltage. When the battery is charging or discharging, the emf [​IMG] itself cannot be measured directly. It can, however, be inferred from a measurement of the current I and voltage difference V, provided that the internal resistance has already been measured: I=( [​IMG] -V)/r.
    One of Volta's great contributions to science was to recognize that a voltaic cell has two sources of emf, the chemical reactions at each electrode. He showed that they provide distinct emfs [​IMG] and [​IMG] that oppose one another, so that two identical electrodes give no net emf, but that two different electrodes give a net emf of [​IMG], which we assume is positive. A schematic of this circuit would have a long electrode 1 and a short electrode 2, to indicate that electrode 1 dominates. Volta's law about opposing electrode emfs means that, given ten electrodes (e.g. zinc and nine other materials), which can be used to produce 45 types of voltaic cells (10*9/2), only nine relative measurements (e.g. copper and each of the nine others) are needed to get all 45 possible emfs that these ten electrodes can produce.
  • Ernesha
    Ernesha
    this illustrates why EmF and VOLTAGE are interconnected

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Holy Kaw! This is AWESOME! GIDS Organizers have special offer for CEans! Visit this link: Great Indian Developer Summit REGISTER HERE USING SPECIAL CODE "GIDS09CENG" & AVAIL DISCOUNTS 35% OFF...
help me.... which one is better???? 1. flying or technical officer in defense-air force. OR 2. software engineer in a IT industry.
Is there any chance to make a shortcut for "set image size"?
hello all, I am a mechanical engineer but while discussing with a friend I have got a query regarding civil engineering. while constructing a beam one binds wire around steel.......
Hi all... I was just searching on net and found this site related to civil engineering and desire to become an civil engineer someday. I found this page on environmental...