what is a ring main unit?

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I am an electrical engineer and I want to know what is a ring main unit? I am unable to find an explanation in the books I am referring. Please help.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# I googled it up and after a bit of reading found that a "ring main unit or RMU" is basically used for an uninterrupted power supply.
    It is a standard piece of switchgear in distribution systems comprising of switches for switching power cable rings and of switches in series with fuses for the protection of distribution transformers.

Alongside, it also protects your secondary side transformer from the occasional transient currents.
    One can use a switch fuse combination or a circuit breaker to protect the transformer, depending on his/her applications and loading conditions.
  • khyzer shamsi
    khyzer shamsi
    #-Link-Snipped-# i want to know about the same ring main unit as discussed by AbraKaDabra
  • khyzer shamsi
    khyzer shamsi
    #-Link-Snipped-# i dnt think it is used for interrupted supply. Rest f the information i too got on google.
    Can u pls provide me the SLD of RMU and also the function of each component.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Ring main units are used in distribution networks are normally formed by interconnecting a number of ring shaped grids. Distribution transformers are then connected to the system by T-offs. Instead of specifying and selecting individual components required for a T-off, the required components are frequently available in an integrated package known as a ring-main unit.

• highvoltpower
    highvoltpower
    Ring main unit in electrical power distribution is a standard piece of switchgear comprising of switches for switching power cable rings of switches in series with fuses for the protection of distribution transformers. RMU is allow to install on medium voltage distribution network and mostly used work locally is main advantage particularly where limited panel space. It’s a fully automatic linking system. for further info related to rmu please visit

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

where can i get info for project of speed control of dc motor using fuzzy logic such as ckt and the components required for makeing the ckt for giving it...
I am an electronics & instrumentation student...from Cochin. Shall be in my fourth year this July. Hope being a member here helps me in my path to achieve my desires...
Previously i dual booted f15 with w7,, now i am trying to install f16 during installation i tried following trials.. 1. i kept one partition empty in w7 and tried...
I am Civil Engineer and doing consultancy in Project Management wiht more 30 years in various fields like power, roads, traffic marine works etc.
hey, what is the difference between a program and a process running on a given operating system? regards, proffy