What is "Inductive Capacitance", "Inductive Reactance" and "Capacitive Reactance"?

What is "Inductive Capacitance", "Inductive Reactance" and "Capacitive Reactance"?

It seems there's a bit of confusion in the terms you've asked about. "Inductive capacitance" is not a standard term in the field of electronics or physics.

There are two distinct concepts that are fundamental to understanding electronics and electromagnetic fields: inductance and capacitance. I will explain each of these separately.

1. Inductance: This refers to the property of a conductor by which a change in current in the conductor induces a voltage in itself and in any nearby conductors.

This is most often encountered in the context of coils (or inductors). The inductance (L) of a coil is dependent on its physical characteristics - how many turns it has, its area, and its length. It's measured in henries (H). The induced voltage is given by Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction as:

E = -L * (dI/dt)

where E is the induced electromotive force (voltage), L is the inductance, and dI/dt is the rate of change of current with respect to time.

Inductors are used in various applications such as power supplies, transformers, radios, televisions, and digital communications systems.

2. Capacitance: Capacitance is the measure of a capacitor's ability to store an electric charge.

A capacitor is made of two conductive plates separated by an insulator (or dielectric).

When voltage is applied across the plates, an electric field is generated in the capacitor, and charge is stored. The capacitance (C) is given by the ratio of the charge (Q) stored in the capacitor to the voltage (V) across it:

C = Q/V

Capacitance is measured in farads (F).

Capacitors have a variety of uses in electronic and electrical systems, including filtering noise, tuning radios, and in power supplies where they smooth the output of rectifiers.

Often, inductance and capacitance are paired together in circuits to create LC circuits, also known as resonant circuits or tuned circuits.

These circuits are fundamental in many types of electronic devices, including radios and television sets, where they are used to tune to specific frequencies.

In a LC circuit, the resonance frequency (f) is given by:

f = 1/(2*pi*sqrt(LC))

where L is the inductance, C is the capacitance, and pi is approximately 3.14159.

Now, let’s look at the other two terms you asked about.

"Inductive Reactance" or "Capacitive Reactance," these are indeed valid terms in electronics, and here's what they refer to:

1. Inductive Reactance (X_L): It is a measure of a coil's (or inductor's) opposition to alternating current (AC). Unlike resistance which opposes both direct current (DC) and AC, reactance only applies to AC. The inductive reactance increases with increasing frequency of the AC. The formula to calculate inductive reactance is:

X_L = 2πfL

where X_L is the inductive reactance, f is the frequency of the AC, and L is the inductance of the coil. The unit of inductive reactance is ohms.

2. Capacitive Reactance (X_C): It is the opposition that a capacitor offers to alternating current (AC). Like inductive reactance, capacitive reactance also applies only to AC. However, unlike inductive reactance, capacitive reactance decreases with increasing frequency of the AC. The formula to calculate capacitive reactance is:

X_C = 1/(2πfC)

where X_C is the capacitive reactance, f is the frequency of the AC, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor. The unit of capacitive reactance is ohms.

In an AC circuit, the impedance (Z) - which is the total opposition to current - is a complex quantity that comprises resistance (R) and reactance (either inductive or capacitive).

When both inductors and capacitors are present, the total reactance (X) is the difference between the inductive reactance and the capacitive reactance (X_L - X_C).

Please let me know if this clears the confusion you’ve had. If you have follow-up questions, I will be be more than happy to help you.

Replies

• kashish0711
    kashish0711
    The amount of electric charge that an inductive material can store.

This was made up by me, but well not from scratch

Inductive means something that offers inductance like a coil, capacitance is the amount of charge that can be stored, so inductive capacitance should mean "The amount of electric charge that an inductive material can store."

Can't be 100% sure, but I think this should mean this, and I don't think such material exists which offers both inductance and capacitance, this might be a property of a circuit containing both inductive and capacitive materials.
  • swapnakumar
    swapnakumar
    did you mean inductive reactance? or capacitive reactance?
  • ashu9442
    ashu9442
    it is not "inductive capacitance"it may be either
    inductive reactance
    or inductive capacitance
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    In general capacitance is the ability of a body to hold an electrical charge. Capacitance is also a measure of the amount of electric charge stored (or separated) for a given electric potential.
    Sorry i don't know about inductive capacitance...
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    INDUCTIVE REACTANCE
    When the current flowing through an inductor continuously reverses itself, as in the case of an ac source, the inertia effect of the cemf is greater than with dc. The greater the amount of inductance (L), the greater the opposition from this inertia effect. Also, the faster the reversal of current, the greater this inertial opposition. This opposing force which an inductor presents to the FLOW of alternating current cannot be called resistance, since it is not the result of friction within a conductor. The name given to it is INDUCTIVE REACTANCE because it is the "reaction" of the inductor to the changing value of alternating current. Inductive reactance is measured in ohms and its symbol is XL.
    As you know, the induced voltage in a conductor is proportional to the rate at which magnetic lines of force cut the conductor. The greater the rate (the higher the frequency), the greater the cemf. Also, the induced voltage increases with an increase in inductance; the more ampere-turns, the greater the cemf. Reactance, then, increases with an increase of frequency and with an increase of inductance. The formula for inductive reactance is as follows:
    [​IMG]
  • 360degrees
    360degrees
    Heyy...R u talking about the usage of capacitor for the required inductance in FM transmission?????
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    hey there is no such as inductive capacitance yar..it might be inductive reactance or capacitive reactance or else if an voltage is applied to the capacitor the voltage gets transferred through induction property which might be called inductive capacitance(i think so..) but there is nothing such as inductive capacitance..
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    Kashish I believe what you are trying to say is absolutely correct. The reason may be understood if we refer to this image:

[​IMG]

Two points are worth noting:

1. The conductors are insulated.
    2. Between two consecutive turns of the conductor, the insulator acts as the seperation.

Conclusion:

1. The Conductors act as plates of the capacitor and the insulaing material between any two turns can be regarded as a very good dielectric material. So each turn constitutes a capacitor.

2. The capacitance is bound to be extremely small because the seperation betwwen the plates (i.e the conductors) is possibly of mm order. This is fairly large, considering that the capacitance is inversely proportional to the seperation.

3. ALSO A VERY IMPORTANT POINT: Considering the consecutive turns the capacitors are connected in series. So the net capacitance will be very low.

Please rectify me if Im incorrect. These are entirely my views.
  • Kenshin
    Kenshin
    @SIlenthorde

You are perfectly correct, we had this in syllabus.😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

"wht you worry about if you have nothing to looooose" ​just discuss & reply the views
I have done B.Tech.(Comp Science) and currently doing a job in TechMahindra since August2008 with bond valid upto Aug2010. I wanna pursue career in information security & planning to do...
do u think in which way we ll get job . i m in 3rd year i do not know where is job vacancy.my aim is to study m.tech but...
i confuse in balancing the reactions,and some basic concept. how i will it cover up?😔😔
Hello, How to connect LEDs in 3 phase 415Vac supply to indicate availability/loss of phase?