What are the hot topics asked in technical aptitude rounds of interviews in startups?

what are the hot topics that are asked in technical aptitude rounds in an interview, especially in a startup?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

That's a very general question. What technology / domain does the startup work in? You should expect questions related to that domain or technology. Also, we do not know if you have professional experience. If you have; then be prepared to answer questions about the technology and projects that you've worked on and any significant achievements you've had in your career so far. 

PS: Please take a moment to tell us a bit about you and some background about the question so that we can help you better.

• Harsha Swamy
    Harsha Swamy

Actually I am a fresher so i was hoping that there are some general topics or FAQ's like Strings etc that they would ask in an interview irrespective of the domain that they work on. Based on the subjects I mean

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Well, if the founders or the high-level people in the startup are interviewing you; you should prepare for the questions on the actual technology they work on. It'll be your job to find that out. I'm assuming that you're interviewing for a company that primarily develops some sort of software. 

Find out their technology stack. Let's say they primarily work on Java and Angular. If that's the case, be prepared to handle questions on these technologies. Better - if you could demonstrate some kind of certification or expertise in the relevant tools or technologies. 

If they aren't particularly looking for a specific skills-set and are okay with recruiting freshers; they're going to expect you to be thorough with the engineering subjects that you studied. 

Start by preparing for the regular coding questions, sorting algorithms, be prepared to write a program on paper or on terminal right in the middle of the Interview. I've seen startup founders actually asking the candidates to write code in front of them to find out if the candidate can think in the right direction. 

You could ask some basic questions like OOP programming concepts. You will get plenty of interview questions; but it'd have been better if you had shared some information about the technology or domain the startup works on. 

The right strategy to follow would be to be thorough with the skills set that you've mentioned on your resume. If you've mentioned C++ - they're more likely to ask you questions on C++ programming. 

I hope this helps. All the best! 

• Rashmi Gandhi
    Rashmi Gandhi

#-Link-Snipped-# My topic wise suggestions for this would be -

1. Programming Basic concepts
    2. Algorithms (MUST!) - If you know these it means you know how to code on your own.

For eg: 

• Insertion sort | Selection sort | Bubble sort | Merge Sort | Quicksort | Heap Sort
    • Binary Search - Breadth First Search (BFS) and Depth First Search (DFS)
    • Inorder, Preorder, Postorder Tree Traversals
    • Kruskal’s Algorithm for finding Minimum Spanning Tree
    • Dijkstra’s Algorithm for Single-Source Shortest Paths

3. Practice writing code for problem statements like -

• How do you reverse a linked list?
    • How do you reverse a singly linked list without recursion?
    • How are duplicate nodes removed in an unsorted linked list?
    • You’re given a Boolean 2D matrix; can you find the number of islands?
    • ... and so on! You know the drill..

Remember that at the end of the day.. they are looking for someone who can write code on their own. If you say you know a programming language..that's great! But you should be able to prove it. 

If they think you know the logic behind programming, they will take you, train you (on their technologies) and put you on the job.

Like #-Link-Snipped-# said above, it is a HUGE plus if you know WHAT technology they are working on and have it on your skillset (so that they dont need to train you)

Do ask further questions..if you have more.

• Harsha Swamy
    Harsha Swamy

This completely answers my question... thank you...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HelloI need help in creating a signal Jammer which can block all frequencies from 3 KHZ to 300 GHZ.This may be very complicated to start with so would like to...
The Government of France has decided to not allow smartphones in schools. The French Government believes that it will encourage students to talk to each other more and concentrate on...
As a fresher how can we get a job in a start-up with limited coding knowledge
? It's been my dream for long. I just want to set my goals right. Any inputs, engineers?
Let s and t be two vertices in a undirected graph G=(V,E) having distinct positive edge weights. Let [X,Y] be a partition of V such that s∈X and t∈Y. Consider...