X-Men: Science Can Build Them, But Is It Ethical?

Asa Griggs Candler Professor of Bioethics Paul Root Wolpe explores these questions raised by X-Men: First Class.

[video=youtube;Sh30K_kMyCU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh30K_kMyCU[/video]

Is science capable of enhancing human abilities to the extent of the powers of the X-Men?

Are the implications of this ethical?

Replies

• ProdigiousJ
    ProdigiousJ
    I would say that the implications are ethical for discovery and science alone. If someone needed some particular power to figure more about something then thats great. But i think the main concern would be if it got out of hand and "power" hungry people would chase after it with their money. In that case it's not ethical at all. It would probably just reinforce the prophecy of humans destroying the world with technology.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    @AKD: How about if I bless you with powers of X-men. Won't you be happy? Yes you will be. You will be superhero. I guess anyone would like that.

However, to prevent misuse of power it should not be given to evil. " With power comes great responsibilities" ๐Ÿ‘ and it should remain with responsible person.

This is the social aspect which I can think of. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    ishutopre
    @AKD: How about if I bless you with powers of X-men. Won't you be happy? Yes you will be. You will be superhero. I guess anyone would like that.

However, to prevent misuse of power it should not be given to evil. " With power comes great responsibilities" ๐Ÿ‘ and it should remain with responsible person.

This is the social aspect which I can think of. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Agreed to that!!! I don't like the part where they keep creating more and more parts for the same movie. Why not think different???

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Parront AR Drone is a nice toy that can be controlled with the help of iPad or iPhone. At the launch company said that they will roll out support for...
Need Help regarding memory card. i have 2 gb sd micro memory card ..Also brought a suitable adapter for it(as i didnt get one while purchase) to connect to my...
Quote: Submit a new Step By Step, Photo, or Video Instructable that involves a microcontroller. Instructables must be published during the contest period to be eligible. unquote Microcontroller Contest INFO
I've been checking out statistics on various portals that as Facebook is approaching 700 million worldwide users, the traffic in US is dropping - thanks to the new era of...