Speed By Time?

I Have a serious doubt 😀

VECTOR QUANTITIES | SCALAR QUANTITIES

Velocity=Displacement/Time | Speed=Distance/Time
Acceleration=Velocity/Time | ??????=Speed/Time

I Want to know what is speed/time in term of a scalar quantity..

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Velocity is vector. Speed is scalar. Speed is the magnitude of velocity. Velocity has direction. Acceleration magnitude will be obtained from the division of speed and time. The direction of acceleration can be obtained by differentiating the velocity vector.

gowthamanbu
    I Want to know what is speed/time in term of a scalar quantity..
    The answer to your question is magnitude of acceleration i.e.; |avector|
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Anbu, Acceleration is Rate of change of velocity. Speed /time has no meaning, though it has the units of acceleration.
    The problem with velocity is that as #-Link-Snipped-# said it is a vector. It has both a value and a direction.

The velocity changes if either speed or direction or both change.

It is important to have this clear. Consider an object, say the Earth spinning around the Sun. It takes the same one year for a full orbit. The speed of the earth in its orbit (in terms of km/sec) does not change. The Sun has a gravitational pull on Earth trying to pull it into the Sun.
    Why does not the Earth fall into the Sun?
    Because though the speed of the Earth in its orbit is fixed, its direction is continuously changing at the rate of about one degree/day. So, though its speed is constant the Velocity is changing.
    Acceleration = (change in velocity/time), which means that Earth experiences an acceleration away from the Sun. The value of this exactly matches the acceleration due to Sun's gravity pulling the Earth towards the Sun . The two cancel and so Earth is in a stable orbit.[/quote]
  • gowthamanbu
    gowthamanbu
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# I think am Clear now!!!😀 Thanks For Your Help!!
    🎉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How to apply for CDAC and what is the next date of the CCAT 2013 exam? I am looking for the Noida training center. Please provide me with the details.
actually i want to know that how a computer does work from starting when we put on the switch....i want to know the whole process....?
Congress of Metallurgical Professionals involving Students, Industry and Teachers (COMPOSIT) is a national meet conducted by the Society of Metallurgical Engineers (SME), Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Indian Institute...
The Entrepreneurship Summit (2nd-3rd Feb, 2013) is a unique initiative by The Entrepreneurship Cell, IIT Bombay, serving as a meeting ground for key industry leaders, corporates, budding entrepreneurs, investors and...
In hardly 10 days of Fedora 18 : Spherical Cow release, the Fedora 19 a.k.a Schrodinger's Cat's features & upcoming changes has been proposed in official website. 1) GCC 4.8...