steam rankine cycle..

in simple rankine cycle the the hot steam from the boiler is passes through the turbine to produce shaft work.. after this that steam get condensed which still contains good amount of energy. so i just want to know that why we does not use that remaining energy contained in steam, by again passing it through turbine for its fully utilization or in other words why we need to condense it ? ?

Replies

• khaled hamza
    khaled hamza
    -I am Khaled Hamza , I work at power plant which produce electricity about 350MW
    -I want to add something to your words , that the main steam which comes from boiler is about ( 170 barg ) turns the turbine blades especially ( High Pressure Turbine blades ) , then the HP turbine Exhaust Steam is about ( 35 barg ) goes to the boiler again to produce ( hot reheat steam ) , hot reheat steam is back again to the turbine ( Intermediate Turbine Blades).
    -After that Steam goes to the ( Low pressure Turbine Blades , then the remaining steam is exhausted to the condenser to be condensate water by cooled water circulation at Condenser.
    -I will attach a figure which describe the above process , and a link to an article about this process.

#-Link-Snipped-#​

Electricity , Power generation ,Thermal power plant , Solar Energy , Generators , Green Energy: { BOILER AND TURBINE } CONTROL MODES
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    i guess its because the steam needs to have a good dryness fraction before it is passed through turbine. Might be that wet steam corrodes the blades..
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    @Amith :that's true .The dryness fraction needs to be greater than 0.85 else it will corrode the blades.
    @Khaled:Khaled ,I have seen notes which you contributed to CE they are nicely written and contains all necessary information which a person workking at powerplant needs to know...
    Thanks for that.Also can you confirm if you think what I posted to vvishwaskumar is correct or not,for my personal knowledge of course :smile:
  • Ankush Sharma
    Ankush Sharma
    dear the main reason behind it is, if we again want to use the steam in turbine then we have to give all the work obtained from the turbine to the compressor in order to compress the steam to increase the specific volume before using it in turbine. in actual, we have to give more work as compared to turbine work to the compressor.

and if struck in your mind that why we use compressor in order to do that? then the reason is that if we directly use the steam in turbine without compressing then we get less work as work output for steam flow is
    W=-(vdp) integrating from 1 to 2. so, larger the "v" using compressor we get larger work.

i hope its clear to you, if any doubt feel free to ask...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi every body. Actually my friend name is megha. she is a nice girl. But she will get angry even at small things. many of my friends are victims of...
Hi all, xScribble is an app I developed with the help of my friends as our Mini project at college. It is a Gtalk client, and the twist is that...
I just had an idea after being paid by two of this sites. They are paying 0.01 per advertisement click and you have to click on four adverts per day....
How can we recognize which plate in capacitor is negative and which one is positive?
hi guys, i'm a finalist and i have been assigned to develop an ilab for digital electronics experiments using labview, i real need some help on what to do. thanx