View Feed
group-icon
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12915 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Feb 6, 2012

What are main attractions for non computer engineer to join IT company?

A lot of my friends, from the non computer discipline have joined and now settled in the IT field as software developers, consultants and software QA engineers. If your story is similar (non computer engineer working or aspiring to work in the IT) we'd like to know what are the main attractions that the IT offers that make you divorce your engineering trade and settle for IT?

Looking forward to interesting answers, opinions.
ISHAN TOPRE
ISHAN TOPRE • Feb 6, 2012
What I see is that many computer companies prefer Non CS/ IT people. This is because core branch people are willing to learn what they do not know (C, C++. Java etc).
As far as I am aware, all students who appeared for computer company recruitment process were selected.

However, the actual scenario is contrary to what you are saying. Many of my friends do not wish to join. To give you exact figures, almost everyone from my branch has been selected in some or the other computer company. But very few (5-6) will be finally joining.
Kaustubh Katdare
I'm just asking! For me (I'm an Electrical Engineer) - I was completely clueless and didn't know what to do. Plus when I graduated, there was recession going on and none of us could find jobs. I finally got two offers and decided to join a company that was a quick walk away from my home 😁
aarthivg
aarthivg • Feb 6, 2012
i am doing my final year electrical engineering, i have got placed in an IT company 3 months ago. and now i am not allowed to any other placements, going to miss my electricalπŸ˜”
Kaustubh Katdare
aarthivg
i am doing my final year electrical engineering, i have got placed in an IT company 3 months ago. and now i am not allowed to any other placements, going to miss my electricalπŸ˜”
Why did you appear for IT company recruitment procedure in first place? From your posts, I can see that you're genuinely interested in Electrical & Electronics engineering.
aarthivg
aarthivg • Feb 6, 2012
The_Big_K
Why did you appear for IT company recruitment procedure in first place? From your posts, I can see that you're genuinely interested in Electrical & Electronics engineering.
i was forced to appear for it, πŸ˜”
Moreover the electrical based companies, they are not recruiting girls .

but the big problem is that, i don't no any thing regarding programming, don't have even basic knowledge about it. cant even understand whats going on in computer science and it forum in ce
Dancer_Engineer
Dancer_Engineer • Feb 6, 2012
The_Big_K
I finally got two offers and decided to join a company that was a quick walk away from my home 😁
LOL 😁
aarthivg
Same is the rule that is followed by my college too. I guess it is a National rule for engineering colleges in India. 😑
Kaustubh Katdare
aarthivg
Moreover the electrical based companies, they are not recruiting girls .
Are you sure? Did they specifically say so? This is serious.
aarthivg
aarthivg • Feb 6, 2012
The_Big_K
Are you sure? Did they specifically say so? This is serious.
yes. there were core companies, only my class guys attending it. In eligibility itself, they had specified its only for guys.
aarthivg
aarthivg • Feb 6, 2012
Dancer_Engineer
LOL 😁
Same is the rule that is followed by my college too. I guess it is a National rule for engineering colleges in India. 😑
right, but my college give preference to their package, if its less means they may allow sometimes.
Kaustubh Katdare
aarthivg
yes. there were core companies, only my class guys attending it. In eligibility itself, they had specified its only for guys.
Did anyone care to ask them 'why'? I'm suddenly reminded of Sudha Murthy - who wrote a letter to JRD TATA complaining against the discrimination during TATA's recruitment process.

I'm surprised.
ISHAN TOPRE
aarthivg
but the big problem is that, i don't no any thing regarding programming, don't have even basic knowledge about it. cant even understand whats going on in computer science and it forum in ce
Life is actually simple. I am unable to understand why people count so much on campus recruitment. As if the companies in this world are going to end. For those who haven't got any employment- always bear in mind, your luck has got something in store for you!

There are people whom I know are illiterate but are still ahead of many of us (playing in tens of millions!). Some are sitting next to me at this moment! 😁

I think we should believe deeply in this statement- I will do something or the other (good) with my life.

The_Big_K
Did anyone care to ask them 'why'? I'm suddenly reminded of Sudha Murthy - who wrote a letter to JRD TATA complaining against the discrimination during TATA's recruitment process.

I'm surprised.
Sudha Murthy has got talent!
aarthivg
aarthivg • Feb 6, 2012
The_Big_K

I'm surprised.
but this has become a normal, for us. In core companies they wont recruit girls.
we cant question them, if we start questioning that particular company, even the guys may lose their placement opportunity.
In college, they ask us to go to IT field or become lectures.
So we remain in silence.
ISHAN TOPRE
aarthivg
but this has become a normal, for us. In core companies they wont recruit girls.
we cant question them, if we start questioning that particular company, even the guys may lose their placement opportunity.
In college, they ask us to go to IT field or become lectures.
So we remain in silence.
This is your life. You have the right to decide for it. If they don't listen slap them. Simple!
Kaustubh Katdare
At least you can go and ask them why aren't girls allowed. They should answer it! They might have a genuine reason (which is less likely).
aarthivg
aarthivg • Feb 6, 2012
Issue
Life is actually simple. I am unable to understand why people count so much on campus recruitment. As if the companies in this world are going to end. For those who haven't got any employment- always bear in mind, your luck has got something in store for you!

There are people whom I know are illiterate but are still ahead of many of us (playing in tens of millions!). Some are sitting next to me at this moment! 😁

I think we should believe deeply in this statement- I will do something or the other (good) with my life.

Sudha Murthy has got talent!
its easy to say, being a final year student without a job. its like a hell. we fel that whole world is questioning us.
ISHAN TOPRE
aarthivg
its easy to say, being a final year student without a job. its like a hell. we fel that whole world is questioning us.
ok a bit of smile should cheer you up πŸ˜€
aarthivg
aarthivg • Feb 6, 2012
The_Big_K
At least you can go and ask them why aren't girls allowed. They should answer it! They might have a genuine reason (which is less likely).
the problem over here is we are not allowed to communicate with them. we can only question our placement officer. and he says its their criteria.
aarthivg
aarthivg • Feb 6, 2012
Issue
ok a bit of smile should cheer you up πŸ˜€
thanks for your smile.
Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare • Feb 6, 2012
aarthivg
Quite surprising. Electrical engineering jobs shouldn't be gender specific.
I read this somewhere "Placements in Schneider Electric India Pvt Ltd for female mechanical students only" πŸ˜•
Why such biased attitude.. I wonder!
ISHAN TOPRE
AbraKaDabra
Quite surprising. Electrical engineering jobs shouldn't be gender specific.
I read this somewhere "Placements in Schneider Electric India Pvt Ltd for female mechanical students only" πŸ˜•
Why such biased attitude.. I wonder!
Just imagine the trauma of being an handsome unemployed male! 😁

Practically speaking, male students are expected to work for long hours without any complaint. While Females have household responsibilities. May be that is why the advertise is like that. πŸ˜€
Kaustubh Katdare
@Issue: What the 😯

My experience is different. All my male colleagues refused to work long hours and always had 2x more complaints than female colleagues.
Dancer_Engineer
Dancer_Engineer • Feb 6, 2012
Hmm. This thread is going off the track. πŸ˜€

And no one gave the correct answer for the thread topic. πŸ˜”
ISHAN TOPRE
The_Big_K
@Issue: What the 😯
I did not meant to offend. Apologies.

Share this content on your social channels -