USB Port Stopped Working On Windows XP SP2

hello!
I'm using Windows XP SP2. Heres my problem. My usb ports suddenly stopped working. just one day i went plugged in my flash D , it charged perfectly but my PC did not know anything was there. , when i turn it on PC doenst know anything is there. i've tried uninsalling the usb drivers in device manager and reinstalling, but that didn't work.

If anyone has any way to figure out what's wrong with them other than formating and reinstalling windows.

thanks

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think your solution lies in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: #-Link-Snipped-# . Let us know if that helps.
  • joseph siomn
    joseph siomn
    still not work. i fool all the step and i not solve my problem.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    joseph siomn
    still not work. i fool all the step and i not solve my problem.
    Is the problem only with the USB port where you had connected your Flash Drive or all the USB ports on your computer? Usually disabling and reenabling the USB controller should fix your problem. Have you tried upgrading your operating system to Windows XP SP3?
  • joseph siomn
    joseph siomn
    still! not work,,again.. i think to change the os to window 7 professional os.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    joseph siomn
    still! not work,,again.. i think to change the os to window 7 professional os.
    It'd be better idea to check if the USB port isn't damaged. If you followed the instructions mentioned on the Microsoft KB and things didn't work well; it'd be a better idea to check if the USB port is working fine. One way to check this is to load uBuntu Live CD and check if the port is working well. You'll then be sure that it's the software problem than a hardware problem.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Before that do check whether the power line to the USB HUB is working properly It seems as though the USB is not getting turned on that is all try to servise the device and If that does not solve the issue try to Change the USB ports in it

Upgrading OS can't remove hardware problems

PS Yeah I miss timed my post do what Biggie says and post again
  • joseph siomn
    joseph siomn
    when i plug a flash drive (pen stick) into the ports and see the light comes on 2. . also when the flash are on the port i get sign the device not support..and when i plug modem the show it executed by the FLASH LIGHT on that modem.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Then your flash drive is not responding to older versions of USB port Replacing that can solve the issue

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google recently lost one of their top executives, Marisa Mayer to Yahoo - which was once Google's top search rival. Things haven't been very good at Yahoo all through the...
This interesting question popped up when a CEan sent me a note in PM asking whether there was a way to share animated GIFs on Facebook Walls or other people's...
which technology is better in mobile communication? CDMA or GSM? why? why CDMA mobiles come with inbuilt SIM card?
I'm wondering whether it's possible to stream video via bluetooth between a laptop and say a mobile or another laptop? I know Wi-Fi would make the job easy, but we're...
Hi guys !! I desperately need your help. First let me tell you about myself: I did my engg.(IT) from Pune university this year.I haven't got a job until now(haven't...