Why Triangles

Why triangles not squares,rectangles or other geometric shapes are the strongest.
The shape is commonly used to supports, trusses, etc. in buildings, but why triangle???

Replies

• CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    i think it is so because triangle is the simplest structure and also is the strongest. i mean when a triangle is deformed it does so only by failure of a joint or lengthening of one side. in case of a rectangle it can fail by just changing the angles between its members. it is hence highly unstable. we can strengthen this rectangle by adding a single member connecting the opposite corners of a diagonal thus making it into two triangles.

am i right?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I think that a triangle has a flat base and two inclined sides. The top vertex when loaded, the load can be distributed in both horizontal and vertical directions.
    Where as a rectangle or square, has a direct and full impact of load, only on one side. Due to such high stress concentration on a single direction the square or rectangle break easily.

I think that is the reason!
    What say people?
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Hey guys Check this out: BUILDING BIG: Shapes Lab
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Because triangle is the only polygon that cannot be distorted. Three points completely define a plane.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Bioramani
  • akshay rathore
    akshay rathore
    But then why most of the bridge piers are rectangle , square , circular shaped ?........why can't they be triangular shaped ? which brings me to another doubt , why is not there A TRIANGULAR STIRRUP/TIE ? , why is there only rectangular 2/3/4- legged stirrups ?
  • @n@nd
    @n@nd
    if the stirrups have to be triangular, then the beams cant be rectagular or square.. even in a singly reinforced beam we give rods wer its not necessary too... for the stirrups to be stable... for a fixed beam der is no bending moment at d corners(supports). and for the negative B.M. it undergoes(sagging) we lay bottom rods. but just for the support we also provide a minimum of 2- 10 or 12 mm rods as top rods.. and stirrups to hold them. if they r triangle, then i think it ll lead to less percentage of steel ratio with concrete in d gross area.. i think 0.8 to 1% of steel in gross area.. not sure,,and i get a tot here... stirrups are shear rods ryt? is der possibility to link with shear plane here?
  • Marvin Kalngan
    Marvin Kalngan
    how about if we a try a circular in shape??
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    marvin cute
    how about if we a try a circular in shape??
    Circular shape is costly to manufacture and triangle is cheapest - which serves the purpose.
  • Marvin Kalngan
    Marvin Kalngan
    Circular shape is costly to manufacture and triangle is cheapest - which serves the purpose.
    Circular shape is costly but view is very good.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    marvin cute
    Circular shape is costly but view is very good.
    Circular shape structures are not very strong due to un-balanced forces (lots of efforts and money is invested to make that stable, that's why they are costly) and other aspect from designing.

-CB
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Balancing a structure is the prime concern given into while constructing a massive structure

The wider the base the better The narrower the top even the more better That makes Trapezium and triangular design work marvels

But Why triangle easy construction no special equipment and other considerations to be made here
  • Marvin Kalngan
    Marvin Kalngan
    circular is better than triangular
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    marvin cute
    Maybe you should add some explanation 😀
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    marvin cute
    I dont think so.there are many type of sections such as triangular,circular,c shaped u shaped and each type serves its own purpose.In buildings,each section has its own advantage and helps in distribution of load .different types of sections have been used for cantilever,simply supported,continuously supported beams.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, i have a seminar to present 1st week of April and need a topic based on Neural networks (Artificial intelligence). Thanks Engineers.
Hi everyone ! i am a bit confused .It's my final semester Electrical Engg.I have to take GRE before competing under graduation but the problem is that whether should i...
hi m doing 3rd year engineering in computer science,i get an paper presentation in network security,how can i do tat plzz help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want to send messages from computer to mobile phone connected to my router.And also want to display notification on mobile phone(Preferably like the notification that is shown to display...
CEans, Keen observers must have noticed couple of changes we've introduced on CrazyEngineers. Here's an overview - 1. Likes Tree: The likes tree is a very useful feature that lets...