the golden ratio

hey guys... i wuld lyk to tell u about the golden ratio...
most of u all will be already familiar with it.. most of u all wuld hav read abt it in the da vinci code...by there is more to it...
the golden ratio or the golden proportion is also called the divine proportion...its a greek letter called phi...with its value of 1.618(i m not accurate abt it)...but yest this feature is of great importance in nature...closely studyin the human anatomy a lot is related to it..great drawings lyk the monalisa , the last supper have this ratio...not to forget our greek temples,taj mahal,the pyramids etc..anything having these ratios is said to be aesthetically pleasing ... nowadays company logos also have this...there is a software called phimatrix doing this...i wuld lyk u ppl to view more about this on youtube ..
my question is that can this in anyway used in machine designing..

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    great finding jishu

as for your question, regarding the usage of this ratio in machine design, well i am not so sure, but i have a feeling that i used this kind of values very frequently in finite element methods.
  • jishnu nair
    jishnu nair
    zaveri
    great finding jishu

as for your question, regarding the usage of this ratio in machine design, well i am not so sure, but i have a feeling that i used this kind of values very frequently in finite element methods.
    i m glad u have heard about it....i m sorry...i just passed out 12th...can u explain me what is finite elemental methods?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    jishnu nair
    i m glad u have heard about it....i m sorry...i just passed out 12th...can u explain me what is finite elemental methods?
    now that is a long technical story.

but to make it short, it is a method of finding stresses, strains, thermal stresses, and various other effects at each and every point on a component.
  • jishnu nair
    jishnu nair
    zaveri
    now that is a long technical story.

but to make it short, it is a method of finding stresses, strains, thermal stresses, and various other effects at each and every point on a component.
    thankss a lot buddy
  • roon.mech
    roon.mech
    I know what the golden ratio is. its fascinating stuff! its definitely an interesting question as to whether using this ratio will help provide a 'perfect' mechanical design. Let us know jishnu if you dig up something!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Looking for basic information on what is the efficiency of air compressor and how is it defined. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Name:Lon *Engineering Trade: IT Location:Rochester NY *Occupation: Network Admin Work Experience: Used to do component level repair on printers, CRTs, even keybords for an automotive parts retail chain in SE...
According to Manmohan Singh's new plan, every family below poverty line will soon get a cell phone for free. Official announcement of the scheme (worth Rs. 7000 crore) is expected...
I am sharing a POTS line with a MFD device and an outgoing-only fax modem. The fax modem is on an unsupported RISC box with unsupported proprietary fax & ERP...
I have a question related to electrical engineering. How do we save electricity in regenerative braking? Does anyone have an idea about this?