Super Cloth That Never Gets Dirty, Detects Explosives And Charges Mobile Phones!

"Fashion resides in Paris" this is what a common notion is! However there can be little change in locations to a laboratory thanks to a talented 41 year old chemist Juan Hinestroza. The scientist has integrated the best of the nanotechnology with cotton to design a completely new fabric granting it a status of super cloth. According to reports, the fabric so designed can function in efficient and in a surprising way. Mr. Hinestroza has developed a cloth which can repel dirt, toxic gases, even charge your cell phone! Not to mention that it can change colors.
#-Link-Snipped-#
 The technology he and his team used sounds simple. In this experiment, the team dealt with nanoparticles which are particles around 1000-2000 times smaller than the diameter of an average human hair. The cotton when treated with these particles renders them electrically conductive. You need not connect this to an electrical source though! Moreover, if you want to change the color of your jacket made up of this fabric, you will be able to do that easily.

Hinestroza, who is the director of Cornell's Nanotechnology Laboratory in New York, has #-Link-Snipped-# to make them withstand bacteria, conduct electricity and even detect chemicals like drugs and explosives. The basic purpose of this experiment was to find smart cloth which will be beneficial in many ways, while combining it with fashion looks to be a secondary applications. The direct applications of the cloth are in the homeland security for firefighters where light and comfortable clothing will be welcome and for soldiers who have a tough time dealing with insurgents and enemy on borders.

What Hinestroza is concerned about is we know a very little long term effects of this fabric. Looking at the short term benefits, we cannot claim many of the things. His research has been oriented at the integration of centuries old fabric industry with the fast emerging nanotechnology. He believes that the technology can be brought soon to market, although, how much demand will it have in showrooms will be a matter of speculation.

The cloth which almost never fades will completely revolutionize the industry and science. As for Mr. Hinestroza, and his love for science, he says,
Science was my driving force and it is what kept me alive. I became addicted to knowledge in some ways. I love this addiction because I like to know why things happen rather than just doing.

Let us hope many are inspired by his research.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Scientists have long tried to increase the strength of materials either by adopting some metallurgical process or by inventing a new material each time. It was in 2006 that a...
The BlackBerry App World 3.0 beta release was imminent for a long enough time now. The RIM smartphone users can now enjoy modernized designs and themes and start pinning new...
Taiwan based researchers at the Industrial Technology Research Institute have developed a new kind of e-paper that's both environment friendly and work without electricity. The new technology enables display of...
Japan's SONY corporation wants to make sure that the companies in Japan remain in operation during emergencies like Tsunami or Earthquakes. The biggest problem that follows after the earthquakes is...
It is hardly ever that anyone forgets about the destructive earthquakes that shake the world but it might be the first time that researchers have succeeded in recreating the terrible...