SSD - Solid State Drives. Guilty as charged for breaking speed limits

SSDs are super fast in transferring data.
This fascinating video shows how SSDs are manufactured and tested.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I am feeling guilty for not updating my machine to SSD 😖
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The biggest advantage with the SSDs is the R/W operations; however the big drawback associated is their limited life-span. If I'm not mistaken, SSDs don't support a large number of read & write operations. I had earlier wanted to move CE to SSD based server; but I was advised against it by the server administrators.

Would love to hear more on this from the experts here.
  • sksaxena
    sksaxena
    The_Big_K
    The biggest advantage with the SSDs is the R/W operations; however the big drawback associated is their limited life-span. If I'm not mistaken, SSDs don't support a large number of read & write operations. I had earlier wanted to move CE to SSD based server; but I was advised against it by the server administrators.
    Hope this article will clarify all the myths regarding Endurance of SSDs :

SSD endurance myths and legends articles on StorageSearch.com
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Corsair is providing 3 years warantee on SSD with 2000000 hours (Mean Time between Failures) = 228 years .
    I think that is enough. what you say.
  • sksaxena
    sksaxena
    ianoop
    Corsair is providing 3 years warantee on SSD with 2000000 hours (Mean Time between Failures) = 228 years .
    I think that is enough. what you say.
    That is what Iam trying to express. Raising questions on the endurance of SSDs is NOT valid unless and until you are a System Designer who must know the technicalities involved behind the working of SSD like performance measuring parameters for competing with competitors. For consumers, it's like no point to worry on this factor.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The_Big_K

Would love to hear more on this from the experts here.
    You were probably advised against it because they are using standard SSDs that won't last long in a server environment, rather than high end/premium SSDs that would cater specifically to server R/W loads.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I Have a serious doubt 😀 VECTOR QUANTITIES | SCALAR QUANTITIES Velocity=Displacement/Time | Speed=Distance/Time Acceleration=Velocity/Time | ??????=Speed/Time I Want to know what is speed/time in term of a scalar quantity..
How to apply for CDAC and what is the next date of the CCAT 2013 exam? I am looking for the Noida training center. Please provide me with the details.
actually i want to know that how a computer does work from starting when we put on the switch....i want to know the whole process....?
Congress of Metallurgical Professionals involving Students, Industry and Teachers (COMPOSIT) is a national meet conducted by the Society of Metallurgical Engineers (SME), Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Indian Institute...
The Entrepreneurship Summit (2nd-3rd Feb, 2013) is a unique initiative by The Entrepreneurship Cell, IIT Bombay, serving as a meeting ground for key industry leaders, corporates, budding entrepreneurs, investors and...