Wolfram Alpha For Electrical Engineers - A guide!

WolframAlpha is a freely available computational engine that can supplement already existing software such as mathematica, maple, mathlab, or excel. The purpose of this mini-guide is to go over some of its functionality with emphasis on electrical engineering.
Dimensional analysis:

WolframAlpha recognizes many common units. It will simplify dimensions and scale units. For example,

Code: farad * henry
will generate [time]^2

Code: 0.01 uF to pF
will generate 10,000 pF or 10 nF

WolframAlpha also can tap its database to pull up a conversion formula from the context

Code: convert 25 MHz to meters
will convert the frequency to wavelength 12 meters

Code: find energy in 100 uF at 10 KV
will give energy in a capacitor,

or to find inductance to resonate with 10 nF capacitor at 100 Khz; just say that

Code: find inductance for 10 nF at 100 KHz
output 253 nH

Also if you haven't memorized resistor color bands already, you can still look them up

Code: resistor yellow purple red
output: 4.7K

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Complex numbers and phasors:

Working in polar form is supported in W|A. By typing an impedance in rectangular form

30 + 45i
    we are quickly given its magnitude and phase of 54, and 56 degrees

and likewise, we can indicate a phasor in polar form with an exponential e

e^(i pi)
    generates -1

we can also manipulate phasors algebraically

100 e^(i 45 deg) + 25 e^(i 30 deg)
    output: magnitude = 124, phase = 42 deg

indicate degrees with “deg” otherwise W|A will interpret it in radians.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A bag contains 10 blue marbles, 20 green marbles and 30 red marbles. A marble is drawn from the bag, its colour recorded and it is put back in the...
hi, my name is k mahesh.i have been doing as an electronics engineer in VLSI
If you are on a deserted island, which single technology would you prefer to be with?
I read this in an article here: The next decade could see a huge shift in the way armed drones and their human controllers interact, with potentially profound effects on...
Hello all, I am new to this forum. I am an electrical engineer and I want to know what is a ring main unit? I am unable to find an...