Why so many "explain my project to me" threads?

Education can produce many comical situations. I can't resist asking the question of why there are so many threads that go along the lines of:

๐Ÿ˜” I'm doing a senior year project titled "The retro-ossification of enveloping fusion coils". Please explain to me what enveloping fusion coils are and give me links to information about their retro-ossification.

How do people end up doing a project that is merely a string of words to them? Are people required to pick their project merely from a list of titles?

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    We are also searching for an answer to this question. Good luck to you. This one was nothing. You should see the thread where the members were supposed to ask questions to the creator of Wolfram Alpha website.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Those threads are contributed by a majority of students from Indian engineering colleges. As a part of curriculum, they must come up with an idea for a project and work on it on their own. Project submission is mandatory for getting marks/grades in the university degree.

This section is specifically introduced to cater to their requests. Otherwise, our technical discussions sections would get flooded with 'free lunch request' ideas.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Above is the link. Read it. It is sad as well as funny. Half of me wanted to cry in pain while the other half was in splits.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    @Biggie: Tell me one thing. When you were in college, did you go about shouting like a banshee on heat that you needed ideas for some project or anything like that. I am guessing you did it on your own by applying your brains. You were also an Indian student.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I guess students go online and look for topics that are available readily, and sound geeky (to impress their teachers/friends maybe)!!

A lot of my class mates (in BE) were doing projects, about which they had absolutely no idea. In fact two of my, four, project partners had absolutely no idea what our project was all about!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, in my time we actually searched our library for ideas already done - not to copy them; but to make sure we didn't copy them! ๐Ÿ˜€

We picked up two ideas and came up with our own idea of putting the whole process of transformer/motor design on the web [it was a web-service for electrical engineers].

Pretty advanced & new project in my time for sure ๐Ÿ˜
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Guys you won't believe the kind of mails I get in my inbox! Some specify all the details and ask me for a ready made PPT so that they can simply present it to their teachers. Some go ahead and ask for ready made circuit diagram & even a working model! ๐Ÿ˜

That's primarily because engineering education in India is more of a 'business' & sure-shot way of getting a job.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    The_Big_K
    ....Guys you won't believe the kind of mails I get in my inbox! Some specify all the details and ask me for a ready made PPT so that they can simply present it to their teachers. Some go ahead and ask for ready made circuit diagram & even a working model!...
    Can you believe that there are shops that make these projects!! Forget college, even school students who have to make projects (in 10th and 12th) do not make them anymore. They just go to any one of these shops and look at the catalogue and decide what project they want to do!!
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I think we should open such a shop. What say mad_scientist? You are also from Delhi, we can start one together in partnership.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    not a bad idea!! Something like "The Crazy Project Shop"!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ash & I had been discussing this for a long time. We had initially discussed about setting up a team on CrazyEngineers that will create presentations on various topics and make them available on CE downloads.

Each PPT will be priced suitably and revenue will be shared with the creator/contributor. If you all like this idea, this can be very well implemented. All we need to do is come up with world-class presentations in our free time. What say you?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Why they are approach towards ready projects?

In our education system MARKS dependent. Those students who are asking for ready project. Either they have no knowledge of practicle or they don't want to give more time in practicle rather than that they will buy ready project and using this time in reading other subject and scoring in theory. Some of them have no even basic idea about their field they are totally oriented with scoring marks.

Yes said earlier they want to impress their professors, friends.

And the main two things is that
    they are afraid of failure,
    Thats why not trying to make anything by themselves

and the main points they are lazy not crazy.

These type of students count is huge one.

Yeah Patty let me know if you are going to start any shop. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    And yes because of this there is a huge market for project developers training institutes.
    @biggie:
    with this PPT how if we can add project also.

See even in techfest mostly projects are readymade like line follower robot, racing robot etc.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Godfather: Did you mean we send them the prototype as well? Well, this one is bit of a bigger task. If we are to start; we should start with the power point presentations.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Yeah it's a bit bigger task for that we need a team for project development. And some investment also.
    Start with power point presentation is good in next version we will try implement this idea.
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    woah presentation deals going on here?
    I can trade lol
    I have been making a presentation from like whole last week, I guess I will finish it today or maximum tomorrow, its the best I have ever made. lolz

and yeah ready made projects, they are available near my house, even I make them well only for my classmates though, with like 200 Rs. profit behind each lolz well that varies acc to project though.

I guess colleges should make a pattern for project submission, I presented this in my college for final year students, the approved it but didn't implement it properly enough.

1. Teachers find appropriate projects ideas and distribute them in students and ask them to only make that except if the students have a better idea.
    2. Before accepting the project teachers need to ask questions to make sure that students made the projects themselves.
    3. The project report should contain the pictures of "In-Making" project with a complete series from beginning to the end.

Just complete these things and students will have to do these by their own wheather they like it or not.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ah, we seriously want to pursue the idea of ready made projects?

So much for changing the mindset of future engineers ๐Ÿ˜‰

Looks like we will profit from their desperation instead eh.
  • mann
    mann
    I think kashish has said the right thing.
    Its you all only who say that one should be innovative and now if you will also start the same business you really think you are helping them.
    Too bad. I joined this site specifically because of this reason that you help in thinking creative rather than spoonfeeding.Instead of finding solution to this really major issue you are heading towards making the situation worse.๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    mann
    I joined this site specifically because of this reason that you help in thinking creative rather than spoonfeeding.Instead of finding solution to this really major issue you are heading towards making the situation worse.๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜ฒ
    We never spoonfeed. This is not just a 'homework help' site. We expect our members to work on their own, share their ideas with us and then other CEans will help in expanding the ideas presented.

Simply saying "Give me an innovative project idea" isn't really what we expect our members to say. Rather, tell us what you've done, thought so far and we'll be happy to help.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    mann
    I think kashish has said the right thing.
    Its you all only who say that one should be innovative and now if you will also start the same business you really think you are helping them.
    Too bad. I joined this site specifically because of this reason that you help in thinking creative rather than spoonfeeding.Instead of finding solution to this really major issue you are heading towards making the situation worse.๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜ฒ
    Have you heard of the term "sarcasm". If not, then I suggest you look it up in the dictionary and then re-read post numbers 8,9,10 and 11 of this tthread.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Whats the difference between CNC and NC machine and do u people know any institute which teaches CNC programming
hi , folks In my school they thought me SQL (oracle 9i/10g). which uses SQL plus if i am correct. Now this year they thougth just a brief introduction of...
I am having trouble in developing the dot net app. Well, I want my application to access browser. How to do this? When I am quitting my browser It should...
Hello everyone... We can try to introduce a CE REFERRAL REWARDS PROGRAM. In this program existing members Beyond a certain rank will be entitled to referrals. They will be able...
Can someone help me understand what is "Inductive Capacitance", "Inductive Reactance" and "Capacitive Reactance"?