Switching from 12v to 9v

How can I switch from a 12v DC source to a 9v DC source? Something like an automatic transfer switch? The main source is the 12v. If the 12v goes off, it should automatically change to the 9v.
Is there any device that does it automatically or do I have to do it using a μcontroller? Where should I look?

Replies

• Ichigo
    Ichigo
    The main source is the 12v. If the 12v goes off, it should automatically change to the 9v. But once 12v comes back it should switch back to 12v.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    uC is the way to go.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    hi, use a 12v relay to operate this concept in simple way.connect main terminals of relay to 12v and also pin(NO) T1 and 9v to T2(NC) then comm is connected to load.as fig's shows the two different mode first is operated with 12v and 12v output and then below one is operated normally at off of 12v it is at 9v.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    please follow the figs in following link.
    Dropbox - Error
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    May be all that you need is a forward biased diode in series with the 9V +ve terminal.
    When the 12V is on this diode will be reverse biased and will not conduct. When the 12 V is off the diode is forward biased and conducts. No relays or other circuits.
    I have used such a configuration. It works.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    ya sir it is also works.........thank you for reducing the circuit concept..
  • AT-OK
    AT-OK
    Just a bit of extention to Mr.#-Link-Snipped-#'s Ans.
    Diode must be able to switch fast.
    Prefer using the schottky diode.
    Best of Luck 👍
  • Ichigo
    Ichigo
    AT-OK
    Just a bit of extention to Mr.#-Link-Snipped-#'s Ans.
    Diode must be able to switch fast.
    Prefer using the schottky diode.
    Best of Luck 👍
    Thanks to all of you mates
  • oprime
    oprime
    #-Link-Snipped-# Should we not put diodes in series with both 9V & 12V source?
    If we put diode in only 9V connection, when 12V source turns off, the current which is flowing from 9V source will enter the 12V source too and try to charge it.
  • AT-OK
    AT-OK
    #-Link-Snipped-# :Yes,you are right,Buddy.

It need 2 Diodes to make the system work.
    Try using #-Link-Snipped-# <--Double Schotky Diode.

Nice Observation.😉
  • n.rajeev sharma
    n.rajeev sharma
    i think relay will give u the chance and uc can be exact
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    n.rajeev sharma
    i think relay will give u the chance and uc can be exact
    Uc is the most expensive But the most reliable once we can ever think of in solving this issue

If the tolerance is to be less than 1% go for uC else for such a simple application that is a pricy solution
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    oprime
    #-Link-Snipped-# Should we not put diodes in series with both 9V & 12V source?
    If we put diode in only 9V connection, when 12V source turns off, the current which is flowing from 9V source will enter the 12V source too and try to charge it.
    Not if it (12 v supply)is a usual transformer- rectifier kind of supply. The diodes of the rectifier themselves will block the reverse current.
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    The diodes are the absolute best solution, if you can tolerate the voltage drop and corresponding power loss across them.

I've seen them referenced as "auctioneering diodes", which seems like an apt name. There's an ongoing auction for who supplies the current, and the source with the biggest voltage wins the bid at that instant.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What are the differences between Data Administrator (DA) and Database Administrator (DBA) roles in any organization?
It's been just over a week since Google announced its plans to extend Fiber to the City of Violet Crown, Austin, Texas and we already know where to next. Provo,...
Moborobo allows you to manage your Android device from your PC with ease. You can backup/restore contacts, SMS and Apps; send/receive SMS from PC; download Apps, wallpapers & themes; sync...
please let me know the site where i'll get all electrical formula list. Anirudha
Commuters who are saving to buy their first two-wheeler are reading it all over the news. Honda has launched a new bike, handsomely named 'Dream Neo', that caters to the...