1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

Why is transformer a passive circuit?

Question asked by harish3h in #Electronics on Nov 28, 2010
harish3h
harish3h 路 Nov 28, 2010
Rank E1 - BEGINNER

Can anyone help me out in explaining why transformers are considered as passive circuits. Transformers performs by stepping up/down voltage/current,changes low input power to high output and vice versa.

But these are the basic definitions of an active device.A transistor also does this.Then why is transformer called a passive device?

Plz help me fellows馃槖

Posted in: #Electronics
chandujntu
chandujntu 路 Nov 28, 2010
Rank E2 - BEGINNER
Active components are those that have gain or directionality... Transformers simply convert one voltage level to another . but are not related with any gain terms. In case of transistors we have both gain and directionality features... Hence, transistors are active devices while transformers are passive..
ISHAN TOPRE
ISHAN TOPRE 路 Nov 28, 2010
Rank A2 - PRO
Harish3h,
A passive device is one which do not use its power or charge i.e; any active component for working of devices.In case of transformers it is the no.of turns of winding which is constant is used to merely step up or down voltage or current.
The magnetic flux is linked with the coils due to current flowing through the coil and nothing more.Hence Transformer is a passive device.
narayana murthy
narayana murthy 路 Nov 29, 2010
Rank A3 - PRO
not only these frequency also plays role in transformer as it is ac device so u can also concentrate on frequency i think it may be not the exact ans for ur question but it may help u so iam posting anyway if i found ans i will post again
harish3h
harish3h 路 Nov 30, 2010
Rank E1 - BEGINNER
Thank u guys.. i'm enlightened
nsiva007
nsiva007 路 Nov 30, 2010
Rank D2 - MASTER
Transformers performs by stepping up/down voltage/current,changes low input power to high output and vice versa.
In a transformer the input power and output power are the same....! i.e, V1xI1 = V2xI2,thus you get V1/V2 =I2/I1.... this is transformer ration...! By the way an Active element is the one that produces a Voltage or Current.... i.e a potential source or current source ,battery etc..! Transformer doesn't produce any power voltage or current...! hence its not an active component in a circuit...!
Kavya Burramolla
Kavya Burramolla 路 Feb 4, 2020
Rank C1 - EXPERT

Transformer is a passive device the reason being when it is excited with the supply voltage it either step up or step down or produces the same voltage at the output end depending up on the application. But it will not have the ability to control the flow of electrical charge. Whereas active devices can control the flow of electrical charge.聽

Durgesh Srivastava
Durgesh Srivastava 路 Feb 20, 2020
Rank C1 - EXPERT

The magnetic flux is linked with the coils due to current flowing through the coil and nothing more. Hence Transformer is a passive device. Transformers performs by stepping up/down voltage/current,changes low input power to high output. Whereas active devices can control the flow of electrical charge.

Venkat Sai Nakkina
Venkat Sai Nakkina 路 Mar 8, 2020
Rank C3 - EXPERT

In a transformer the input power and output power are the same. An Active element is the one that produces Voltage or Current. Transformer doesn't produce any power voltage or current. Hence Transformer is not an active device it is a passive device.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up